Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

First Car! how's everybody live in CA and smog goes?tons of questions herešŸ™

Hello everyone senior,

came to america almost one year without a car
finally one day I'm trying to borrow my buddy's car going costco buy some stuff he said sorry and nošŸ˜­

Then I'm start looking buy a car , After searches seem not too much choice for me [Alot people said buy any of a car,Years is first not miles first]I'm planning to buy a car cost 3500, 2013 Fiesta 5MT 170000 miles
I love MT so much bc I believe it's more fun and enjoying besides AT , It's more like"riding" not driving xD
And I just browsing the Cargurus change the distance to national wide holy I found this
A 2015 Fiesta ST 6MT! damn only 143000 miles

less miles, better years and more features only plus 1000 dollars geez I'm crazy of it
It's come with these mods:
Enkei RPF1 4 wheels
intercooler
Bilenstin suspension
And seller give me tons items
A cobb access port
and 4 Snow tires with alloy wheels
But....its on NYC and he's not like selling to me
Finall after many nasty conversation[I called the car Her and him dad xD]He finally accept itšŸ¤©I believe him love the car so much,carfax 1 owner.

Then after I spend 1250 for transportation fees[900 on carrier,200 on broker and 150 for tips he allowed the seller put all the stuff in the trunk tho

And finally it arrived at yesterday everything good now but here's the problem:

We all know have to do the smog test in CA but...
Yeah the car come with a Stratified E30/95 combo tune....I don't know it will pass smog or not....or I have to use the cobb reset to stock tune first?

hope you can reply me
Staying at dmv now for inspectionšŸ™

slopoke

You are going to need the complete stock airbox and crossover tube as well. Check your downpipe to see if that is stock.Plus you are going to have to delete the Sound Symposer block off and find a stock Sound Symposer tube. That's a big problem of buying an out of state car sight unseen. When you are ready to have it re-tested. Go back to the same shop and the same tech. That way with the stuff he found on the visual, as long as they are done, he should pass you on the visual. If you go to another shop and another tech. He may find something that the first tech missed and then you are going to have to find those stock parts as well. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
Z
Thread Starter #6
hello sir
You are going to need the complete stock airbox and crossover tube as well. Check your downpipe to see if that is stock.Plus you are going to have to delete the Sound Symposer block off and find a stock Sound Symposer tube. That's a big problem of buying an out of state car sight unseen. When you are ready to have it re-tested. Go back to the same shop and the same tech. That way with the stuff he found on the visual, as long as they are done, he should pass you on the visual. If you go to another shop and another tech. He may find something that the first tech missed and then you are going to have to find those stock parts as well. Good luck.
hello sir, did you see the first photo I send to you?
What is that
The mishimoto brand I fond a carb number already but the first one name with boomba didn't figure out what is thatšŸ˜­

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Mism
hello sir

hello sir, did you see the first photo I send to you?
What is that
The mishimoto brand I fond a carb number already but the first one name with boomba didn't figure out what is thatšŸ˜­
If you found a carb sticker for the Mishimoto you need to show it to the smog tech as far as the Bomba symposer delete goes there is no smog sticker for those . You have to put the stock factoey sound symposer box back in so it looks stock.

OP
Z
Thread Starter #8
Thank you so much!

OP
Z
Thread Starter #9
Mism

If you found a carb sticker for the Mishimoto you need to show it to the smog tech as far as the Bomba symposer delete goes there is no smog sticker for those . You have to put the stock factoey sound symposer box back in so it looks stock.
Mism

Sorry new problem here... Any advise for find a stock sound symposer? I been searched fordparts webside and didn't find out ;/

OP
Z
Thread Starter #11
Thank you sir
btw seems you living in Bay area too right? Where you use to do the smog test at?
And should I do a full inspection on Ford offcial service center or other place like firestone?Because the vehicle already take 140,000 Miles before.
I just thought there might some parts need to replace or check health
If going to dealer is better choice than non-offcial The closest dealer is Hilltop Ford, Or I should go the biggest Ford dealer on bay area for a inspection service?

Hope you can reply me,Thank you so much!

slopoke

I live in the East Bay Area. I can see the wind turbines on the Altamont ridgeline, from my house. My cars are all stock, except for my modified Mustang and it's not due for another 4 years. Anyway, I go to the shop with the cheapest prices, since I will always pass visual on my other cars. My Mustang has an E.O # for the mods on my Mustang, so I will take it to the cheapest shop in town. It's typically one of 3 shops.

If you have a friend that is knowledgeable about cars, have that person take a look at it. If it were me, to start, I'd change all of the fluids, transmission, engine, brake, power steering. If it's got a non sealed battery, top off the electrolytes. Operate all of the lights, backup, turn, brake, etc to see if they are all functioning. Good luck with your new purchase!

I wonder if replacing the whole sound symposer assembly would be that big a deal. After all, the visual giveaway is the Boomba part that sticks out and is visible. I wonder if something non-descript like a black plastic plug would be enough to get by on.

Going to a small smog shop where the inspector isn't too familiar with the ST would be an advantage. I took mine to my local little shop that's done all of my cars for years. I have an oil separator mounted to the right shock tower, but I painted it flat black to make it blend in with the rest of the engine components, and the hoses and connections look fairly stock, not bright colors or shiny parts. My guy looked at it quizically for a few minutes, then just shrugged and went on with his regular inspection.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
If the car had 140,000 miles when you purchased it, you aren't far from the required timing belt change at 150,000 miles. Accessory drive belts are also due then.

OP
Z
Thread Starter #15
I wonder if replacing the whole sound symposer assembly would be that big a deal. After all, the visual giveaway is the Boomba part that sticks out and is visible. I wonder if something non-descript like a black plastic plug would be enough to get by on.

Going to a small smog shop where the inspector isn't too familiar with the ST would be an advantage. I took mine to my local little shop that's done all of my cars for years. I have an oil separator mounted to the right shock tower, but I painted it flat black to make it blend in with the rest of the engine components, and the hoses and connections look fairly stock, not bright colors or shiny parts. My guy looked at it quizically for a few minutes, then just shrugged and went on with his regular inspection.
Very Useful! Thank you so much!

Finding a Symposer will likely prove easy because many get rid of these things to get the droning sound out of the cockpit. Odds are fairly good someone on this forum will give one to you for nothing more than the shipping charges. The only hiccup in this is you have a 2015 and Ford may have used a different symposer on the early ST's versus later ST's.

The second issue is that you are not only sitting at the point where a new timing belt is needed you are also at the point where a new Clutch assembly is required. My estimate is that the cost to replace the Flywheel, Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Slave Cylinder will run to 2300 dollars in Michigan and probably 4000 dollars or more in California. As for the increased cost for California that is due to the extremely high taxes in California. To be blunt you will need to spend about 5000 California dollars on your car within the next 10,000 miles. Fail to do the timing belt and you'll end up with a destroyed engine and find out a replacement starts at 12,000 dollars just for a new engine from Ford. When the clutch goes bad then you'll have to park the car because it just won't go. This maintenance point is why you could get the Fiesta ST so cheap, it's an expensive service point.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Finding a Symposer will likely prove easy because many get rid of these things to get the droning sound out of the cockpit. Odds are fairly good someone on this forum will give one to you for nothing more than the shipping charges. The only hiccup in this is you have a 2015 and Ford may have used a different symposer on the early ST's versus later ST's.

The second issue is that you are not only sitting at the point where a new timing belt is needed you are also at the point where a new Clutch assembly is required. My estimate is that the cost to replace the Flywheel, Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Slave Cylinder will run to 2300 dollars in Michigan and probably 4000 dollars or more in California. As for the increased cost for California that is due to the extremely high taxes in California. To be blunt you will need to spend about 5000 California dollars on your car within the next 10,000 miles. Fail to do the timing belt and you'll end up with a destroyed engine and find out a replacement starts at 12,000 dollars just for a new engine from Ford. When the clutch goes bad then you'll have to park the car because it just won't go. This maintenance point is why you could get the Fiesta ST so cheap, it's an expensive service point.
This part about expenses to repair in California is so not true and based on someoneā€™s speculation. Oh and Ford does not sell new engines for our cars anymore they have been discontinued. He could easily get all of the above done here for $2500 and no taxes will not kill it as you canā€™t tax labor there is only sales tax on parts.
Oh and how do I know I live here and have done a Clutch pp , slave and LSD install at the same time for $1500 šŸ¤£ at a very reputable SoCal shop. So I am not sure where he is getting his numbersā€¦. ā€œerr sir put down the crack pipeā€šŸ¤£.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I agree Dave. My install plus other parts came to $3,300 which included labour, so $4,000 quoted is way off!