Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Federal 595RSR Air Pressure for Track

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I put this in the track section because I don’t drive these on the street..

I have a set of 215/40-17 RSR that I’m struggling with. They grease after a couple of laps. Are any of you guys having better luck or do they just suck? I’ve tried hot pressures from 30-40 with no luck. I’ve been toting my RT615K+ wheels with me because they’re so much better and far more reliable. I’d just like to make sure I’m not the problem before I dismount and trash the 595 RSR.

i have these on my street car and i believe most people would list the rsr's as a high performance street tire whereas the rsrr is more of a track oriented tire. maybe not the best but the rsr's are most likely not meant for the track ):

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
A lot of guys track these and the RSRR on many different platforms.. Anyway, these two have developed chunking seams down the middle as well. Pretty much made the decision to punt them for something else after discovering this. If anyone else has the same question, feel free to update this thread so others may find it in their search. ✌🏽

I had very similar issues with my rsrs-'greasy' after a couple of hard laps, chunking, and the seam (splitting?) down the middle after one track day. Are yours the older 140tw like mine? I noticed federal now lists them as 220tw and I wonder if they actually changed them or just started stamping them with the higher tw to get past scca regs or something.

Im tempted to chuck them too, but may just use them as street tires until they wear down.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I would be hard pressed to find my sources but if memory serves, these tires are known to overheat easily. In addition, the re-rating of the tires is only to allow them to conform to changes in SCCA rules. The tires themselves did not change.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
I had very similar issues with my rsrs-'greasy' after a couple of hard laps, chunking, and the seam (splitting?) down the middle after one track day. Are yours the older 140tw like mine? I noticed federal now lists them as 220tw and I wonder if they actually changed them or just started stamping them with the higher tw to get past scca regs or something.

Im tempted to chuck them too, but may just use them as street tires until they wear down.
Mine are the most recent version. I listed them for sale cheap but no one is interested lol. I will likely just street them until they’re worn out.

I just mounted my RSRs up a few weeks ago, and do plan on tracking them.

Good (and bad) to know the 220 treadwear is likely just a relabeling of the 140. I was hoping they were a bit harder tire as I'm daily driving these; 140 is pretty soft. As long as I can get a year and a track day out of them... At least I know I'll have to be kind to these tires to keep the temps down.

The chunking looks negligible, but that seam splitting down the center is something to keep an eye on (off the top of my head can't remember if that seam is visible on a fresh tire or not).

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Id say these are an autocross tire more than a lapping day tire.

An update in case anyone is interested - I ended up doing several more events with the RSRs - 2 track days, 1 day of autocross, and several sessions of time attack at Adams Motorsports park, which is a small course which I guess could qualify as autocross. The RSRs held up well, I think my initial problems were due to a lot of overdriving on my part, too many hard laps, and the warmer temperatures. I had their limitations in mind in my next couple of track days, ended up staggering my hard laps with cooldown laps and didn't have many issues. The seam in the middle ended up wearing down and disappearing and I havent had any splitting issues since.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
The RS-Pro manages heat a lot better. I’ve been starting at 30psi cold (all four) and after a few laps they feel great. Hot they range from 36-38. I can push all session after they’re hot.

The RS-Pro manages heat a lot better. I’ve been starting at 30psi cold (all four) and after a few laps they feel great. Hot they range from 36-38. I can push all session after they’re hot.
Nice, will likely go with those or Nankang NS2Rs (200tw version) as replacements

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
how noisy are the rsr pro’s ?
Not terrible but they’re audible on the highway. They buzz like my truck’s AT tires. Not mud terrain loud but buzzy AT loud. I can’t hear the RSR or RT615K+.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Not terrible but they’re audible on the highway. They buzz like my truck’s AT tires. Not mud terrain loud but buzzy AT loud. I can’t hear the RSR or RT615K+.
so you are saying the rsr’s not the rsrr or the rsr pro were quite? just trying to get some inout as I am lik8ng what I read about the Hankook Rs4’s but of course the Feddys are cheaper I have a friend who does track in his 240sx ( not drifting on RSR’s and likes them and recommended them to me. Yet everyone on here complains about them being noisy. I mean noisy can be totally subjective as some peoples noisy is an acceptsble amount of road noise whereas others would find it objectionable.
I do know my friends R888’s sound like mudders at low speed going down the road and when I was in the car it sounded like a lifted truck driving down the street.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
so you are saying the rsr’s not the rsrr or the rsr pro were quite? just trying to get some inout as I am lik8ng what I read about the Hankook Rs4’s but of course the Feddys are cheaper I have a friend who does track in his 240sx ( not drifting on RSR’s and likes them and recommended them to me. Yet everyone on here complains about them being noisy. I mean noisy can be totally subjective as some peoples noisy is an acceptsble amount of road noise whereas others would find it objectionable.
I do know my friends R888’s sound like mudders at low speed going down the road and when I was in the car it sounded like a lifted truck driving down the street.
In my experience, the RSR is quiet on the street. However, the RS-Pro is clearly audible inside the car with the windows up. The “all-terrain” buzz would bother me if I drove them from my house to the track. I do not have experience with the RSRR. If you hate tire noise, avoid Federal’s RS Pro track tires for street use. They’d suck on the street anyway because they have no grip until they’re hot (at least two hard laps).

Dpro

6000 Post Club
In my experience, the RSR is quiet on the street. However, the RS-Pro is clearly audible inside the car with the windows up. The “all-terrain” buzz would bother me if I drove them from my house to the track. I do not have experience with the RSRR. If you hate tire noise, avoid Federal’s RS Pro track tires for street use. They’d suck on the street anyway because they have no grip until they’re hot (at least two hard laps).
Cool info so how much better are they compared to the RSR would I be giving up much staying with the RSR?

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
Cool info so how much better are they compared to the RSR would I be giving up much staying with the RSR?
On track the RS Pro is way better. Different class.. They hold heat much better than the RSR and are more consistent throughout the session. I doubt the RS Pro would be better for AutoX, however. It takes several minutes of pushing hard to heat them.

Ford Community Posts