Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

Focus mk2 2010 rs gearbox oil leak

MKIIIRS

Staff Member
Looks like its leaking from the CV joint, which is the black rubber piece. It's easier if you replace the entire axle.

OP
lukefergusonc2
Thread Starter #5
Sorry I don't now much about this why would u change the drive shaft is that what you mean when it it's the seal around the spine ?? Another thing I have noticed since this has started is when I slightly turn the steering wheel left whilst driving it making a groan/vibration noise any ideas I thought wheel bearing but not to sure Thanks for the help mate [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
lukefergusonc2
Thread Starter #7
I thought in the boot it ha grease not oil ?
Thanks everyone for the help hope to get it sorted because it's doing my heading!!!

LonestarRS

The grease becomes oil when it touches the hot engine. If it was leaking you'll have a puddle of oil where you park.

MKIIIRS

Staff Member
Most people just swap out the entire CV axle since it's not much more expensive than rebuilding it. Normally when the CV boots goes bad, the axle has been worn down enough that its best to rebuild or replace the entire thing.

There's a left and right CV axle (half shaft) that drives the front wheels. You can replace one side or both depending on your budget. The clicking noise that you are hearing is very typical of the CV joint going bad due to contamination or lost of grease.

Sorry I don't now much about this why would u change the drive shaft is that what you mean when it it's the seal around the spine ?? Another thing I have noticed since this has started is when I slightly turn the steering wheel left whilst driving it making a groan/vibration noise any ideas I thought wheel bearing but not to sure Thanks for the help mate [emoji1360]

OP
lukefergusonc2
Thread Starter #10
Cars under AA Gold extended warranty so I'll call them see if they will sort it out that's if they don't call it wear and tear like most warranty company's do I don't think there was any splits in the boot mind but when your sitting in passanger seat you can feel slight vibration in the foot well ?

OP
lukefergusonc2
Thread Starter #13
Hello guys fixed the leak it was the driveshaft oil seal leaking just got a hummin/vibration noise while driving and turning the steering wheel slightly left

OP
lukefergusonc2
Thread Starter #15
Just the seal on the gearbox checked shaft can't see any boot leaks or hear no clicking any other way of checking?

OP
lukefergusonc2
Thread Starter #17
It's all dry sounds like a wheel bearing But the sound don't go whilst taking weight off either wheels [emoji848]