Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FiST ergonomics issues

Ok so I am closing in on a month with a new FiST and I love driving it. I was however spoiled by driving a miata before this and the ergonomics on this thing are not really that great. A month in and I still can't find a driving position that works for me. First of all the lower back support on the Recaro seats is really bad and hurt my back after 30 minutes. I tossed in an inflatable lumbar pillow that I had and that fixed the seat for the most part exept the extra pressure on my thighs.

the real issue is the pedals and the reach to the shifter. I see they sell a block to change the position of the throttle but honestly I think its the brake pedal that needs to move back further to where the throttle is. If I adjust my seat to reach the shifter just right then the toe of my shoe hits the bar on the brake pedal and it feels awkward. I am too close to the brake petal and I struggle to get my footwork right. If I pull the seat back to where I can use the pedals correctly then I can barely reach the shifter at all. I'm talking finger tips to shift it. Also the up down adjust on the seat is not right and I want the bottom to be tilted back more but it just tilts more forward as I raise the seat. I can't find the perfect position for me and its distracting when I am really getting after it. I think that maybe the accelerator block mod and a shifter that canted back may do it but I sure as hell am not going to pay 300 dollars on that stuff.

any ideas? I am 67" and 175 lbs so my arms are not long enough to pull the seat back to where the petals work for me and still reach the shifter without leaning forward. If I can get this sorted out it will really improve my enjoyment of the car. I really don't know what ford was thinking when they set all this up. they did such wonders with the engine and chassis why could they not get this right?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Well the Gas pedal spacer from no-pistons has gotten good reviews and maybe a Deadhook racing shifter extenion with a angle would help. and the boomba or others short shift kit will reduce the throw and help with the shifter movment.
Then with the gas pedal closer and the longer angled shifter with short shift kit to take up the added lever effect on the throw it could be dialed in to fit your diving position and style..
not the best idea but it is a start..
I agree on the recaro lack of a lumbar support just shake my head at that cost cutting feature..

OP
MegaBuster
Thread Starter #3
in a last ditch effort I pumped the seat all they way up. I'll try it like this for a few days. I had it all the way down before since that's where I am used to having my car seat. We will see if it works out in this driving position.

I like the seating position in mine with the cloth seat and I'm pretty close in size to you at 5'8" - 180lbs. Don't really know how I could help you though.... lol

+1 endorsement for the no-pistons pedal spacer and deadhook shifter extension. It will cost you a heck of lot less than $300.

rexdriver85

The shifter extension seems like a must, I need to get my hands on one, shifting into 6th requires adjustment for me personally. I'm smaller than you though 5'9 160lbs. The armrest in relation to the shifter really is a bad design in this vehicle unfortunately. My opinion though.

I don't heel toe yet, but I rev match on the downshift, always have. No problems with that.

Good luck to you!

OP
MegaBuster
Thread Starter #7
tell me more about the Shifter Extension. anyone have experience with it?

OP
MegaBuster
Thread Starter #9
dose it come with a knob? can you use the factory one?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Yes you can use the factory knob and no knob that I am aware of that comes with it . But you may want to ask Russ at DHM here on these forums to be sure..

DHM1

1000 Post Club
dose it come with a knob? can you use the factory one?
I can send it with a Delrin Knob if you want. Pm me if you have any questions! Myself along with people on the forum hated this same thing about the car. So I made this shifter extension I have shit back so I have to sit in a weird position to not be in pain after a long ride well I couldn't reach the shift so boom shift extension!

Russ

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Surprisingly, No-Pistons 3/8" pedal spacer made all the difference for me...

Pedal Spacer Installed Closeup.jpg

And I'm actually quite pleased with the cabin ergonomics and I'm even using a lower shift knob which feels great for me...

LW Shift Knob.jpg

different strokes I suppose...

There's nothing about those pieces that you couldn't make yourself with a quick run to your local hardware store and a couple hours of free time. sure the aftermarket ones are really nice looking, but how often are you admiring someone's pedal spacer?

If your concerned about cost that is, and have a couple tools handy. otherwise, to the Deadhook!

For me, I find the shifter just about 1/2" too far forward and I also may look into some sort of pedal spacer eventually. my bigger issue though is the length of pedal travel for the clutch. I'd take increased effort if it didn't require such a long push.

But I'm not going through the effort to fix that on a brand new car.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
There's nothing about those pieces that you couldn't make yourself with a quick run to your local hardware store and a couple hours of free time. sure the aftermarket ones are really nice looking, but how often are you admiring someone's pedal spacer?
I think No-Piston's Pedal spacer was a relatively inexpensive purchase and not worth the bother to do myself when someone already did it for me...And took me 5 min to install ;)

For anyone interested in purchasing the spacer just PM no-pistons to purchase...

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...-pedal-lift-spacer-Improve-heel-toe-technique

I'm not bashing anyone who buys aftermarket, I've bought plenty, but people sometimes don't even consider they could make the parts themselves with just a couple tools and a basic hardware store.

[twothumb]

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I'm not bashing anyone who buys aftermarket, I've bought plenty, but people sometimes don't even consider they could make the parts themselves with just a couple tools and a basic hardware store.

[twothumb]
I hear ya...I didn't think you were....I was just giving another perspective...

Personally, for the time spent traveling to the store to get the material and then going though the effort of measuring, cutting out a plate, and drilling a few holes that in this particular instance it was much more practical and cost effective (my time is money too) to just purchase a completed spacer plate which was relatively inexpensive...

OP
MegaBuster
Thread Starter #17
if I set my seat up all the way or forward enough I can reach the shifter but my feet feel cramped. I can't reach the shifter unless I cramp my leggs

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
if I set my seat up all the way or forward enough I can reach the shifter but my feet feel cramped. I can't reach the shifter unless I cramp my leggs
seriously try a pedal lift spacer.

not even kidding.

I'm not sure if the shifter extension will help me at all but fuck it why not

OP
MegaBuster
Thread Starter #19
I promised myself that i would not mod the car until i sold my old car. There might be room for an exeption for these pieces though

Reviving an old thread.

I just bought my ST a month ago and love it!!! However I can't get comfortable in the recaros. I'm short at 5'8" and struggle with the pedal placement. I'm not sure if im imagining but I feel the seat bottom is angled upwards at the front too much. When I get close enough to fully depress the clutch comfortably I feel the steering wheel is too close and my wrists get tired.

Is there anyway of lowering just the front of the seat and leaving rear portion alone?

TIA