Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Focus headrest swap for Fiesta with Recaros (vid)

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Yeah I saw those and think they are correct. It looks like someone put a cigarette out on the back of the headrest though..

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Yeah I saw those and think they are correct. It looks like someone put a cigarette out on the back of the headrest though..
Only if these people knew to take a picture of the underside.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

My base ST seats have adjustability in two directions (up/down, fore/aft), I’d assume that those would be both cheaper and easier to find if they have the same stud spacing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got a 2017 with Recaros. Maybe its just because I'm older, and my head isn't permanently tilted forward from looking at my phone all the time :) but I had to do something about the headrests pushing my head forward. I considered the Focus swap, but thought I'd try to modify the Recaro headrests first. If I messed them up, I could still do the swap.

I understand I'm dealing with a safety feature, but the headrest tubing is very strong. I put the driver's headrest in my vice, gripping just one rod, dropping it until the bottom of the headrest rested on the top of the vise jaws. I squared it up in all directions and tried various ways to bend it and could not. Finally, I slid a pipe all the way up onto the rod that was sticking out of the bottom of the vice jaws. I gently and gradually pulled the pipe back until I could feel the rod bend just a little, did the same thing to the other rod to match them up, and then tried the headrest for fit.

I went through this process several times until the angle felt right...and then, of course, I did one more adjustment and went a little too far. See in-car photo of modified driver headrest and stock passenger headrest. Rather than bend the rods back a little, I figured I would use this headrest when I'm wearing a helmet. Then I adjusted the other headrest just right for no helmet. See second photo with helmet headrest on the left and no-helmet headrest on the right. Because I worked on the driver headrest first, and that ended up being my helmet headrest, I switched the passenger and driver headrests for daily/no-helmet driving. The indentations don't click into place exactly right, but they're solid once in.

Upsides: Everything looks stock. The headrests fit great now: one for daily driving and another for wearing a helmet. No more tilting my head forward.
No more constantly bouncing my head off the headrest. I can sit fully back in the seat to take advantage of the shoulder bolstering.

Potential down-sides: There's now a "kink" in the rods, but no one's going to notice it and there's no way to avoid that when bending them cold, in a vise. I guess there's a question of whether I've weakened the headrest. Maybe, but even on the final bends, I still needed a lot of torque on a two-foot-long pipe to bend them. Also, I think that because my head is almost touching the headrest, if I'm hit from behind, my head won't travel enough to accelerate enough to make a difference. The passenger/helmet headrest sits a little farther back, but it's still only a matter of an extra inch or two. I'm keeping the passenger seat back tilted slightly more forward to compensate for that.

Overall, I'm happy. And isn't that what really matters? :)

Attachments

I just picked up some 2012 leather adjustable Focus head rests for my Recaros.

This is another one of those small mods that I should have done long ago.

Thanks to Jeff for getting the info out on these.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27
Glad to help...this is a great mod indeed. I'm driving my car full-time now rather than once a week with the sale coming up. The headrest mod is one of the things I've noticed as a standout improvement now that I'm in it every day.