Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Faust's H Street Flailings

another season in the bag. Didn't get to as many events this year, but had a good time at the ones I could make. 2nd season on 200tw tires, and I'm getting a bit more comfortable pushing them closer to the limits.

Wanted to share an experience from yesterday's event. I gridded next to an older gentleman who had done a bunch of autocrossing years ago in a mini, and then been away from the sport. He just picked up an '18 FiST, and was doing his first event in it. Still on the original '18 tires, BTW. He had an absolute blast, really loved how it handled. Even new to the car and on shitty tires, his times in the morning beat mine! I did manage to find a few seconds on him in the afternoon session, but once he gets wheels and tires, he's going to be flying. Anyhow, it was a good reminder about the fun of autox, regardless of beating everybody or not.
Yeah thats the key with AX, its all just for fun. You get as much enjoyment out of it as you want, if you keep a good attitude. Hopefully having someone close to you will help push you to continue to improve!

OP
faust
Thread Starter #102
Got to my first event of the year this past weekend. It was in the 40s, windy, and overcast, and my 2 year old RT660s were not gripping very well in the morning.

The other FiST driver in the club got some of the new bridgestones, and was nice enough to let me codrive with him in the afternoon session. It wasn't really any warmer, but they gripped far better. They also appeared to be holding up well (not rolling onto sidewall) with 2 lbs less pressure than he ran on RT660s.

Obviously this is not a well controlled comparison, but it does make me think that the stones are probably the way to go at least in regions that see colder weather.

Got to my first event of the year this past weekend. It was in the 40s, windy, and overcast, and my 2 year old RT660s were not gripping very well in the morning.

The other FiST driver in the club got some of the new bridgestones, and was nice enough to let me codrive with him in the afternoon session. It wasn't really any warmer, but they gripped far better. They also appeared to be holding up well (not rolling onto sidewall) with 2 lbs less pressure than he ran on RT660s.

Obviously this is not a well controlled comparison, but it does make me think that the stones are probably the way to go at least in regions that see colder weather.
Yeah, your matching my experience with the RT660s at our first 2 weakened, no grip when cold. We also had wet, so that kep the tires cold, and was getting beat by people i usually am 2-3 seconds up on. Everyone I have talked to that has run the new Stones likes them, but those that normally run Yokes arent all ready to switch. The difference is the Stones can hold up to the Fiesta, where the Yokes don't.

OP
faust
Thread Starter #104
Yeah, your matching my experience with the RT660s at our first 2 weakened, no grip when cold. We also had wet, so that kep the tires cold, and was getting beat by people i usually am 2-3 seconds up on. Everyone I have talked to that has run the new Stones likes them, but those that normally run Yokes arent all ready to switch. The difference is the Stones can hold up to the Fiesta, where the Yokes don't.
Exactly. One of the fastest guys at the club was complaining that the stones aren't as good as the yokes in the cold, but he's driving an STS CRX.

I continue to be half tempted to move to STH just so I can run 8" wheels & camber.

Exactly. One of the fastest guys at the club was complaining that the stones aren't as good as the yokes in the cold, but he's driving an STS CRX.

I continue to be half tempted to move to STH just so I can run 8" wheels & camber.
Yeah the yokes work perfectly at like 40 deg. STH gives a diff, camber and wider wheels, but I think overall you would be less competitive (instead of a top car in HS, a low level car in STH), it would be fun.