Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Free way to increase oil capacity and filtering which is a very good thing!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Larger oil filter.

If not the same price at the most just a tiny bit more, nearly free, then a it more oil needed....best mod to protect your engine for the money there is, period!

This has been done for decades in racing, personally I have done it on many vehicles including all out race cars, never an issue as long as you do it right which is very simple.

Mentioned in a few threads but not where some may take notice so I thought it best to make a thread just for it.

This is the size filter I use but it might be a bit big for those with the stock oil to water cooler installed, it could be a bit to big but I think it will fit your cars. As long as the gaskets mate up and the threads are correct, screws all the way on, good to go so finding a bit smaller one if needed is easy.

Napa Gold, made by WIX, widely known as a superb filter at a very good price, I have used these on race cars and others for years.

Part number on this one is 1355

As you can see mine is a bit different but plenty of room on top of the Mocal plate versus stock cooler unit.

Lower hose is part of the water to oil cooler bypass as it feeds the heater core as well, now I have a shorter hose that sits higher and even more room to work but also just the fan, no radiator shroud for the back of the radiator, completely removed.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Good idea and have been doing the same on trucks. The one thing to keep in mind is that you will need more oil than what the user manual says. Start off by putting the amount recommended and measure with the dip stick(couple of engine run cycles(30 seconds at idle) will be required to fully load the filter). It will take a few times to get it right. If you are diligent you can measure how much you use and the next time it will be faster. Also take the extra time to load some new oil in the filter, especially the larger one, to help make sure oil is ready when you start the engine the first time starting after the oil change.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Great advice, just not to much oil in the filter so it does not spill when you tip it sideways to get it threaded on:)

Also you can run a bit extra oil over the dipstick marker I am quite sure, I have not tested this yet but most engines are fine and some absolutely must do for track events on race tires. I will just add an extra 4 oz or so until I hear anything about oiling issues, to see if needed, OK to do, etc......

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Good catch!

I am more an IPA filter than lager:)

Edited, it said bigger lager filter in the first post[cheers]

Used to run neon srt4 filters on my Saturn. It was double the size as the recommended filter.