Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford is in trouble!

mandella

Active Military
It’s not that difficult build quality cars at a fair price and don’t let dealers over charge. The whole thing has turned me off from buying new cars like I did in the past.

Cneu

Premium Account
It’s not that difficult build quality cars at a fair price and don’t let dealers over charge. The whole thing has turned me off from buying new cars like I did in the past.
In the US it actually can be difficult to keep dealers from over charging. The US has really really stupid laws in this regard.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I would rather the current "stupid" laws that allow a dealer to deal on prices not forced fixed prices. Most of us stole our FiST's because of these pricing laws. A dealer is an independent company NOT controlled by fixed prices forced from the car maker in the USA. I would rather fight for my price than a take it or leave it price, LOL!

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I would rather the current "stupid" laws that allow a dealer to deal on prices not forced fixed prices. Most of us stole our FiST's because of these pricing laws. A dealer is an independent company NOT controlled by fixed prices forced from the car maker in the USA. I would rather fight for my price than a take it or leave it price, LOL!
Yeah there’s no way we should legislate prices in a free market economy. The best way to get what you want is to factory order a car with the options you want. The dealership will almost never mark it up in these instances. Used cars are a crap shoot. What the market says it’s worth is what it’s worth, regardless of MSRP, KBB, etc.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ya Pretty much . People do not learn how to make a deal before visiting a dealer. People let their hearts control the deal rather than divorcing themselves from any emotional attachment to the vehicle they want to buy.
Yeah there’s no way we should legislate prices in a free market economy. The best way to get what you want is to factory order a car with the options you want. The dealership will almost never mark it up in these instances. Used cars are a crap shoot. What the market says it’s worth is what it’s worth, regardless of MSRP, KBB, etc.
I did that with my FiST and managed to put together 5k in incentives to buy my car below invoice. My Dealer was already selling me my FiST at invoice with a few incentives . I found more and incentives got better while I waited for my order to be built and shipped. With Ford this actually works as Ford does custom orders. My window sticker even says Special Order! I pretty much did steal my car and my Fleet manager ( ya I bought from the Fleet Manager not a salesman) said he had never seen that many incentives put together😂
Toyota does not do special orders you can choose what you want out of what they have and depending on the dealer you may get that you may not . Used to be Toyota had so many cars on the lot you would always find something you want . It’s starting to be that with the regular models. Though custom or special models they are manufacturing in much lower numbers and controlling prices through supply vs demand.
Can’t blame them just like I can’t blame them for thei recent small invoice price increase. Yen is trading so cheap to the dollar they are losing tons on the exchange rate. Even with that one can currently get Core GR Corollas at MSRP or below some even at invoice and Premiums at MSRP. If I was not so sold on the Heavy Metal color and the Circuit interior on the Premium I could have a Core with Performance pack in my garage for 38k right now.

Last edited:

Cneu

Premium Account
The laws in some areas require OEMs to operate thru dealerships. It's the opposite of a free market. Dealerships lobbied hard to legislate their existence. During the pandemic a lot of dealerships participated in price fixing, many still are, and the laws in some areas make it difficult to do anything about it.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
A car dealer like a grocery, drug store or auto parts store are free to charge what they want. Not sure what you mean by "price fixing". It typically mean an agreement with another car dealer for example to charge the same prices. It has nothing to do with gouging or charging a premium for some cars. All dealers do it in some way like over charging for a popular model calling it "market price" LOL! Or nitrogen in the tires, paint coatings, fabric protection, gap insurance and extended warranties.........blah blah blah ad nauseum! All legal. The window sticker says "suggested price".

Cneu

Premium Account
A car dealer like a grocery, drug store or auto parts store are free to charge what they want. Not sure what you mean by "price fixing". It typically mean an agreement with another car dealer for example to charge the same prices. It has nothing to do with gouging or charging a premium for some cars. All dealers do it in some way like over charging for a popular model calling it "market price" LOL! Or nitrogen in the tires, paint coatings, fabric protection, gap insurance and extended warranties.........blah blah blah ad nauseum! All legal. The window sticker says "suggested price".

The majority of US states ban direct car sales from OEMs to consumers. This is what I'm talking about. Dealerships helped write laws that mandate their existence in this country. This has resulted in them repeatedly price fixing, which is legal because of their lobbying, and as a result consumers often pay more for cars than they need to. Over the last few years multiple OEMs have started terminating their dealership agreements because of this. Ford made headlines cuz of it.

This isn't my opinion, it's pretty easy to google. This is a well known issue that multiple states have changed their laws on. Many more are in the process of repealing these laws because they hurt consumers. This isn't a free market, it's literally the opposite. lol. Tesla made a huge stink about this back in the day and still has to work through loopholes in a bunch of states. The dealership requirements hurt small car manufacturers which again hurts consumers.

And no, grocery stores are not allowed to charge "whatever they want". There are price fixing laws. Grocery stores were investigated repeatedly during the pandemic for price fixing. lol

Last edited: