Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

False knock....where to look?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So I am starting this thread about where are some good places for others to look for false knock around the Vehicle instead of dumping e85 to determine if its false or not. We are talking about things vibrating...rubbing...clanking Etc. So feel free to post your findings to help others.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
False knock in that you're hearing something or that it's showing up as knock on the AP? When I first bought the car, I had some "knock" noises (particularly when the engine was cold) that were quickly resolved with an upgraded RMM and upgraded exhaust hangers.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
Showing up on the Ap3 with Neg.corrections randomly. I'm going to look over my mounts and intercooler clamps tomorrow afternoon. Went over the Exhaust today....took off my Turbo blanket to look at my turbo..Think I may have found something there but have to really get in there today when I get home from work.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Charge piping rubbing or hitting might cause it.

I get random corrections as well. Last way too big part i still have on is the hot side pipe. Which i know hits the chassis brace.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #5
I think I have found where my Gen2 contacts the Block on the backside of the engine. this may be a possible source of false knock.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
That would do it. Harmonics and all that sending resonance through the block to the knock sensor.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #7
That's what I'm thinking also....now I just gotta get my Dremel in there and do a little filing. Thought maybe id get lucky and it would be exhaust....took a rubber mallet to it to see if I could get and differentiation in sound as I hit on it moving down to the tips.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
These cars have a suoer sensitive knock system too. I wonder how many engines got trashed due to sometbing as simple as bad harmonics.

Exhaust leaks near the Down pipe and cat back will cause this too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How so?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
When my rpm range would hit a certain note it would register the knock sensors like crazy. The last thing I changed was the cat back so sure enough I tightened the will to live out of the flange bolts and all was good. They are essentially mics so it made sense.

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #13
When my rpm range would hit a certain note it would register the knock sensors like crazy. The last thing I changed was the cat back so sure enough tighten the will go live out of the flange bolts and all was good. They are essentially mics so it made sense.

Very interesting...never thought about this

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #14
Well I will come forth at 61k My Boomba mount inserts in the urethane have decided to start spinning in the urethane and making a clicking noise/feeling when turned with your fingers. I went from seeing Negative corrections of -3 to as high as -5 to seeing -1 and lower now with the Stock Mount back in place. The Vehicles performance has drastically improved now...its Freakish. its crazy how much that false knock and - corrections can cut into your performance. I hope this helps others...just because something looks fine to the naked eye doesn't mean it is still in working order.

Well I will come forth at 61k My Boomba mount inserts in the urethane have decided to start spinning in the urethane and making a clicking noise/feeling when turned with your fingers. I went from seeing Negative corrections of -3 to as high as -5 to seeing -1 and lower now with the Stock Mount back in place. The Vehicles performance has drastically improved now...its Freakish. its crazy how much that false knock and - corrections can cut into your performance. I hope this helps others...just because something looks fine to the naked eye doesn't mean it is still in working order.

Itā€™s a crazy difference for sure but Iā€™m glad you got it sorted

OP
TyphoonFiST

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #17
I'd like to get it more calmer than it is now. I'm gonna do some more looking to see if I can find anything else. Im also going to sand down a ear on the block that is Thousandths away from the Turbo.

Se7eN

crazy how something so simple can affect so much

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I get false knock if I accelerate at low rpm while turning left. No problems turning right :p

A gallon or two every 2-3 fill ups makes most of my negative corrections go away.

I get -2.5 or so when using launch control and get the odd -1 here and there WOT on miscellaneous cylinders but usually cyl1 and cyl4. Running step colder plugs gapped to 0.28 tuned by tuneplus on x37 turbo

Maybe I will try adding some e85 and see if that helps, dont want to blow it up but im always giving er