Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FiST Rollover Risk?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Are you on stock suspension? Im tempted but i feel like i should upgrade the setup before putting braces on due to the fact that they would have to come off when i put in new dampers and springs. Secondly, id be afraid it would cause even more wear on the stock suspension. GUYS WITH SUSPENSION EXPERIENCE, chime in and correct me if im wrong!
It makes no difference what you start with as suspension and bracing do two entirely different things.
Bracing does aid suspension and they work fantastic together.

With the MODs I have done.
The car runs like it is on rails and will not tripod.
I can go deeper, harder, and faster in the turns.
Yes, I can force it to break loose but I still feel like I am more in control.

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I've been trying... still upright... So far.

My dad always said "Any job worth doing is worth doing right".

Keep trying, you'll get it. LOL

Dave

It makes no difference what you start with as suspension and bracing do two entirely different things.
Bracing does aid suspension and they work fantastic together.

With the MODs I have done.
The car runs like it is on rails and will not tripod.
I can go deeper, harder, and faster in the turns.
Yes, I can force it to break loose but I still feel like I am more in control.

Dave
Thanks Dave. That puts me at ease a bit. Still dont wanna have to deal with having to remove braces to mod suspension but thats me being lazy. The GTI i played with this morning kinda made me start thinking about it again. Pushed hard thru some sweepers and found some limits. Was not happy so it may be time to move forward with more mods.

Thanks Dave. That puts me at ease a bit. Still dont wanna have to deal with having to remove braces to mod suspension but thats me being lazy. The GTI i played with this morning kinda made me start thinking about it again. Pushed hard thru some sweepers and found some limits. Was not happy so it may be time to move forward with more mods.
As I recall, none of TB's braces I've installed would interfere with a spring/damper install. Completely separate.

I got my coilovers and braces all at the same time...Car feels really planted and idk if its ever been on 3 wheels but I haven't raced it yet.

Three wheeling isn't uncommon for FF cars on an autocross course.

Two wheeling is a concern. Here is the only documented case I've run across so far of a Fist two wheeling.
[video]https://youtu.be/Ju37Kt94dkE?t=17s[/video]

Thanks to more Meds, mine is more stiff then ever before.
It corners faster and harder with no flex at all.
I have taken friends for a ride and literally scared the hell out of them.

Dave
Same here, after +500 ish of HARD track miles, my car has never felt the least bit unstable. Taking turns going 60-80mph on the brink of traction has never given me the feeling of "oh shit, I'm gonna flip"

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
In that it was full off. Ran another event there last weekend and ran fastest time just in sport. My car needs real diff on that track :(

This damn article is making the rounds as if there is some sort of conspiracy going on. The way it is written with conviction as if this is the truth is such a bunch of BS.

Look at this exurb:

There?s talk that the smaller diameter of the FiST?s front sway bar (it?s actually smaller than the regular Fiesta?s) might be the culprit ? any serious national-level autocrosser will replace it nearly immediately.
Really? The ST' guys put in a smaller bar intentionally to change the characteristics of the car. Any "Serious National-Level Competitor" isn't just going to stuff in a stiffer bar without making changes to offset that somewhere else. Honestly the way this is written annoys me.

Here is that rumor again... an unconfirmed conspiracy of something that is being covered up:

Rumor has it that the Texas incident occurred in a 40 mph sharp turn with a novice driver who had replaced his stock Bridgestone tires with the new RE71R, a tire that pulls more lateral Gs than the racing tires of yore.
Funny, I run RE71R's on my car... and I have hit a 90 degree sweeper at 60mph with zero issues. Even on airport grade concrete which is far gripper than parking lots, those tires will slide if I push it too hard. For instance I looped it when I pushed it too hard with these tires on a this runway:

[video=youtube;YKt7jkHrGbE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKt7jkHrGbE[/video]

If there were ST's rolling at every event, then yah... the guy has merit. However there are hundreds of these events happening with ST's at every one running with no issues.