Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Consistent 27-28. All city daily commute, 10 miles each way. I calculated by trip meter/gallons upon full fill. I only use AC when headed home if it's baking hot.

PhoenixM3

I’m at a solid 33 mpg. Mostly rural roads during my 49 mile round trip to work.

Two years later (different FiST) and an S280, I get 34MPG IF I’m driving like a law abiding citizen (which I hate and avoid most of the time.)

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I realize I am in a different situation than most here. I am posting as an example of what our car is capable of. I am retired and use my FiST for my DD which is mostly long trips on the interstate and puttering around town. In town I get avg of 32 mpg if I skip shifts, I use 1-2-4-6, I am not in a big hurry to get to the next red light, I also brake early and use the transmission to slow for lights. I am fortunate enough to have easy access to 93 octane non-ethanol which improves my mileage at a higher cost, but my MP-215 seems to like it better and so do I. On the interstates I cruise at 74 in a 70 and using top tier( BP when I can) 93 octane corn likker get an avg 36 mpg, on the non-ethanol that increase to over 37.5 mpg. When Fifi and I do hoon the mountains roads (again on straight stuff) I get about 26 mpg. I estimate only 15% of my driving is on the back roads getting it on if that much.

Our cars can be very efficient with efficient driving methods. My OEM Bridgestones went over 30K as did my brakes.
Mileage and wear on the FiST is determined mainly by the operator and driving conditions. My driving conditions allow me to get these numbers........L.A. and Atlanta commuters are just screwed! Cheap to run, my total maintenance cost not including oil changes has been under $1100 for new tires, new rotors and pads for 3 years and 35K miles. 3 cents a mile is damn cheap! Love my Fifi!

Spork1569

Still averaging about 22mpg all city miles. Lots of surface streets. Over 30 on the freeway, but I spend little time there. Mostly in traffic or stoplight to stoplight. Gets a little better with a gallon of e85 on board.
That's crazy, I would expect mileage to be worse with E-85

I've only had my 2019 since May 14 of this year. On the one long trip from Metro Detroit area to Lake George, NY the 720 mile drive took 1 fillup midway at the Angola stop on the NT Thruway. Mileage (calculated) at that point was 36.2 mpg with an average speed of 62 mph. Note, lots of construction slowdowns and stoppages on that leg. Second leg from Angola to Lake George yielded 39.4 mpg at an average speed of 71 mph. No major stoppages on the second leg but did a bit of driving on county highways at about 45-60 mph between Amsterdam and Ballston Spa in a short cut between the Thruway and Northway. Going back the mileages were similar and overall mpg worked out to 37.2 mpg.

In city driving I have a lot more experience. Average mpg at each fillup runs between 31 and 32 mpg and the average speed is typically in the 23 to 26 mph range. So my city driving typically is stop light to stop light with the lights spaced 1/2 to 3/4 miles apart. What I've found to help in getting the best mileage is to pay attention to the upshift indicator and moderate use of the throttle when leaving a light. Note, the Fiesta will cruise just fine on level roads in 6th gear at just 30 mph and indicate between 50 and 72 mph depending on the slight changes in gradient. I will also note that on the two 30 mph legs that allow me to drive almost 2 miles without stopping I use the cruise control. Because people by nature tend to surge the gas/speed and using cruise control means that the throttle control is totally in sync with the road.

Tip here is use cruise control whenever possible because it will actually improve your fuel mileage. I will also note that I do NOT use engine braking because it can waste gas. As for the theory of increased wear on the brakes, 1) this engine doesn't have enough volume for decent engine braking at low engine speeds and 2) automatic transmission vehicles brake without any assistance from engine braking and the brakes hold up just fine. Yeah, using engine braking might extend the life of your pads by 4 or 5 miles in theory but is that 4 or 5 miles worth the effort and wear on the clutch. I'll also note that the Fiesta pedal placement is horrible for heel ant toe shifting. I'll also point out that the vacuum levels produced by a closed throttle will draw more engine oil into the combustion chamber and possibly increase the rate of carbon buildup on the intake valves.

Note, Macomb County Michigan seems to have adopted a policy that every driver MUST stop at every single traffic light encountered. Probably on the mistaken notion that stopping at every light will reduce road speeds but I see a lot more speeding and running of red lights than seen back when you could actually time lights to catch them on the green. Note, I even saw a Warren PD patrol car run a red light so they could get to the donut shop across the street a bit sooner. Granted he did stop and look but when a traffic policy has police cars running red lights it's an indication of a traffic policy that is just plain stupid. I've actually thought about contacting the EPA and complaining about how this traffic policy is wasting many thousands of gallons of gasoline and releasing who knows how much excess Carbon into the atmosphere. Because I suspect that if I oculd just hit a few lights on the green I could see 35 mpg or even a bit more.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
I've only had my 2019 since May 14 of this year. On the one long trip from Metro Detroit area to Lake George, NY the 720 mile drive took 1 fillup midway at the Angola stop on the NT Thruway. Mileage (calculated) at that point was 36.2 mpg with an average speed of 62 mph. Note, lots of construction slowdowns and stoppages on that leg. Second leg from Angola to Lake George yielded 39.4 mpg at an average speed of 71 mph. No major stoppages on the second leg but did a bit of driving on county highways at about 45-60 mph between Amsterdam and Ballston Spa in a short cut between the Thruway and Northway. Going back the mileages were similar and overall mpg worked out to 37.2 mpg.

In city driving I have a lot more experience. Average mpg at each fillup runs between 31 and 32 mpg and the average speed is typically in the 23 to 26 mph range. So my city driving typically is stop light to stop light with the lights spaced 1/2 to 3/4 miles apart. What I've found to help in getting the best mileage is to pay attention to the upshift indicator and moderate use of the throttle when leaving a light. Note, the Fiesta will cruise just fine on level roads in 6th gear at just 30 mph and indicate between 50 and 72 mph depending on the slight changes in gradient. I will also note that on the two 30 mph legs that allow me to drive almost 2 miles without stopping I use the cruise control. Because people by nature tend to surge the gas/speed and using cruise control means that the throttle control is totally in sync with the road.

Tip here is use cruise control whenever possible because it will actually improve your fuel mileage. I will also note that I do NOT use engine braking because it can waste gas. As for the theory of increased wear on the brakes, 1) this engine doesn't have enough volume for decent engine braking at low engine speeds and 2) automatic transmission vehicles brake without any assistance from engine braking and the brakes hold up just fine. Yeah, using engine braking might extend the life of your pads by 4 or 5 miles in theory but is that 4 or 5 miles worth the effort and wear on the clutch. I'll also note that the Fiesta pedal placement is horrible for heel ant toe shifting. I'll also point out that the vacuum levels produced by a closed throttle will draw more engine oil into the combustion chamber and possibly increase the rate of carbon buildup on the intake valves.

Note, Macomb County Michigan seems to have adopted a policy that every driver MUST stop at every single traffic light encountered. Probably on the mistaken notion that stopping at every light will reduce road speeds but I see a lot more speeding and running of red lights than seen back when you could actually time lights to catch them on the green. Note, I even saw a Warren PD patrol car run a red light so they could get to the donut shop across the street a bit sooner. Granted he did stop and look but when a traffic policy has police cars running red lights it's an indication of a traffic policy that is just plain stupid. I've actually thought about contacting the EPA and complaining about how this traffic policy is wasting many thousands of gallons of gasoline and releasing who knows how much excess Carbon into the atmosphere. Because I suspect that if I oculd just hit a few lights on the green I could see 35 mpg or even a bit more.
Wait, does that include green lights too? So a green light is a stop and go?

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Also if you're lugging the engine in higher gears at low rpm it's going to use more fuel than being at higher rpm with light throttle. I would keep rpm above 2k and below maybe 3 k in normal driving just keep light on the throttle how heavy you are on the throttle has way way more to do with fuel consumption than what rpm you're at or what gear you're in
Exactly, low RPM means more load means more boost when you tap the throttle. Boost always requires more fuel. 6th gear at 45mph is low rpm, high load, high boost compare to 4th gear low load, high rpm, low boost with gradual throttle increase.

Staying out of boost is really the key to MPGs but requires more shifting and being bored out of your mind.

I get good mpgs cruising on the highway, it's around town that I get the most enjoyment anyway so I won't baby it there.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Brakes are designed for braking. Use them, but don't lay on them. You're neither going down a mountain or hauling trailers.

The goal is efficiency but within reason. In our case, unless "modified", running too low octane, and/or dirty cylinders (carbon buildup), simply trust that the engineers have done the work of protecting against LSPI. More RPMS = explosions = more fuel, which is why the ECU activates the shift light earlier, rather than later. The effect of being in too low a gear is cumulative. Cruising in too low of a gear on a 4 cyllinder can mean 500 more RPM or 1,000 more explosions to fuel, per minute. The user manual indicates that the shift light activates based on optimal fuel efficiency for the calculated engine load. Pieces of information the ECU doesn't have though, are onsetting terrain and future user intent; hence why the shift points seem a little low to many people.

People often think that an engine is being "lugged" when it isn't. An engine is being lugged, when its cooling system cannot dissipate enough heat to offset generation. (water pump turning too slow) Note that the engine is "lugged" at every take-off but for a short time frame. More often I hear people shifting higher than is necessary for their given rates of acceleration (even more so with motorcycles who often cruise one to three gears below what is necessary).

I finally got 36.9 mpg out of my FiST last time I had it calculated on Fuelly.com. Doesn't look like I"m gonna be able to break 40 to 43 like I did with my last FiST which was a 2013 auto base model with 15" wheels . I think the large 17" wheels are what's holding me back this time .

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I finally got 36.9 mpg out of my FiST last time I had it calculated on Fuelly.com. Doesn't look like I"m gonna be able to break 40 to 43 like I did with my last FiST which was a 2013 auto base model with 15" wheels . I think the large 17" wheels are what's holding me back this time .
Na its the Turbo..... and not being behind a semi for 300+ miles with a tailwind! I've almost broke 40 with 39.6....on A Gen2 BT without Aux. on! [party]

I average around 24 mpg. (93 oct., Dizzy Stage 1 tune).
But 95% of my driving is in the city, stop light to stop light, and I have a hard time keeping a light foot.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I average around 24 mpg. (93 oct., Dizzy Stage 1 tune).
But 95% of my driving is in the city, stop light to stop light, and I have a hard time keeping a light foot.
When on a main road and have stop at every or every other light for minutes just to watch 1-3 cars peruse the intersection I get annoyed... and accelerate harder. You often have to wonder about traffic engineers. :rolleyes:

I’m on a dizzy stage 1 tune and I daily drive 100 miles round trip for work each day. I usually go about 75mpg averaging 31-32 according to Fuelly. I got 36mpg when I was breaking in the car going under 60. On E30 I get about 27mpg, maybe I’m just having too much fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
When I drove in the city every day, I would get 24mpg. I also was not the most conservative driver, I like going hard off the line.
On long highway trips, I get 31-30 mpg.