Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Favorite tools for working on your FiST (or other cars)

Dib

my most recent tool purchase has been my favorite. individual hex screwdrivers so i don't have to work with swapping between and losing the individual ones.

I love my cordless impact gun. It's like Frank's red hot sauce. I put that ish on everything.
Can I ask you which one you have. Was doing a brake job today on the FiST, and I couldn't break one of the bolts to access the rotor on passenger rear. My socket kept slipping off and it was frustrating as all get out. I may have rounded off the bolt a little.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Can I ask you which one you have. Was doing a brake job today on the FiST, and I couldn't break one of the bolts to access the rotor on passenger rear. My socket kept slipping off and it was frustrating as all get out. I may have rounded off the bolt a little.
I would be interested too. Also, if I'm struggling to get a socket on sometimes I break out the hammer and just try and lightly tap by ratchet and socket onto the bolt. It helps a lot surprisingly.

SrsBsns

I have the Craftsman 1/2" cordless one. It's pretty cheap but it's been reliable and does a good job.

You're right that sometimes, because of its size, it's hard to get on to a bolt and I have to go with the socket/ratchet/breaker bar combo.

Because of the torque the impact can deliver, I really don't use it unless I feel confident that the socket fits well onto the bolt because I worry about stripping them too.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Snap-on sockets are expensive, but that slippage problem people have goes away.
They grip so much better.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
With each car or project I wind up acquiring at least a couple of tools specific to that car. Maybe “necessary”, but mostly “quality of life” purchases, like ball-end Allen keys so they’re a little more forgiving in tight quarters (Abarth and fist diverted valves).
View attachment 23433

I was curious what “special” or “favorite” tools others have acquired or identified, not necessarily FiST specific, that others might have picked up along the way. Below is a pic of my two “necessary” FiST tools. One specifically for releasing those clamps on the PVC hose and symposer (no more struggling or pinching my hands with pliers trying to release them!) and a tiny ratcheting wrench I bought for the FiST kit for tightening intercooler/intake hoses. Neither is necessary, but both make my life easier.

So this is new, just saw this...But what's up with axe head? Do you have an Axe to grind with someone? HEHE

OP
Clint Beastwood

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
So this is new, just saw this...But what's up with axe head? Do you have an Axe to grind with someone? HEHE
Lol a long time ago I ran a knife sharpening service and made custom knives as a "low tech" hobby to get my mind away from the tech world. I had to give up all that stuff when I started to have some nerve issues, but I'm getting some strength and feeling back in my hands so I dug out some of the old sharpening kit and started trying to rebuild muscle memory in my hands and strengthen them up. A good way is to buy old carbon steel knives and sharp things and sharpen/flatten/sharpen/flatten over and over again to get back into the "groove". The axe head is something I tell my wife I use for gardening but I really just throw it at a tree stump when I'm bored.

My favorite is Big Bertha. Bertha is a 1/2 inch drive, 16 inch, fine tooth, flex head Craftsman ratchet that was only cataloged for 5 or 6 years. Anytime I need a serious persuader I get good old Bertha out of my tool box.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
My Ingersoll Rand 1/2" pneumatic impact gun. That thing has been through hell and back for more than a decade and is still kicking ass.

I also have a QuickJack and it def a very close second!

These 2 little guys handle all the light duty work and Brutus above when it's time to get serious. They save sooo much time. I barely use a ratchet unless I need to be delicate.
1595891328576.png