Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My plan was to get a pipe that's flanged on either side to 2.25in id, but the only thing I could find around town was a 18" tailpipe ext. 2.25in od with 1 end flanged to 2.25in id (Nickson #17624). Since the end that is not flanged will not fit on top of the 55mm exhaust, I wanted to just use exhaust clamps and clamp everything together, hoping that the clamps would seal the gap.
I'm about to do this with the same pipe issue. I'm just waiting for my clamps to be delivered. My assumption is that as long as you use exhaust sealant (like this one) it should work. But, I'd love if someone could confirm.

Daz

I'm about to do this with the same pipe issue. I'm just waiting for my clamps to be delivered. My assumption is that as long as you use exhaust sealant (like this one) it should work. But, I'd love if someone could confirm.
That's my assumption too. I'm trying to rent a pipe expander, but Canadian Tire won't rent tools with COVID so I'm still on the fence about going forward with it. Let me know if you decide to do it and don't forget to take before and after sound vids. ;)

That's my assumption too. I'm trying to rent a pipe expander, but Canadian Tire won't rent tools with COVID so I'm still on the fence about going forward with it. Let me know if you decide to do it and don't forget to take before and after sound vids. ;)
So, I cut the resonator off, but the clamps just don't fit well. The biggest problem is that 2.25 inch clamps aren't a good match for this application when the replacement pipe is a slightly different size. Another part of the problem is as the exhaust bends back to flat off of the downpipe, there's not much to clamp onto. (And this is with me cutting flush with the resonator to leave as much pipe to clamp onto.) Oh well. I'll take it in and get it welded. It's like $80 at my local shop. If someone else has been able to make it work, I'd love to hear how.
I drove it with no exhaust for a few minutes. What a loud and obnoxious riot! Pops and burbles for days!

Daz

View: https://youtu.be/p_z0vlYJ8aQ

Well, there it is! I finally did my resonator delete and here are the results. Please excuse the crappy video and audio quality, it's the best my phone would do. It was done using a 2.25in tailpipe extension which only had 1 flanged side to 2.25in ID. At first, I had a 2.25in pipe with both side flanged, but since the exhaust is actually 55mm (2.17in), the part of the pipe that was not flanged did fit over the exhaust. My advice for anyone who will do this is to simply use a straight 2.25in OD pipe, no flange required. I did everything on car ramps and jacks at the rear. It was tight, but with the right tools under it was not impossible to do. Now, the only issue is that the downpipe, or rather the pipe after the cat is at an angle and the seal is kinda hard to get with exhaust clamps. I was planning on using exhaust sealant to help with this, but the one I got from Canadian tire was already semi-cured in the tube and I was unable to use it. I tested the exhaust for leaks by spraying soapy water and then running the engine while looking for bubbles, but I did not see any even without the sealant. When driving, I think I hear a little bit of exhaust leaking, but I'm not sure... Would I recommend a resonator delete? Yes. The sound is just a little louder and with some more crackles and burbles. Keep in mind that other than this, it is completely stock. Would I recommend a DIY resonator delete like I did? Honestly, why even ask haha. I'm not a pro mechanics, but I like to work on my cars and I'm sure all of you reading this do too! I was well aware of the possible problems and was ready to shell out the extra cash to have it welded if I really had to go that route. For this reason, if like me you couldn't live without those cracks and burble and didn't want to spend 900$ on a complete exhaust, yes I would say do it. But, make sure you are using a 2.25in OD pipe which will fit snugly over the 55mm exhaust (NO flanged sides and maybe sand down/file down the exhaust to make sure it fits) and making sure my sealant is still good before cutting everything. With all of this, make your research and have a plan B if it doesn't work, like I said I am no mechanics so why listen to me? ;)

JasonHaven

What's a good "middle of the road" exhaust, to add some grumble, but without drone and not too obnoxious? I was looking at MAP and COBB...

For reference, I respect the quality of the CP-E exhaust, but having heard it in person, it's way too much noise for me hah

Brianmc27

What's a good "middle of the road" exhaust, to add some grumble, but without drone and not too obnoxious? I was looking at MAP and COBB...

For reference, I respect the quality of the CP-E exhaust, but having heard it in person, it's way too much noise for me hah
FSWerks and Cobb seem to fit the bill

FSWerks and Cobb seem to fit the bill
I think you can't go wrong with the FSWerks. 2.5" is the perfect size for this car (I think they sound the best) and its the cheapest of the quality systems. I was an early adopter of the Maximizer (ebay) exhaust back when I got it for like $300 (2 years ago) and I really like it, sounds great but I think I'm going to upgrade to the FSWerks.

Brianmc27

I think you can't go wrong with the FSWerks. 2.5" is the perfect size for this car (I think they sound the best) and its the cheapest of the quality systems. I was an early adopter of the Maximizer (ebay) exhaust back when I got it for like $300 (2 years ago) and I really like it, sounds great but I think I'm going to upgrade to the FSWerks.
I agree that 2.5” is the sweet spot - I went with the flowmaster because I wanted something a bit more raucous.

I have the milltek in us spec with the resonator in 2.75". Gives a very very nice tone no drone and just an overall pleasant exhaust to have.

View: https://youtu.be/h1Pxm3pSw50

Ford ST

2000 Post Club

Fswerks. I have installed three of their exhaust systems.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Se7eN

So it's been a good 5 years of running a locally made 2.5" exhaust.
Made with 1 Vibrant Ultraquiet resonator out back and well after having it fixed a couple or times all ready decided to go with a MBRP 3" aluminized ordered from @ron@whoosh on Sunday. She was already super loud, lets hope this isn't louder. If it is I'll just change the resonator out for another Ultra-quiet.

Wish me luck

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Made with 1 Vibrant Ultraquiet resonator out back and well after having it fixed a couple or times all ready decided to go with a MBRP 3" aluminized ordered from @ron@whoosh on Sunday. She was already super loud, lets hope this isn't louder. If it is I'll just change the resonator out for another Ultra-quiet.

Wish me luck
Dude I am consistently impressed with the quality of Vibrant stuff, especially the Ultra Quiet. The only issue I had with adding one to a 3" exhaust on the FiST while trying to eliminate drone is it eliminated all the higher frequencies making the drone sound worse lol.

The UQ's short case is meant for high frequencies and rasp while leaving the deep tones, I totally doofed on that one when building my exhaust.

2.25/2.5 sound great with little drone, when you go to 3" and it's mandrel bent, the stock bends that normally prevent wave propagation are "straightened out" which is a big part of why the FiST drones so bad with 3". It lets that 10.5 foot wavelength (107hz) propagate without being broken up. I do wonder if 3" with normal/crush bends would prevent drone.. but I am not willing to spend money to intentionally get crush bends lol.

Hey everyone, I am looking for exhaust suggestions. I currently have a Depo catless downpipe and a muffler and resonator delete on the stock exhaust. I love the sound but and I don't mind the volume. I just think it draws too much attention and I feel like it's gonna get me in trouble. Suggestions for something a bit quieter but not super quiet would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey everyone, I am looking for exhaust suggestions. I currently have a Depo catless downpipe and a muffler and resonator delete on the stock exhaust. I love the sound but and I don't mind the volume. I just think it draws too much attention and I feel like it's gonna get me in trouble. Suggestions for something a bit quieter but not super quiet would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
You asked for it....Thermal R& D all the way! I can feel the Eye rolling now by others. But for those who know...just nod there heads.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Se7eN

Wish me luck
I literally forgot about this

Update MBRP is really really Loud with 2860 turbo, nuff said

Se7eN

Lmao. Add a vibrant in the back?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
No space on the back for it with the MBRP, might end up replacing the resonator it comes with with a Vibrant. But for now I'll keep it as it. I rarely do long drives so it's livable for now. Plus the wife doesn't hate it.

Hi all,
Anyone have the Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back exhaust on their Fiesta ST? I’ve been through a few videos of different exhaust as I am in the market to upgrade mine, and (via video quality) feel like Flowmaster has a nice tone per my taste. Want to know if anyone has them and what they personally think about them. Thanks for the advice and info!!