Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta: prone to accidents because of its small size?

I've ridden motorcycles in the L.A. and O.C. areas of California for years, commuting on the local freeways. With all of the traffic and distracted drivers, you adopt survival skills, like the "ride like you're invisible" mantra - stay out of cars' blind spots, don't ride directly next to a car, and make yourself as conspicuous as you can with bright colors.

The Fiesta is easily the smallest car I've ever owned. And, since driving it, i've noticed that I've been treated like I do on my motorcycle. I have had cars change lanes into me, cut me off, and do other things that clearly showed that they just didn't see me. Yesterday was the closest call yet, and after swerving out of the way of a Camry that tried to drive right through us, my wife said "you need to drive this car like you ride your motorcycles!" I'd think that having a white car would give me the best chance - other than day-glo yellow, white helmets are the easiest to spot on a bike, while silver and black blend in.

I've seen quite a few "I got hit" threads on the forum. Are you guys experiencing the same thing I am? Is this car just so small and low that people don't notice it?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I don't have seen this too.
I drive the same area as you do and I too have driven/ridden motorcycles.
So adopting survival skills, like "ride/drive like you're invisible" is a valuable skill set to develop.
The biggest problem we have is just volume.
There are so many cars in our area that the odds are just stacked against us.
We see more STUPID drivers in one day than many in other areas see total drivers.

Dave

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
As Dave said, the trick to avoid getting hit is defensive driving. Be aware of your surroundings. Look at avenues of escape, while assuming that that minivan does not see you, or even care to use their side view mirrors, and above all, drive it like you stole it, because if they can't catch you, they can't hit you!

Unguided missiles, those. My Dart community has stories. I think two or three of my closest acquaintances and their Darts have been taken out by blue haired CamryNazis... in a bracket of about a week!

All that aside, I think the color of a small car is like a safety vest. The Mirage gets it right, and the more vibrant hues on the ST do too. I have OxWhite, and have been nearly sideswiped once so far. Guy tooling along in a minivan decided to make a turning lane a straight and probably didn't see me. Horn, Finger, and Turbo, in that order. Driving it like a motorcycle has become mandatory. I've also uprated the lighting a bit to give me an unmistakable presence at night.

This is why I wish it had DRL's. I just turn on the lights when the traffic is heavy. Still, stupid drivers will do stupid things, small car or otherwise.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I have more close calls with the ST with people pulling out in front of me or changing lanes without looking. Oddly, I did not have this with my 2011 Fiesta. I am guessing color has more to do with it than size. My white 2011 was easier to spot than my blue ST. Maybe a louder exhaust would be a good idea for me ST?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I knew I wasn't the only one! Many people don't see me or they underestimate my speed. I drove a Genesis Coupe which isn't a small car. However it has a very low profile, and mine was black. I owned a silver Eclipse GTS, no one had problems seeing it. I also owned a Charger R/T and NO ONE ever cut me off or tried to drive through me... Anyway, my first real driving experience was on the highway in Texas. My mother put a lot of trust in me that day, teaching me how to drive defensively in a world full of idiots. I've been driving like I'm invisible for 15 years. Because of that I haven't been in any accidents, and I've only got one speeding ticket, no traffic violations.

Had it happen a few times this morning. Driving with my lights on and people just pull right out like I'm not there. They learn that I am there real quick when I end up on their bumper, flashing the lights and laying on the horn. I do that in hopes that the next time they think about pulling out, they remember that moment. I'm most likely being overly optimistic though because they usually just mosey along in their own little world and act like I am the asshole for getting pissed that they nearly killed me.

The thing you have to remember is nine times out of ten the crappy drivers don't do things to piss you off, they do it because they're stupid. As mentioned before, keep your head on a swivel.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I always watch out for bad drivers, probably because I drove 510 Datsuns for 10+ years and found aggressive defensive driving worked the best.
No I am quite mellow on the streets and have to pay even more attention and ready to grab a gear, always looking for an exit point, etc....so far so good.

My silver car will be hard to see in some situations and being so small I expect to have some issues so I am installing 38mm very bright DRLS, very bright marker, stop, tail, turn, etc lights and 3" projector HID's and will run them all in some areas, always at least the DRL's.

My biggest worry about getting hit is the hundreds upon hundreds of one off mod hours I would loose if I got hit hard enough.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I have more close calls with the ST with people pulling out in front of me or changing lanes without looking. Oddly, I did not have this with my 2011 Fiesta. I am guessing color has more to do with it than size. My white 2011 was easier to spot than my blue ST. Maybe a louder exhaust would be a good idea for me ST?
Didn't the 2011 have DRL?

I think the takeaway here, from reading this, is that a good front and rear dashcam as well as a higher degree of situational awareness may be in order. If I'm going to get plowed, I want little to no ambiguity with respect to insurance.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I think the takeaway here, from reading this, is that a good front and rear dashcam as well as a higher degree of situational awareness may be in order. If I'm going to get plowed, I want little to no ambiguity with respect to insurance.
The cameras are on my list todos... Currently no one seem to cut me off in my Aveo. Could be the fact I don't give a damn... [giddy]

I am considering the cameras as well, good point.
The only drawback I can see is that dash cams, as any Russian compilation lays bare, attract crazy like oil magnates attract gold* diggers. That or recording your own stupid moments

The cameras are on my list todos... Currently no one seem to cut me off in my Aveo. Could be the fact I don't give a damn... [giddy]
I had a chevette once. Flat black and poor lighting. I was *aching* for someone to rub themselves on my car. Never happened. Must be the no-care vibe.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
The only drawback I can see is that dash cams, as any Russian compilation lays bare, attract crazy like oil magnates attract gold* diggers. That or recording your own stupid moments
And this is what is the challenge to find a small, functional and inconspicuous solution.

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #20
Happens more than it did with any other car I've owned. Weird. My wife mentioned loud pipes. But, since this has become our weekend car, that would just lead to "Now it's too noisy" when we go anywhere.