Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST not always starting on the first try!

I had it for 2 years but just since 2 weeks ago it started doing this: I press the start button and nothing happens. As if the battery is dead. But it's not. Eventually I found a trick: I open and close the drivers door; then I press the start button without pressing the clutch (now the dash lights turn on, the heater starts, the radio starts, everything works), and the car starts.

Did this happen to someone else ?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I had it for 2 years but just since 2 weeks ago it started doing this: I press the start button and nothing happens. As if the battery is dead. But it's not. Eventually I found a trick: I open and close the drivers door; then I press the start button without pressing the clutch (now the dash lights turn on, the heater starts, the radio starts, everything works), and the car starts.

Have you replaced the the Key fob batteries yet? That's something that can cause the issue....especially if it still the OEM remote batteries.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

DEss

Check your battery terminals to see if the contacts are good.

DEss

OP
Voltron77
Thread Starter #6
Last night I saw the message appear for the first time "Key battery low replace soon" so that was the problem, Something so anodine as changing the key battery! Imagine if because of this I had gotten stranded in the middle of the McDonalds drive-thru line the other night! Anyway thank you all, have a nice day!

I've been experiencing the same issue with my FiST. Our local newspaper actually wrote an article about dozens of modern, keyless/push-button vehicles having this issue. I'm wondering if it's coincidence, or if they're tied together somehow.

I replaced my fob batteries, but am having the alternator replaced tomorrow. I have an extended warranty that covers this. It's only costing me $100, while the dealership would have charged me $460 +TX, $40 Core charge and installation.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

OP
Voltron77
Thread Starter #8
To give an update on my weird problem, I have good news and bad news. The bad news is after I changed the key's battery the problem was not fixed, it was just temporary well behaving. So week after week it was like, sometimes the car starts perfectly; sometimes it starts almost perfectly but makes an extra noise; sometimes does not start nothing happens when I push the button so I hit the steering wheel and then it starts; sometimes I have to sit in the car and keep hitting the steering wheel while I rapidly press the button and it starts after 15 minutes; really annoying it brought me near despair cause I'm not a mechanic I hate fixing cars. But then out of desperation I open the hood and look at the battery and I notice the ground cable is not really well screwed to the frame. (On the photo you can see this). So that's the good news, it seems to have fixed the problem.

I hope this can help someone, before you go spend money at the car repair.

Other diagnosis symptoms I had:
-when I hit a bump some weird electrical thing happens like a beep or a light.
-on the highway no bumps the car drops off cruise control and everything shuts off for one second then restarts , that was scary .

good luck IMG_20191016_094713.jpg

Did you ever have a loud clicking when turning the HVAC system off? My car has been doing that for the past couple months. Sounds almost like a vent is stuck open and won't close, or something.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Did you ever have a loud clicking when turning the HVAC system off? My car has been doing that for the past couple months. Sounds almost like a vent is stuck open and won't close, or something.

Well known issue, lots of posts on here about it. Look up replacing the Blend Door Actuator

SrsBsns

-on the highway no bumps the car drops off cruise control and everything shuts off for one second then restarts , that was scary .
I had a problem like this on my E36 M3. I had a ground problem. When I was able to find the bad connection, I didn't have the problem anymore. It freaked me out when it happened though.

Just got off the phone with my local shop. I have warranty on the vehicle (aftermarket). They're claiming the alternator is totally fine. They're suggesting I replace the battery. I wonder if that'll solve this issue.