Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Few basic questions about getting a hybrid turbo install/tune

Have pretty much all the supporting mods needed done to install a hybrid turbo. I would like to find a shop that can do the install and tune for it. Is that something thats doable over the course of a few days? I also live in az at ~7000ft elevation I assume im going to be best served taking my car somewhere with similar elevation or can they account for my elevation regardless of where it gets done?

Final and most important question. Who can you guys recommend?

Id like to stick to NM, CO, AZ, CA, NV in roughly that order for a shop i dont mind making the drive and grabbing a hotel for a few days. I tried searching for tuners and found some in Cali but thats obviously at sea level so i wasnt sure. I also found quite a few shops that just tuned cars but nothing fiesta specific so again not sure.

Tia for the help.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Since you're at 7K feet, I'm guessing you're up in the Flagstaff area?

Have you purchased a Cobb Accessport yet? Any tuner for our cars can account for elevation, your car doesn't necessarily need to be on a dyno to be tuned properly. There are probably 10 shops in the Phoenix area that could do the install, but you can purchase a tune online and load it onto your Cobb AP to flash the car and your tuner can make revisions of the tune.

OP
T
Thread Starter #3
Since you're at 7K feet, I'm guessing you're up in the Flagstaff area?

Have you purchased a Cobb Accessport yet? Any tuner for our cars can account for elevation, your car doesn't necessarily need to be on a dyno to be tuned properly. There are probably 10 shops in the Phoenix area that could do the install, but you can purchase a tune online and load it onto your Cobb AP to flash the car and your tuner can make revisions of the tune.
Around flag. I have the accessport already. Im trying to avoid having a back and forth with the tuner for revisions after the install which is why I wanted to get at all knocked out at once if thats logical thinking when it comes to this. Cobbs website only lists dynocomp as a certified tuner in the az area which i assumed wasnt accurate.

Around flag. I have the accessport already. Im trying to avoid having a back and forth with the tuner for revisions after the install which is why I wanted to get at all knocked out at once if thats logical thinking when it comes to this. Cobbs website only lists dynocomp as a certified tuner in the az area which i assumed wasnt accurate.
I'd take that $2-300 that you'll spend on a hotel room and put that towards a couple of good tunes that serve your needs! ;)

haste

1000 Post Club
Yeah, just get a base tune from an online tuner, have a local shop install the hardware and just do the pulls necessary to get it revised. Honestly, I'd rather have my tune looked over under "normal driving conditions" than on a dyno where the car isn't moving through atmosphere.

OP
T
Thread Starter #6
Yeah, just get a base tune from an online tuner, have a local shop install the hardware and just do the pulls necessary to get it revised. Honestly, I'd rather have my tune looked over under "normal driving conditions" than on a dyno where the car isn't moving through atmosphere.
Was I mistaken in thinking some of the "big" tuners also had shops? I thought mountune in cali was kinda a sure thing.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Mountune used to do tuning but no longer does. I’m not sure where their old tuner Randy is now geographically but Tunewerks is his company I’m sure you could find out. There are a few experts for our platform out there. Some have a shop, some don’t. e-tuning is a great process because it gets your car tuned by the best people out there. Just do some research and pick who you feel comfortable with. I’d suggest Dizzy but I’m biased because he’s tuned my car before and after big turbo. I’ve also used stratified before and they’re great too.

OP
T
Thread Starter #9
Mountune used to do tuning but no longer does. I’m not sure where their old tuner Randy is now geographically but Tunewerks is his company I’m sure you could find out. There are a few experts for our platform out there. Some have a shop, some don’t. e-tuning is a great process because it gets your car tuned by the best people out there. Just do some research and pick who you feel comfortable with. I’d suggest Dizzy but I’m biased because he’s tuned my car before and after big turbo. I’ve also used stratified before and they’re great too.
How long of a process is it normally to work all the kinks out? I plan on going for the whoosh hybrid. I know the s280 is a better platform but I dont have any huge end game power dreams. I just dont want to be dealing with it for weeks/months id rather travel a bit and spend a bit more if its an option. It seems like every youtube video i check out the owner is making a comment about something more needing to be done with their tune. [emoji23]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Was I mistaken in thinking some of the "big" tuners also had shops? I thought mountune in cali was kinda a sure thing.

Mountune never did in shop dyno Tune’s. There are a few shops here in SoCal that can do it. Though honestly you are better off like everybody else said just getting a Tune from a reputable tuner online and Flashing it after install of your Turbo. I went with a local tuner originally that had done Whoosh hybrids but had never done a S280. Fact is the tuner who I won’t name did just a ok tune on my car. I wound up going to Adam at Tune+ and getting a much better tune. I paid for dyno time and a Ok tune. Thankfully it was pretty much stimulus money that I did not need anyways. :LOL: So it was no big deal. Seriously save the dough get the Flash tune . Just install on my Turbo was only $475. If I had had a place to do it I could have done it myself its not terribly hard to do.

Per your question in the above post the S280 in a lot of ways is a great turbo. It allows the car to behave relatively stock at low rpm’s and then takes off when you kick it. I actually feel its better than a hybrid for that reason you can reach the power goals with less strain as its a larger frame turbo vs being a modified stock frame turbo. The thing the hybrid has that a lot of people like is the crazy donkey kick down low. Though seriously if you live in busy traffic area it can get old fast. You spin your tires more easily with a hybrid but that does not get you anywhere its kinda just showing off. IMO. The S280 lives in mids to high end like a much bigger turbo. It can stay up there and just deliver. I like being in the upper revs in the canyons so the s280 is great for that. Hybrid not as much.
I am now pushing 300 whp 300ft lbs Torque on a e30 tune with stock fueling on my first revision. :LOL:Adam on his web page rates the s280 at 320-330 on stock fueling with e30 tune and 93 octane. I am on a 91 e30 tune.

Last edited:

dhminer

2000 Post Club
It can take a month, even more depending how quickly you get logs done and back to them. If you absolutely need to have it done in a day, most of the tuners were referencing will do a “live remote tune” if you secure a dyno rental. I’d do that if the fiesta was my DD but it’s not cheap.

OP
T
Thread Starter #12
It can take a month, even more depending how quickly you get logs done and back to them. If you absolutely need to have it done in a day, most of the tuners were referencing will do a “live remote tune” if you secure a dyno rental. I’d do that if the fiesta was my DD but it’s not cheap.
This is the perfect solution for me. Thank you

Dpro

6000 Post Club
even with revisions taking a month which they normally should not unless you are lazy about datalogging pulls . it does not mean you can’t drive the car on the revisions . I have and did with mine. Thing is if you go with a Tuner that has tuned your turbo many times there first tune is a base just to see numbers and usually mild boost . Their second is usually rowdier to see how far it can go and the third is usually the ok its good . Add to that once they know the Turbo the tunes are pretty close to good right out of the gate. If you get wack numbers then something is wrong with the install usually .

OP
T
Thread Starter #14
Mountune never did in shop dyno Tune’s. There are a few shops here in SoCal that can do it. Though honestly you are better off like everybody else said just getting a Tune from a reputable tuner online and Flashing it after install of your Turbo. I went with a local tuner originally that had done Whoosh hybrids but had never done a S280. Fact is the tuner who I won’t name did just a ok tune on my car. I wound up going to Adam at Tune+ and getting a much better tune. I paid for dyno time and a Ok tune. Thankfully it was pretty much stimulus money that I did not need anyways. [emoji38] So it was no big deal. Seriously save the dough get the Flash tune . Just install on my Turbo was only $475. If I had had a place to do it I could have done it myself its not terribly hard to do.

Per your question in the above post the S280 in a lot of ways is a great turbo. It allows the car to behave relatively stock at low rpm’s and then takes off when you kick it. I actually feel its better than a hybrid for that reason you can reach the power goals with less strain as its a larger frame turbo vs being a modified stock frame turbo. The thing the hybrid has that a lot of people like is the crazy donkey kick down low. Though seriously if you live in busy traffic area it can get old fast. You spin your tires more easily with a hybrid but that does not get you anywhere its kinda just showing off. IMO. The S280 lives in mids to high end like a much bigger turbo. It can stay up there and just deliver. I like being in the upper revs in the canyons so the s280 is great for that. Hybrid not as much.
I am now pushing 300 whp 300ft lbs Torque on a e30 tune with stock fueling on my first revision. [emoji38]Adam on his web page rates the s280 at 320-330 on stock fueling with e30 tune and 93 octane. I am on a 91 e30 tune.
Youre convincing me toward the s280. I dont plan on selling the car any time soon but I remember reading you had to cut a small divet into the block or something for it to fit? Your description of when the power comes on sounds a little more like what im looking for though

OP
T
Thread Starter #16
I know any additional power mods Would require a tune adjustment. If theres ANYTHING im missing thats a must have please let me know now.

Mod list
Depo intercooler with upgraded hot and cold side piping
2jz catted downpipe
Cobb intake and rmm
Thermal exhaust

I plan I getting an upgraded bov and step down colder spark plugs installed same day as well

I plan on getting some other minor mods down the road but nothing power related. Upgraded radiator and lsd for example.

OP
T
Thread Starter #17
Im also not worried about returning it to stick so im considering having the exhaust welded to get rid of the 2-3" coupler

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I know any additional power mods Would require a tune adjustment. If theres ANYTHING im missing thats a must have please let me know now.

Mod list
Depo intercooler with upgraded hot and cold side piping
2jz catted downpipe
Cobb intake and rmm
Thermal exhaust

I plan I getting an upgraded bov and step down colder spark plugs installed same day as well

I plan on getting some other minor mods down the road but nothing power related. Upgraded radiator and lsd for example.

sounds like you have all the supporting mods needed. You also seem to have all the worthwhile and just smart mods as well. RMM’s are a matter of choice with several decent ones to choose from. Downpipes I have heard the 2jz’s are not great but you could always get a Whoosh or try and find a used Mountune sportcat. I also would not run a Depo intercooler but people have and they have worked.
All in all the mods will support the setup.
Congrats on the purchase.

OP
T
Thread Starter #19
sounds like you have all the supporting mods needed. You also seem to have all the worthwhile and just smart mods as well. RMM’s are a matter of choice with several decent ones to choose from. Downpipes I have heard the 2jz’s are not great but you could always get a Whoosh or try and find a used Mountune sportcat. I also would not run a Depo intercooler but people have and they have worked.
All in all the mods will support the setup.
Congrats on the purchase.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I think im going to be happier with the s280 [emoji106]