Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST not a slow car.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Having hit that mark , the only downside I am seeing is torque steer which I absolutely hate.
It is the one thing that makes me want to pick up another RWD for the sake of HP. I am firmly convinced at this point that the sweet spot on these cars is around 250-300 HP max.

The Car is slow on paper stock but feels fast like others have mentioned. Its a Quick fun car. The fun factor and handling is why I bought it. Its very visceral in that way. I am working on eliminating the TQ steer but I cannot see going much beyond the numbers I have managed to pull with the upgraded turbo. Oh and its definitely fast now. Though there are still cars that are faster.

We are in a certain HP glory days. I say that because never before in the last 5-10 years cars have been sold stock with huge amounts of HP. The power to weight ratio’s from the factory have never been better. Even back in the so called Muscle car glory days.
In that sense even with a upgraded turbo that is what the FiST is up against. The trick is to remember its faster where some of those cars still aren’t aka in the corners. I find some of these cars still might edge me in a straight line but the minute I hit the corners I am caught up and passing them.

In a lot of ways this is exactly where the Datsun 510 excelled back in the day. I have to admit driving the FiST stock for the first time did remind me of driving my old 69 2 door 510 that was lowered and pumped engine wise.

I will not get rid of it but I am definitely getting another RWD sports car to sit in the garage alongside it.
w/r/t torque steer, have you upgraded the motor mounts (other than the RMM)? StilI on stock turbo w/E30 tune, so it might not be comparable, but with the PowerFlex insert on the driver's side and the cp-e passenger-side mount, I don't notice torque steer anymore ... but the cp-e mount definitely adds NVH

Dpro

6000 Post Club
w/r/t torque steer, have you upgraded the motor mounts (other than the RMM)? StilI on stock turbo w/E30 tune, so it might not be comparable, but with the PowerFlex insert on the driver's side and the cp-e passenger-side mount, I don't notice torque steer anymore ... but the cp-e mount definitely adds NVH
lol ya and the stock turbo is no comparison too a upgraded turbo . Come back to me when you put out 340 ft lbs TQ at the wheels. Yes I have upgraded mounts and a brace as well. 🤣

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The car hits a sweet spot of performance for me, including its speed. I love the balance of the car, and the power fits well with everything else. The extra bump in power from my Mountune tune doesn't destroy that balance, but actually enhances it.
The car is fast enough to be enjoyable, but not so fast that you immediately need to turn in your driver's license for a year if you punch the gas for a few seconds. That's the problem with a lot of really fast cars, you just can't use or enjoy the speed on a public road.
I practiced law for many years and handled thousands of speeding tickets, so I knew the limits of what you could get away with.If someone got a ticket for 30 over or less, it could usually be plea bargained down to keep their license and eliminate or at least minimize the effect on their insurance. If someone got a ticket for going 95 or more, they were basically screwed, there was nothing that I could do for the person except possibly get them a limited driving privilege to drive only to work or school. Because of that work experience, I decided I didn't want or need a crazy fast car, just one fast enough to be fun, which ours definitely is.
^^^This is at least part of why I am hesitant to throw more than a tune's worth of power at this car, even if I could afford to do so right now, as the power train warranty expires, or when it is fully paid off next year.

Even if said 50% to 75% more than factory power, and the inevitable resultant torque steer could be controlled, or at least mitigated somewhat by; mounts, bushings, braces, limited slips, and tires in both a straight line and while cornering, I know that IF I have that much power under my right foot, I AM going to use it, and get into BIG trouble on the street. [:(]

That is besides the extra co$t$ of the things which become 'consumables' at those power levels (or above), which are not as subject to destruction on a factory power, or tuned FiST, i.e.; CV joints/half shafts, gearboxes, clutches/flywheels, as well as the 'expected' consumables of tires, brake pads/rotors, etc., if one actually uses said power regularly.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
........... IF I have that much power under my right foot, I AM going to use it, and get into BIG trouble on the street. ...............
Would this be you? 😜
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/favorite-moment-in-your-fist.23881/post-404326

BTW, can someone explain WHY the cops didn't block this clown in? WTH. I guess they were concerned about the super dark window tint and being armed... and I have no idea what lead up to the start of the video? Maybe he had a passenger/hostage. Dunno... (and I assume "he" because women almost never do this type of stuff)
View: https://youtu.be/QjjeWGykIHU?t=1803

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
^^^This is at least part of why I am hesitant to throw more than a tune's worth of power at this car, even if I could afford to do so right now, as the power train warranty expires, or when it is fully paid off next year.

Even if said 50% to 75% more than factory power, and the inevitable resultant torque steer could be controlled, or at least mitigated somewhat by; mounts, bushings, braces, limited slips, and tires in both a straight line and while cornering, I know that IF I have that much power under my right foot, I AM going to use it, and get into BIG trouble on the street. [:(]

That is besides the extra co$t$ of the things which become 'consumables' at those power levels (or above), which are not as subject to destruction on a factory power, or tuned FiST, i.e.; CV joints/half shafts, gearboxes, clutches/flywheels, as well as the 'expected' consumables of tires, brake pads/rotors, etc., if one actually uses said power regularly.
The surest way to mitigate torque steer is by controlling torque with your tune.

OP
Old Mike Emerson

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #28
Speed, like many, many other things, is relative. For the price when new yeah, it was a very quick car. But compared to what you're sitting next to at a given light? Probably not.
You are correct, but on the street, races a lot of the time are won not by the fastest car, but by the driver with the bigger balls.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
You are correct, but on the street, races a lot of the time are won not by the fastest car, but by the driver with the bigger balls.
Meh. I call it a "crazy contest". In other words, it's a contest to see who's the craziest. I hate the fact that I've been a "winner" before; for it merely means I was the weakest. Sometimes the winner merely ends up with the biggest bill. https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/good-bye-fiesta.12422/