Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Admin1

Staff Member
Ford Trigger TPMS activation tool:

1. Make sure all tires are inflated to the vehicle specifications.
2. Make sure ignition button is OFF, then press and release the brake pedal.
3. Hold the ignition button down for 2 seconds, release it, and then tap the ignition button once. The vehicle should be OFF. Hold the ignition button down for another two seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.
4. Hold the ignition button down for two seconds again. The vehicle should be in RUN mode, engine off.
5. Press and release the brake pedal.
6. Tap the ignition button once, so the vehicle is OFF.
7. Hold the ignition button down for 2 seconds, release it, and then tap the button once. The vehicle should be OFF. Hold the ignition button down for another two seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.
8. Hold the ignition button down for two seconds again. The vehicle should be in RUN mode, engine off.
9. The horn should sound letting you know the vehicle has entered into TPMS relearn mode.
10. Place the top of the FORDTRIGGER tool on the sidewall of the driver's side front tire in the location of the valve stem.
11. Press the button of the FORDTRIGGER tool. The vehicle's horn will sound letting you know the sensor has been learned.
12. Once the horn sounds, move on to the passenger side front tire and repeat the process. Each tire should only take 30 seconds or less.
13. After the passenger side front tire has been learned, continue on to the passenger side rear tire and finishing with the driver's side rear tire. You will move in a clockwise direction around the vehicle as you activate the TPMS sensors.
14. You may now turn the ignition to OFF. If the horn does not sound, the sensors were learned successfully. Congratulations! If the horn sounds twice, then the process must be repeated, because there was a malfunction.

[video=youtube;XkJ5OxOmojM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkJ5OxOmojM[/video]

OP
Admin1

Admin1

Staff Member
Thread Starter #2
[video=youtube;niteshTnX-U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niteshTnX-U[/video]

Thanks, looking into winter tire/wheel set up now. Good to know this is something I can do.

worked perfectly...thank you for posting!
** Edit, finally got mine to work -- I think it just needed time **

I'm having difficulty getting the car into activation mode where the horn honks to signal that you should start to trigger the first wheel. I have a 2016 ST with Sync 3. I'm wondering ...

1. Do you need to have the clutch in so that the car starts or do you leave the clutch out? I'm getting a warning message on the head unit to engage the clutch to start the car during the process of hitting the start button, and I'm prompted to clear the warning. So do I just ignore these warnings?

2. Does the TPMS warning light have to be on? Mine comes on and off, so it's gonna be frustrating waiting for just the right moment.

3. Has anyone with Sync 3 used this procedure?

Many thanks!

Wythe

Not sure if I'm asking this in the right place but i just had new wheels and ties installed and didn't have the TPMS installed. I have about 200 miles on them now and no TPMS light has come ON? I kinda like that its not on but I'm worried that its not working like it should and that it should have come on. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this also?

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Not sure if I'm asking this in the right place but i just had new wheels and ties installed and didn't have the TPMS installed. I have about 200 miles on them now and no TPMS light has come ON? I kinda like that its not on but I'm worried that its not working like it should and that it should have come on. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this also?
Once you drive it long enough it will come on. If you are taking just short trips it won't trigger the tpms light.

So I assume the ford trigger tool is something people can purchase online I did copy and past the name and did find tools that worked similar just don't want to buy it if it wont work. I don't see anything that shows it works on a 2016?

So I assume the ford trigger tool is something people can purchase online I did copy and past the name and did find tools that worked similar just don't want to buy it if it wont work. I don't see anything that shows it works on a 2016?
I just bought one from Amazon last month works like a charm

I just bought one from Amazon last month works like a charm
I looked on amazon and it says wont work on 2016 but if it worked for you and you have a 2016 I'm going to get one because of the winter summer wheel swaps and I do not want to look at a tire light. Where did you get 4 more sensors from? ford or aftermarket?

haste

1000 Post Club
The directions in the first post can be modified.

There is absolutely no need to hold the ignition button for 2 seconds, just push it on and off.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I looked on amazon and it says wont work on 2016 but if it worked for you and you have a 2016 I'm going to get one because of the winter summer wheel swaps and I do not want to look at a tire light. Where did you get 4 more sensors from? ford or aftermarket?
It will/does. Amazon doesn't update model years often. You can check rockauto.com or even chat with your dealer.

TUX15ST

hey guys, i just got my new rims on tonight and had 4 new oem motorcraft tpms sensors in them, I tried to program them with this tool using the hazard button method (pressing the hazard button 6 times and then the horn beeps and the tpms lights blinks) anyway i held the programming tool near the tpms in each wheel and couldnt get the car to beep saying programming was sucessful. However in my 15 min ride home no TPMS light ever came on, is it possible that it still worked? or does it take more time for the light to come on? does the need to be on before programming?

hey guys, i just got my new rims on tonight and had 4 new oem motorcraft tpms sensors in them, I tried to program them with this tool using the hazard button method (pressing the hazard button 6 times and then the horn beeps and the tpms lights blinks) anyway i held the programming tool near the tpms in each wheel and couldnt get the car to beep saying programming was sucessful. However in my 15 min ride home no TPMS light ever came on, is it possible that it still worked? or does it take more time for the light to come on? does the need to be on before programming?
Don't bother with the hazard button -- that's not the method you need. You need to follow the instructions at the top of page 1 of this thread. I'm guessing that your training did not work. It actually takes 20-25 mins of driving before the tpms light comes on. I went through hell trying to get mine trained -- even took it to the dealer who couldn't get it to work.

If you follow the directions on page 1 the car should honk at you signaling that you correctly followed the initiation sequence and training is ready to begin on the first wheel. If you never hear a honk, then the problem is in the initiation sequence (start button/brake pedal sequence). The initiation sequence is very complicated and if you do any of it out of order, it won't work. If this happens, best to wait a week or so and let the system reset. Mine finally worked after about 20 attempts over 2-3 weeks -- very frustrating.

Good luck and be patient.

Wythe

TUX15ST

Don't bother with the hazard button -- that's not the method you need. You need to follow the instructions at the top of page 1 of this thread. I'm guessing that your training did not work. It actually takes 20-25 mins of driving before the tpms light comes on. I went through hell trying to get mine trained -- even took it to the dealer who couldn't get it to work.

If you follow the directions on page 1 the car should honk at you signaling that you correctly followed the initiation sequence and training is ready to begin on the first wheel. If you never hear a honk, then the problem is in the initiation sequence (start button/brake pedal sequence). The initiation sequence is very complicated and if you do any of it out of order, it won't work. If this happens, best to wait a week or so and let the system reset. Mine finally worked after about 20 attempts over 2-3 weeks -- very frustrating.

Good luck and be patient.

Wythe
well with the hazard button method my car did honk at me as well as having the tpms flash, this is not the correct way even though it seems the same? the only time it is honking is when its it goes into training mode after the 6th time pressing the button, never honks when i have the tool near the tpms in the wheels

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
well with the hazard button method my car did honk at me as well as having the tpms flash, this is not the correct way even though it seems the same? the only time it is honking is when its it goes into training mode after the 6th time pressing the button, never honks when i have the tool near the tpms in the wheels
My theory is the hazzard button works for previously enrolled TPMS sensors. New one needs the other method. That said you need 20-30 minutes. So see if in the next day or so it remains off. This would prove it worked. Good luck.

TUX15ST

Ok thanks guys, im up to about 25 miles now and still no light, i am almost hoping it comes on so i can know it worked for sure lol

It's also possible that there's a different method with different model years and depending on whether you have the navigation or not. I have a '16 with nav, and prompts come up on the screen after each wheel sensor is trained.