Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford recalls 440k vehicles due to fire risk

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Look on the bright side,
It's free.

Dave

Ford have done the coolant leak sensor recall 17S09J but I do not see anything they replaced, maybe I have not looked hard enough. The coolant tank is original and I read through the 48 page recall pdf and it does mention a new tank but maybe for different cars, Escape etc. Does anyone know what is replaced, what error you get on the dash for low coolant and maybe a picture of what parts changed?
Thank you

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Ford have done the coolant leak sensor recall 17S09J but I do not see anything they replaced, maybe I have not looked hard enough. The coolant tank is original and I read through the 48 page recall pdf and it does mention a new tank but maybe for different cars, Escape etc. Does anyone know what is replaced, what error you get on the dash for low coolant and maybe a picture of what parts changed?
Thank you
There's a level sensor on the new coolant tank .

Thank you
Your supposed to get a new coolant tank with low coolant sensor, new lower 179F opening thermostat and a bunch of new/revised coolant lines along with new wiring harness that is spliced into factory wiring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Actually the sensor is not in the tank, it is in the tower mounter next to the new tank.
There were few issues with the tank, the main reason it was replaced was to enable the mounting space for the tower/sensor..
The lower hose was also replaced (not seen).
Wiring harness for the sensor was also added.

The light on the dash is the same coolant icon as before.
It now comes on for both temp and low coolant.

Dave

I will have to check again when my wife brings the car home, I will let you know. Thank you.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I want a lower thermostat installed by ford for free lol. I heard they are a bitch to do.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So I have the original coolant tank with no coolant stack which has the coolant level sensor in, or not in my case. Grr

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I want a lower thermostat installed by ford for free lol. I heard they are a bitch to do.
A bitch to do, yes, but only because you must remove the alternator to get to it.

What I don't understand, is why everyone wants to change thermostats?
Thermostats do not keep the cooling system temp cool but hold it to a constant hot level.
In most cases coolant is always hotter than the thermostat's opening point any way (usually above 200°)
The thermostat opening point was first primarily to provide creature comfort but then it was found to produce less emissions by heating up faster.
Somewhere in the middle of those two times it was proved that less stress was caused to engine components by keeping the coolant constant.

So if you are in a very hot environment, the thermostat does very little for you.
If you are in a very cold environment, the thermostat does help keep the engine hotter.
If you are not having this over heat issue, why bother.

Another factor that most forget is that the thermostat is also a flow restrictor and remove it altogether.
This is a very bad thing and your car will run hotter.
This is because the coolant will flow through the radiator too fast and not cool enough.

It is my belief, as well as others I have talked to, the main reason for the thermostat replacement during this recall is to make sure it was installed correctly.
Yes, I do understand they went to a 180° unit, but mainly it was to make sure the bleed hole was at the top.
With the bleed hole other than at the top, this could cause air to be trapped in the block and cause a no cooling situation and the thermostat may not open at all.

Just my 3¢ worth.

Dave

I just got my car back after almost 2 weeks.
Everything looks just fine.
Of course I can't tell if the low coolant light works as it should only come on if the coolant is low (and it is not).
The odd thing is that the invoice says, EGR kit and EGR wiring but we know this really has nothing to do with the EGR system.
Now I can reinstall my tune and catch can.

Dave
Curious as to why you removed your catch can.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Curious as to why you removed your catch can.

As it turns out I was correct in assuming that my catch can in the original location would interfere with the install of the new sensor.
I had to make a new mounting bracket for the can to rise it up about 1/2 inch to clear the sensor connector.

Dave

As it turns out I was correct in assuming that my catch can in the original location would interfere with the install of the new sensor.
I had to make a new mounting bracket for the can to rise it up about 1/2 inch to clear the sensor connector.

Dave
Gotcha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

build date is 16.1.2015

i am monitoring a slow coolant "leak/loss" and am curious as to why my car is past the build date for affected cars, yet i am still monitoring a coolant loss....any thoughts??

me32

1000 Post Club
build date is 16.1.2015

i am monitoring a slow coolant "leak/loss" and am curious as to why my car is past the build date for affected cars, yet i am still monitoring a coolant loss....any thoughts??
Because they were not able to pin point exactly the build dates of cars effective. There are early 16 builds that still have the same head used on the 14-15st. They revised the head late 15 early 16 for the 1.6.

build date is 16.1.2015

I personally had the recall completed on my 14 FiST but can also report independently of the recall had a small coolant leak from the block heater which was being vapourized on the hot turbo and after my recall was done had a very small leak coming from the thermostat housing gasket which got recently replaced which was weird cause a new gasket would have been installed as part of the recall

me32

1000 Post Club
I personally had the recall completed on my 14 FiST but can also report independently of the recall had a small coolant leak from the block heater which was being vapourized on the hot turbo and after my recall was done had a very small leak coming from the thermostat housing gasket which got recently replaced which was weird cause a new gasket would have been installed as part of the recall

Possibly didn't get a good seal on the new gasket

this is crazy. i sold my 20 year old jdm subaru and it never leaked a ounce of coolant and yet here we are in 20 freaking 18 and ford cant even make a proper turbo 4 banger hahahhahaa. and i thought my days of going under my hood before drives were over...... sigh...

ive booked myself into a delaership to have them look at the slow coolant loss as well as my stuck a.c. dam thing only blows hot air atm...

Because they were not able to pin point exactly the build dates of cars effective. There are early 16 builds that still have the same head used on the 14-15st. They revised the head late 15 early 16 for the 1.6.
Source/link?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk