Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford MyTouch to Sync3 With CarPlay Upgrade

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
So my APIM has been diagnosed as being bad in my '14. It does this great thing where it stops responding to inputs and then doesn't want to turn itself off after the car has been shut off which eventually drains the battery. Took 9 months to get it the dealership to diagnose the issue. As they want $600 dollars just to put in a new module with the old system I'm thinking to switch to Sync 3 and save some money. My question is:
- If I just want Sync 3 and am not planning to buy the new USB hub, do I need to do any wiring or is it plug and play?
Just gotta figure out if I'm looking at the right thing on car-part
There are answers to your question on this forum. If you using AA, the old module will work, but may throw out an error. If you want CarPlay, you'll need a new module, which will require rewiring. [MENTION=1015]shouldbeasy[/MENTION] has an excellent write up on how to.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

koozy

3000 Post Club
So my APIM has been diagnosed as being bad in my '14. It does this great thing where it stops responding to inputs and then doesn't want to turn itself off after the car has been shut off which eventually drains the battery. Took 9 months to get it the dealership to diagnose the issue. As they want $600 dollars just to put in a new module with the old system I'm thinking to switch to Sync 3 and save some money. My question is:
- If I just want Sync 3 and am not planning to buy the new USB hub, do I need to do any wiring or is it plug and play?
Just gotta figure out if I'm looking at the right thing on car-part
Your 2014 may be covered. It’s a known issue with Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your 2014 may be covered. It’s a known issue with Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The dealer checked already, it's aged out :/ lost it's coverage for that in June/July of last year.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

koozy

3000 Post Club
The dealer checked already, it's aged out :/ lost it's coverage for that in June/July of last year.

Bummer, but perfect opportunity to upgrade to Sync 3. There's a whole thread on converting to it here on the forum that should answer your questions.

Bummer, but perfect opportunity to upgrade to Sync 3. There's a whole thread on converting to it here on the forum that should answer your questions.
Yeah, I read through this one a while ago. Though, chatting with my dealer and he's saying it's the ACM that's bad and not the APIM (I may have misheard when he called the first time). I'm not sure how that changes things here. Not sure where/what the ACM is.

Edit: okay, yeah the ACM is a different thing that sits behind the console itself. So I'll have to figure that out (may still go for the sync 3 upgrade if the total is less than the 600 the dealer quoted).

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Yeah, I read through this one a while ago. Though, chatting with my dealer and he's saying it's the ACM that's bad and not the APIM (I may have misheard when he called the first time). I'm not sure how that changes things here. Not sure where/what the ACM is.

Edit: okay, yeah the ACM is a different thing that sits behind the console itself. So I'll have to figure that out (may still go for the sync 3 upgrade if the total is less than the 600 the dealer quoted).

It’d be rather surprising if the dealer is quoting this for upgrading the screen, the APIM, and the usb module. That’s close to DIY price using donor car parts. Well worth it. The only other add on would be the rear view camera.

It’d be rather surprising if the dealer is quoting this for upgrading the screen, the APIM, and the usb module. That’s close to DIY price using donor car parts. Well worth it. The only other add on would be the rear view camera.
Oh, no. The dealer price was only for replacing the ACM.

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #188

You're in for around $150 for the Touchscreen and 'computer' behind it from a wrecker - the ST's have 'sport mode' available with the traction control button where as I found the standard Fiesta made my traction control a one touch completely off button.

Good luck with the fix!

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
You're in for around $150 for the Touchscreen and 'computer' behind it from a wrecker - the ST's have 'sport mode' available with the traction control button where as I found the standard Fiesta made my traction control a one touch completely off button.

Good luck with the fix!
$150 for the touchscreen and the APIM? Unless these are "friends" prices - I haven't been able to find a combo like this for less than $320, NAV or non-NAV. Lots of junkyard dealers also wouldn't ship.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

STeeRS

Thanks so much to the OP for posting this. I’m about 95% through getting my ’14 upgraded to SYNC3 with Nav. Some notes I made throughout the process:
  1. I bought my touchscreen + APIM from eBay. I had the best luck with auctions having titles similar to “Info-GPS-TV Screen Display 6.5" Touch Screen Fits 14-17 FIESTA”
  2. Definitely look for Year: 2016 or more recent and a VIN in “Item specifics” on each auction page
  3. If the year is suitable and you want to see if the unit has Nav, add a car with the listed VIN to your account on owner.ford.com. If the previous owner hasn’t upgraded the SYNC software, an update will appear. Download it and check the first line of “autoinstall.lst” inside the ZIP archive for whether it is a Nav-enabled unit. Of course, I did all that the first time I bought a unit from a wrecked ’16 Fiesta, but then the seller sent me a unit from a ’15 Fiesta. Second time was the charm, got the right one (SYNC 3 with Nav) from a ’17 Fiesta for under $120 from a different seller.
  4. I watched the Auto Repair Guys video on removing the center console:
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCe_GJLI0rE
    before starting. The process is very similar to that for the Focus RS, which I had already gone through when I installed the Euro cup holder in my RS. They also have one for removing the APIM:
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehutlGZ-U-4
    I wanted to remove the center console to more easily solder the correct wires to a floppy drive power adapter (thanks to evance0704 for that tip, worked flawlessly!) and install a volume control knob for my JL Audio Cleansweep in the panel next to the 12V receptacle near the shifter. I soldered the red cable on my floppy connector to the gray cable on the USB bundle and the yellow cable on the floppy connector to the red cable on the USB bundle.
  5. I used a cheap set of nylon tools from Harbor Fraught to pry off the nylon panels. Worth every penny: https://www.harborfreight.com/Nylon-Pry-Bar-Installer-Kit-4-Pc-63594.html
  6. While removing the climate control panel, at least one of the little white plastic clips on the back of the panel fell down inside the black plastic that is part of the dash near the heater core. Took the better part of an hour with an inspection camera to get it out.
  7. From eBay I bought HC3Z-19A387-B, the USB hub with blue lights to enable CarPlay. Works great. My Fiesta is green so I may color over those with yellow at some point.
  8. My ’14’s old unit was Nav-enabled but I didn’t realize I needed another GPS receiver for the newer unit. I bought ASIN B07R6NL5G6 for $10. It should arrive in a couple days. Interestingly for now the Nav system thinks it's parked in Dearborn, MI.
  9. Have a battery charger nearby to keep the battery charged while updating/testing software, etc. My unit pulled a SYNC update over WiFi immediately after connecting. I do not know if it successfully installed, but the contents of the ZIP file I downloaded for the donor Fiesta from Ford on a USB stick were rejected by the system. In any event, the software version is at least 3.0 and CarPlay functions.
  10. Before soldering, screwing, or snapping anything back together, test, test, test.
Edit 2019-07-29: Follow-up on #8: the GPS antenna I purchased from Amazon works. Be very careful removing any prior antenna (mine came with the old antenna's jack still attached because the wrecker simply cut all the wires going into the APIM) or you might also pull off the jack that is mounted to the APIM's rear PCB. Mine didn't seem to be soldered in place anyways, so straightening the jack's legs and firmly pressing them back into the proper holes on the board fixed the problem.

Last edited:
Quick question on this.. I've got a 2017 non-nav APIM coming in the mail and I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before installation. Ordered a new USB hub, Hub wiring adapter, Fakra GPS, etc.

The problem is, I don't think I can use my ASBuilt, since I have a SYNC 2 Nav unit currently, and I will be putting in a non-navigation apim. Having some trouble finding that option on a newer car (Fully loaded without nav, 2016-19) so it's tough trying to find a VIN that would work. Is there a reason the options packages need to match for the Asbuilt? As in, can I just use a newer non-nav, no sunroof, no Recaro VIN? Thanks!

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #193
Quick question on this.. I've got a 2017 non-nav APIM coming in the mail and I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before installation. Ordered a new USB hub, Hub wiring adapter, Fakra GPS, etc.

The problem is, I don't think I can use my ASBuilt, since I have a SYNC 2 Nav unit currently, and I will be putting in a non-navigation apim. Having some trouble finding that option on a newer car (Fully loaded without nav, 2016-19) so it's tough trying to find a VIN that would work. Is there a reason the options packages need to match for the Asbuilt? As in, can I just use a newer non-nav, no sunroof, no Recaro VIN? Thanks!
What is this 'ASBuilt' you're referencing?

Whoops, I found one for a 2019 that should work (hopefully) that has the Recaro Package and Sunroof and no other options.

@shouldbeasy I am referring to https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt/Details , they were mentioning it back on Page 7. I wanted to flash the APIM with the correct As-Built to make sure I retain hill hold assist and "sport mode"

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #195
Whoops, I found one for a 2019 that should work (hopefully) that has the Recaro Package and Sunroof and no other options.

@shouldbeasy I am referring to https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt/Details , they were mentioning it back on Page 7. I wanted to flash the APIM with the correct As-Built to make sure I retain hill hold assist and "sport mode"

Oh nice! That was a problem I (thankfully) didn't have to solve. The second unit I bought was from a Fiesta SE which didn't have 'Sport Mode' so I swapped screens over to my Fiesta APIM and was back in business. Wasn't aware that a reflash would have solve it! Good to know!

I still need to get a back up camera sorted...

Any suggestions on the Fakra GPS antenna? Everything else showed up on my door this afternoon, I'm excited to get started!

For everyone looking to do this swap, sign up for a free membership with Ford ETIS. It helps to use the site by running VIN numbers from the ebay listings to make sure that the APIM out of the car is Sync 3 and has the option you want (nav / non-nav). Also, do not discount the crappy Ebay listings that list the screen as the Fiesta 3.5" one (send the seller a message for pictures of the device). I bought one listed as a 2014 Sync 2 unit for $50 bucks and ended up with a Sync 3 non-nav unit after running the VIN of the car it came out of. Didn't like the scratched screen on it, so I ordered another unit for $70 that was listed as the 3.5" screen. It is in fact, Sync 3 (non-nav) with a mint screen. Save your money folks, scour all the listings on Ebay!

Could anyone confirm that the screen from this VIN# will work with a sync 3 module? 3FADP4BJ1HM103582. says it's from a fiesta without the sony system, which is what I'm worried about. the APIM module that shows on the FordEtis site is HB5T-14G371-BAG, and is off a december 2016 fiesta. I think it should work, possibly with https://www.ebay.ca/itm/323942687160?ViewItem=&item=323942687160 this APIM module...

Could anyone confirm that the screen from this VIN# will work with a sync 3 module? 3FADP4BJ1HM103582. says it's from a fiesta without the sony system, which is what I'm worried about. the APIM module that shows on the FordEtis site is HB5T-14G371-BAG, and is off a december 2016 fiesta. I think it should work, possibly with https://www.ebay.ca/itm/323942687160?ViewItem=&item=323942687160 this APIM module...
The link you posted looks to just be the APIM, without the screen. The VIN number posted is a Fiesta with build date 20.12.2016 with SYNC 3, without navigation. You would still need to program the new APIM using Forscan to get the Sony processing back (if you wanted) and to get back a proper functioning Hill Hold Assist as well as Sport Mode.

In case you were talking about just the screen, from what I have found basically as long as the screen is for a Sync 3 system and it's the 6.5" size, you're good to go.