Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Flat Towing Fiesta ST

I set up my Fiesta ST for flat towing. I have a Class C RV and I wanted the Fiesta to be my tow car for excursions when we are camping. I used the Ready Brute System...it include a diode set-up for the turn signals, brake lights, a surge brake for braking and a baseplate for the car and the towbar itself. I am pretty happy with the result. It allows me to have my car with me while camping without having to deal with a dolly or a trailer.

In the photo, the car is hooked up to my Raptor...I used that to test it. The car does not have a steering wheel lock so i just leave the ignition off and tote it around. it just needs to be out of gear and it rolls along like a little wagon.

Attachments

OP
Stetson
Thread Starter #3
Interesting setup! Does it all attach to the front crash bar?
I attached two more photos 'in-progress'. The baseplate is just above the crashbar and receives the clevis for the towbar and has large eyelets for the safety cables. It actually bolts to the side of the subframe, just behind the crashbar and in front of the washer fluid bottle on the drivers side and in front of the accumulator for the air conditioner on the passenger side. It bolts to the subdrame using 4 bolts on each side. The white mark is some white paint i used to mark its location so i could make sure it was lined up and level when i started drilling.

The second picture shows the tow bar attached without the nose reinstalled. you can see how it attaches to the baseplate in this picture. Its a really solid installation. The wiring that is looped over is for the rear lights so when i hit the brakes the brake lights come on.

i also installed a mountune intercooler at the same time. i mean...the nose was off, why not right?

Stetson

Attachments

tlarkin4746

U.S. Army Veteran
Interested in flat tow setup.
Have you had any problems flat towing st?
I’m hearing st’s can’t be flat towed??

I've done the same thing on my 2017 Fiesta ST and have NO problems flat towing. I installed the Roadmaster pull bar on mine. Using a RVi brake 2 system that applies the brakes with inertia and it turns on the brake lights. Love it!

OP
Stetson
Thread Starter #6
I have not had any issues and I have towed about 5,000 miles or so with the set up. I use the ready-brute surge tow bar with a cable that goes back to the brake pedal. Super simple set-up that works really well.

Stetson

tlarkin

U.S. Army Veteran
I appreciate information from Stetson and MartyR on this subject.
Most information I have been given has been negative.
What transmission is in your STs?

I have not had any issues and I have towed about 5,000 miles or so with the set up. I use the ready-brute surge tow bar with a cable that goes back to the brake pedal. Super simple set-up that works really well.

Stetson
What braking system works with the FiST? Did you have trouble routing the cable?

OP
Stetson
Thread Starter #11
What braking system works with the FiST? Did you have trouble routing the cable?
The brake is a cable which attaches to the brake pedal and then routes through the engine bay to a spot on the front grill.

the cable then attaches to the surge brake on the tow bar, when you apply the brakes on the tow vehicle, the cable pulls the brake pedal forward which applies the brake in the fiesta.

the routing is easy, the kit comes with a sleeve the brake cable routes through. You do have to drill a hole in the firewall behind the brake pedal for the cable to pass through.

pretty easy and effective