Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Focus st 1.6 182 bhp (fiesta st engine) issue

David123

Hi guys I am new on here thank you .
Have a 2012 ford focus zetec s with the 182 bhp fiesta st engine.

When I start the car cold it ticks rattles really badly like a hydraulic tappet sound but goes away after maybe 2-3 miniutes then is perfect after that once it is warm have been told the oil is to tick and can't flow quick enough at cold temperatures .

Has anybody else had this issue it would be great for some feedback thanks a lot .

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Welcome!
The FiST engine is noisy. The ticking is normal.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
How many miles/km on the engine?

Which weight/type oil are you using? (It does not get super hot there, ever, correct?)

It could be that the HPFP tappet 'puck' is worn a bit, or is just not getting enough oil at startup.

OP
D

David123

Thread Starter #5

Which weight/type oil are you using? (It does not get super hot there, ever, correct?)

It could be that the HPFP tappet 'puck' is worn a bit, or is just not getting enough oil at startup.

Hi guys I am been told it's the oil isn't getting up quick enough at cold temperatures .
I am going to try an oil and filter but making sure oil is correct spec .

What oil are yous using much appreciated
Many thanks

OP
D

David123

Thread Starter #6

Hi mate thanks for reply I'm not sure as was told was only serviced so im going to service it anyway so I'm trying to find the right il type hopefully solves it 😎

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hi guys I am been told it's the oil isn't getting up quick enough at cold temperatures .

Many thanks
Any good synthetic will do. The engine is direct injection, and the injectors are noisy. I imagine that's what you're hearing. Is the engine cover missing? That will make that noise more noticeable. I doubt there's a problem with oil circulation. Oil is circulating in the upper engine in just seconds after you start it.

Go ahead and change the oil, and if you still hear the ticking, don't worry about it. If it's running well, just drive it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

Many thanks
I'm using Ravenol DXG 5W-30, but any good FULL synthetic which meets/beats the specs will be fine, just don't use anything way too viscous for your given climate.
(Like NO 5W-40s or heavier, unless you are beating the piss out of it on road courses, or tarmac rallies or such.)

I really like the Millers products, but they don't make anything in their better CFS NT+ Racing line we could use by spec, although their new(er) XF Longlife LSPI 5W-30 is one I might want to try in the future IF our importer will bring it stateside. [wink]

OP
D

David123

Thread Starter #11
Just an update people oil changed with correct oil and still the same .
I am thinking carbon build up or injector knock but not 100 percent sure 🤔

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Welcome! Very interesting a FiST engine in a Focus. Never would have thought of that one. lol Around here all the Focuses came with 2 liters.
They put that engine in cars as big as the Mondeo in Europe.

Last edited:

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's fine. The noise is from the injectors. Just drive it.

As mentioned, the mechanical fuel pump on these engines is very loud. It's a normal feature of direct injected motors, especially if you have the cover removed (all that sound deadening material is there for a reason). I'm not convinced this is actually an issue. Did the noise just start up recently?

Re: other uses of this engine: if you want to find a real unicorn in the US, try finding a Fusion with the six speed manual and the 1.6 Ecoboost.

I just did an oil change, I use the factory Ford oil from the factory that Ford uses on there factory engine. Did you get that? Just use what Ford uses. They designed it. It works.