Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Few questions from new ST owner.

I purchased a 2016 ST this past Saturday. I have 0 experience with them besides what I've read in the last day or two. It's been raining here since Saturday so haven't really put the car through it's paces, but noticed it felt fairly strong for only having 197bhp, and sounded a little louder than I expected. Today I put the car on the lift to take a look at it properly. It has a 3in exhaust which looks like a Thermal unit. It also has a Whoosh rear engine mount. There is also an upgraded intercooler which I'm guessing may be from Whoosh as well. It's thicker than stock and has metal end tanks. The intercooler appears to be the same height as stock just thicker. Nothing has any wording or logos on the parts besides the rear engine mount. I believe the turbo is stock, but how could I tell otherwise? Also how can I find out if it's tuned and what tune? I'm hoping it's a 93oct tune and that someone didn't trade it in with an E30 tune or something. Thanks for any insight or help. I'll post pics of the turbo I took.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Welcome! Nice car, congrats on the purchase.

If it’s a whoosh intercooler it’ll have their logo on the end tanks. Turbo is definitely stock or a whoosh hybrid, but seeing as the heat shield is still there I’d be willing to bet it’s the stock unit since most people don’t put them back on after swapping turbos.

Tune is basically impossible to tell. Did you get an accesssport with it?

Sweet on the purchase. I lucked out on some upgrades already installed on mine I bought last year. Whoosh intercooler and hybrid turbo, whoosh ST200 air box(love it and looks almost stock), highflow drop in filter, exhaust is stock as well as the engine mounts though. Best bet is to have a ford dealer have a look see on if its got a tune. My ford dealer had to retune mine as the previous owner left the tune on it that disabled the emmision checks which means a fail sticker in Massachussetts but they got it all squared away for a 93 oct tune and it has been a blast since. Also looks like yours is lowered so I'd also wager some suspension work was also done on yours.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Sweet on the purchase. I lucked out on some upgrades already installed on mine I bought last year. Whoosh intercooler and hybrid turbo, whoosh ST200 air box(love it and looks almost stock), highflow drop in filter, exhaust is stock as well as the engine mounts though. Best bet is to have a ford dealer have a look see on if its got a tune. My ford dealer had to retune mine as the previous owner left the tune on it that disabled the emmision checks which means a fail sticker in Massachussetts but they got it all squared away for a 93 oct tune and it has been a blast since. Also looks like yours is lowered so I'd also wager some suspension work was also done on yours.
I would agree with asking a dealer to check and see if it's tuned.My understanding is that when a car is tuned, it resets the ECU generally and specifically resets a counter of how many times the car has been started. If the number the counter displays for how many times the car has been started is way out of whack with the age of the car, that tips them off. They have that ability because they can sometimes use the fact that a car is tuned or was previously tuned (and then returned to stock) to deny warranty claims.

This is from a fascinating and detailed Ford service bulletin entitled
"A guide to identifying failures related to performance modifications" which I found online a while back.
Section B: Determining the Existence of an Aftermarket
Calibration

This section should be used when the vehicle being serviced currently has or possibly had an aftermarket PCM calibration. It is recommended to also conduct this step on tow in vehicles with unexplained engine damage.
B.1 Ignition Counter
1. Pull Mode 9 data with IDS
2 Compare ignition counter (IGNCNTR) value to vehicle service history. If counter value is abnormally low and there is no history of a recent reflash, investigate for an unauthorized reflash and signs of aftermarket tuner connections.
3. Low ignition counters in conjunction with any of the failure modes, symptoms, or indicators in Sections A or C suggest possible aftermarket modifications to the vehicle

C.1.1 Aftermarket Calibration
Description: Aftermarket calibrations are used to increase engine performance by altering calibratable parameters such as the engine RPM limiter, spark advance and air-fuel ratio. Refer to Section B to help determine if an aftermarket calibration is or was present in the vehicle. The following is a list of possible
calibration-induced component failures :
Excessive Cylinder Pressure and Temperature:
 Piston damage (Sec. A.1.1-A.1.2)
 Turbocharger damage (Sec. A.2.1)
 Catalyst damage
Knock Sensor Calibration Changes:
 Piston and/or ring damage due to improper knock control. (Sec. A.1.1-A.1.2)
Increased RPM Limit/Overspeed:
 Piston damage (Sec. A.1.1 – A.1.2)
 Connecting rod damage (Sec. A.1.3)
 Oil pump damage
 Catalyst damage
 Clutch damage (Sec. A.1.5)
Over-Temperature/Melting:
 Transmission, PTU & torque converter damage. (Sec. A.1.4)

Last edited:
OP
M
Thread Starter #7
Thanks for the replies and insight/suggestions. It did not come with any tuning stuff that I can see. I'll give the Ford dealer a shot. Do people generally slap on parts without tuning on the ST? How do you guys read boost? My turbo knowledge is way out of date since the last turbo car I owned was a 1992 Eagle Talon AWD running DSM link tuning software. I recently had a 2016 Audi S5 which is supercharged running APR stage 2+ software and upgraded pulleys. That was a low 11 high 10 sec car. To monitor everything on that and datalog we used VagCom. What is used for the ST? If it is untuned how much of a difference will a tune make with current mods? Oh yeah, it does have a modded air box with the bottom half wrap in some type of gold heat shielding and a ram air pipe in the bottom of it routed behind the left fog light. Ever hear of that?

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks for the replies and insight/suggestions. It did not come with any tuning stuff that I can see. I'll give the Ford dealer a shot. Do people generally slap on parts without tuning on the ST? How do you guys read boost? My turbo knowledge is way out of date since the last turbo car I owned was a 1992 Eagle Talon AWD running DSM link tuning software. I recently had a 2016 Audi S5 which is supercharged running APR stage 2+ software and upgraded pulleys. That was a low 11 high 10 sec car. To monitor everything on that and datalog we used VagCom. What is used for the ST? If it is untuned how much of a difference will a tune make with current mods? Oh yeah, it does have a modded air box with the bottom half wrap in some type of gold heat shielding and a ram air pipe in the bottom of it routed behind the left fog light. Ever hear of that?
Get an access port (AP) and you'll be able to monitor boost and other things with it.
Does the airbox look like this? https://www.mountuneusa.com/Induction-Upgrade-Kit-Fiesta-St-2014-18-p/2364-cais-aa.htm

Installing a larger diameter exhaust, a larger intercooler, or airbox won't have any effect on the emissions system. Because all you have done is provide an increased capacity for airflow or increased cooling for the charge air. If you decide to take advantage of these improvements with a Tune then you can get into Emission problems. BTW, gains in cooling with items like a larger intercooler or higher capacity radiator will provide a payoff in the form less decline in power due to higher air temperatures. I can also state with certainty that a higher capacity radiator will also provide an increase in fuel economy of 3 gallons or more in the summer because these engines operate most efficiently at the factory set engine temperature (4 bars). Note, IMO the standard radiator provided by Ford for these cars is undersized. Because with a properly sized radiator climbing a 7% grad for 5 miles in mid August 95 degree temps should not put the car into limp home mode. To be blunt going to a lower temperature thermostat won't gain you any horsepower at all and it will reduce your fuel economy. If you have engine heat issues the only really effective option is a higher capacity radiator.

OP
M
Thread Starter #11

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yes that's it! Thanks. Will def get the Cobb tune and I'm guessing I can used to upload other tunes like those from Tune+ ? How much can I expect to gain with current mods and flashing stage 1?
Yes, you can upload tunes from other tuners with the accessport. It's super easy and it will ensure that you have a tune that's safe for the car if you don't know how it's tuned currently.
I don't know the numbers on how much horsepower you'll gain, but I could definitely tell a difference when I tuned my FiST.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have the full intake and an aftermarket intercooler. With the base tune (Cobb 0), my tuner estimated 174 WHP / 190 WTQ. After he tuned it, he estimated 210 WHP / 276 WTQ.
Sounds about right. That's as good as it gets with the stock turbo, and I'm very happy with it.