Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Rally and Offroad mods

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
For those FiST owners who spend a significant amount of time on surfaces other than pavement, what mods have you done (and what do you plan to do) related to off road driving? Also, what do you find commonly needs attention or breaks? I'm curious because I've always thought the fiestas are great little cars for whipping around on gravel and I was wondering how well they hold up to it.

Last edited:

Sam4

"skid plates" has been a recent topic of interest. I had the Evap tank mounting tabs snap - drivers side rear tucked up by the spring mount - and zip ties didn't get 'er done. No off road rally, but do I remember a chunk o'something on the highway??

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have done; Skid Plate Guy's front plate, No Pistons EVAP cannister guard, and HUGE (bigger than Rally Armor/RB/etc.) mud flaps, along with a 15x7 strong wheel/XL rated, NOT 'studless' winter tires.

I am still in the process of researching suspension, since I only want to do this ONCE, instead of swapping it out as often as I change undies, as some on here do, when they make the wrong choice. [wink]

IF I had the coin, and could justify it, the $8K-$10K R2 M-Sport Rieger remote rservoir setup would already be on the car.
I would probably opt for the tarmac version with a medium spring rate, since they can be adjusted fairly high in ride height (over factory) and still function, unlike all of the affordable/cheap 'slammer/stancer' setups for our rides, due to the very rough nature of some Euro/WRC tarmac rally surfaces), and unlike those discount far eastern products they are BOMBPROOF! (Yes, as they should be for that king's ransom price.)

The factory setup has 'done me right' working on ARA rally stage roads so far though, and if the Swift Spec R springs did not lower the car at all, they would be on mine over Bilstein B6es right now (ideally, I want a higher spring rate LINEAR non-lowering spring, which of course, DOES NOT EXIST, over the B6es [:(]).

Last edited:
OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #4
I have done; Skid Plate Guy's front plate, No Pistons EVAP cannister guard, and HUGE (bigger than Rally Armor/RB/etc.) mud flaps, along with a 15x7 strong wheel/XL rated, NOT 'studless' winter tires.

I am still in the process of researching suspension, since I only want to do this ONCE, instead of swapping it out as often as I change undies, as some on here do, when they make the wrong choice. [wink]

IF I had the coin, and could justify it, the $8K-$10K R2 M-Sport Rieger remote rservoir setup would already be on the car.
I would probably opt for the tarmac version with a medium spring rate, since they can be adjusted fairly high in ride height (over factory) and still function, unlike all of the affordable/cheap 'slammer/stancer' setups for our rides, due to the very rough nature of some Euro/WRC tarmac rally surfaces), and unlike those discount far eastern products they are BOMBPROOF! (Yes, as they should be for that king's ransom price.)

The factory setup has 'done me right' working on ARA rally stage roads so far though, and if the Swift Spec R springs did not lower the car at all, they would be on mine over Bilstein B6es right now (ideally, I want a higher spring rate LINEAR non-lowering spring, which of course, DOES NOT EXIST, over the B6es [:(]).
Interesting to hear your still on stock suspension. I've heard people say it's pretty robust. 8k is a lot to pay for suspension on a 15k car.
I assume you still have the stock underside cardboard-like panel, although mine seemed like it got destroyed easily. Do you ever have issues without the evap canister protection? I know that they aren't available for purchase any more, I wish someone made a similar product

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Interesting to hear your still on stock suspension. I've heard people say it's pretty robust. 8k is a lot to pay for suspension on a 15k car.
I assume you still have the stock underside cardboard-like panel, although mine seemed like it got destroyed easily. Do you ever have issues without the evap canister protection? I know that they aren't available for purchase any more, I wish someone made a similar product
I never even attempted to go onto the stage rally roads without it (or without the front skid plate), so I cannot provide any feedback on that question. [:(]

Yes, paying out more than half of what the car is even worth at this point for suspension is most likely severe overkill for my uses.

But sadly, NO ONE and I mean NO ONE anywhere has been able to show me anything even approaching the level of that setup, for even as much as (as little as??) a quarter of the a$king price.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I do not have them, but there are kevlar guard/shields placed under the rear beam axle, but attached well in front of it, and open at the back, which were available in this country from Team O'Neil, which sadly, is no more.

So if one needs them now, you must fabricate them yourself, or try getting them from M-Sport in Poland, who now handle all of the R2, and sub R4/R5 level Ford rally car needs. But yeah, $$$$$$$$, and much time to get these. [:(]

I figure that since I am not going at rally competition speeds down the gravel stage roads, and therefore I am NOT experiencing the gravel/rocks/dirt being 'M60ed/mini-gunned back' at the tank, they are more a luxury than a necessity for my uses anyway. [wink]

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #8
I guess I should post what I've do to my FiST since I'm the one who started the thread :ROFLMAO:

I have an ADF Customs skid plate and rally armor mud flaps. I also bought the custom car grills mesh grill set, but I'm only using the lower one to keep rocks from hitting the intercooler. For wheels and tires I have 185/60R15 General Arctic Altimax 12s mounted on 15in steel rims from tire rack. I don't have any evap protection or even the stock protective panel.

In the future, I want to upgrade all my shocks to B6s. The B6s seem like a good balance of strength without being crazy expensive. I currently have B4s up front because one of my front shocks went bad not long after I bought the car.
I also want to get upgraded fog lights, either baja designs or diode dynamics. I drive forest service roads in the mountains and I like to do it at night because there's less people and its much easier to tell when someone's coming from the opposite direction, hence the desire for better lights.
I also want to add some sort of protection for the stuff behind the skid plate. I don't really have any idea how to do that yet though.

Interesting and random side note: When I go to the mountains I sleep in my car (I'm 6ft 1in). I can easily and comfortably fit by removing all the seats but the drivers seat and putting a cooler in the rear footwell to make a somewhat flat area, then padding it with lots of pillows.
IMG_20220125_145041649.jpg

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I also want to upgrade from the factory fog lights to something with a bit more 'throw', as well as some 'cornering light' capabilities.

IF there were more night stage ARA rallies in the east, which I could attend/work, I would even consider on hood light pods, or some sort of LED light bars, like the top rally teams use. [wink]

Until (or, if ever) that happens, those are just too much bother and expense, as well as being totally illegal in my area for as much as I try to avoid driving at night (due to the insane number of the white tailed hooved beasts roaming the woods, fields, and roadsides around here).

I wish that there was a pre-made driver's side aftermarket replacement bezel/insert which already had a cutout and flange for the ST200 air box ducting, while still retaining the factory fog light mount in it's current location.

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #10
I also want to upgrade from the factory fog lights to something with a bit more 'throw', as well as some 'cornering light' capabilities.

IF there were more night stage ARA rallies in the east, which I could attend/work, I would even consider on hood light pods, or some sort of LED light bars, like the top rally teams use. [wink]

Until (or, if ever) that happens, those are just too much bother and expense, as well as being totally illegal in my area for as much as I try to avoid driving at night (due to the insane number of the white tailed hooved beasts roaming the woods, fields, and roadsides around here).

I wish that there was a pre-made driver's side aftermarket replacement bezel/insert which already had a cutout and flange for the ST200 air box ducting, while still retaining the factory fog light mount in it's current location.
I love the look of the front mounted pod lights, but I feel like depending on how they mount they will block airflow to the radiator. I am also wary of driving at night after a stupid deer decided to run in front of my car. Thankfully, my insurance paid for it. IMG_20210405_225729322.jpg

SPhilli911

I love the look of the front mounted pod lights, but I feel like depending on how they mount they will block airflow to the radiator. I am also wary of driving at night after a stupid deer decided to run in front of my car. Thankfully, my insurance paid for it.
I've yet to properly wire these lights to my car, despite having them for years, but did a test fit once. There are mounted on a Rally Innovations light bar and are off to the sides enough not to block anything.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I've yet to properly wire these lights to my car, despite having them for years, but did a test fit once. There are mounted on a Rally Innovations light bar and are off to the sides enough not to block anything.

COOL! [thumb]

That is the 'old school rally' setup way of doing it, and how my old A2 GTI 16V was done, except that they were drilled, and mounted directly into the slightly protruding bumper with two huge PIAA 'laser beam' driving lights on top, and two Hella 500s on the bottom set pointing outwards as cornering lights.

That was back when STPR was run as a straight through event, starting early Saturday AM, and running right through the night until almost 3:00 AM Sunday, so yeah, I needed them then.

There were no light bars available way back when, unless you fabbed them up yourself. [wink]

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
When I had my Chevette HS2300 in Germany, I fitted two Bosch spots, each putting out 150watts and it upgraded my bulbs to H1's. On high beam, I had 600watts to play with, more than enough to light up 3 lanes of autobahn! It was like daylight, even back in the 80's!

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #14

That looks really cool, even if you never finish wiring it šŸ¤£

Gorilla Offroad specializes in Subaru stuff, but maybe they'd do something for the Fiesta?
I had them make a skidplate/lightbar for my WRX

Attachments

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have one of those lights, the other one smashed the glass when it fell off the shelf in my garage. Willing to sell the lone survivor for $50. Anyone interested?

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #17
Gorilla Offroad specializes in Subaru stuff, but maybe they'd do something for the Fiesta?
I had them make a skidplate/lightbar for my WRX
Thanks for the tip! Btw, your Subie looks nice. I love hatchback WRXs

Thanks for the tip! Btw, your Subie looks nice. I love hatchback WRXs
Thanks, I loved it too! I went from the WRX to the Fiesta because the motor blew on the WRX at 30k miles, and just a while before the class action settlement over the EJ25. The Fiesta is a better autocross tool, but I do miss that traction in the winter.

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #20
Thanks, I loved it too! I went from the WRX to the Fiesta because the motor blew on the WRX at 30k miles, and just a while before the class action settlement over the EJ25. The Fiesta is a better autocross tool, but I do miss that traction in the winter.
That sucks, 30k seems a little premature. I guess it was trying to live up to the stereotype. Why is the FiST better for autocross? Because of the weight?