Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FTW-FST45XR Turbobay Hybrid

OP
Obsoletion
Thread Starter #21
So you know its been awhile since I’ve been on here but i had more problems with the turbo. Seems to be that the seals where fine but the metal case is probably cracked internally. I’ve reached out to the owner and he is sending me a prototype turbo that he’s been working on. So when the turbo is finished it will be his new and improved version 2. I am disappointed with the situation but i an also excited to try out a turbo that he said will outperform the older model. I don’t know what to expect but he seems like a good guy and has a lot of passion for cars. I also bought the bosch uprated injectors for the jaguar and will be testing those too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I was skeptical at the beginning after buying it, but after talking to my tuner and the owner of turbo Bay I felt like the turbo was more than fine for the application I’m looking to use it for. My favorite part of it honestly is the power all the way to 7k rpms and the way it whistles
How did it all turn out?

Doesn't look like they still offer anything for our cars anymore 😭. Looked almost promising just need a little dialing in.
I contacted them this morning, and it looks like they are selling the hybrid, in a new version, for the FiST. They gave me the name of someone who apparently has been running it, I'm trying to get a little more scoop from them. The price is certainly right on it.....$845 with core return and ceramic coating included.

Last edited:
I contacted them this morning, and it looks like they are selling the hybrid, in a new version, for the FiST. They gave me the name of someone who apparently has been running it, I'm trying to get a little more scoop from them. The price is certainly right on it.....$845 with core return and ceramic coating included.
I'm definitely interested in hearing the scoop once you do.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
just FYI, you will need a large bore inlet, both fire rings, oil drain gasket, new OEM downpipe bolts all of which are included with our hybrid.
not included with the turbobay

in case some folks can't calculate actual costs
I've attached the checkout at Turbobay which would be the actual cost as compared to other hybrids as it's an outright purchase
$1356.76 is the cost
add the parts not included from our site : $116.96
for a grand total of $1473.72

compared to our $1499.99 with 1 year 12,000 mile warranty. I work closely with Tune Plus and can tell you the compressor wheel is not correctly sized for this unit. Slow spool (for a hybrid) and massive power drop off. This unit was not popular for that reason same as the Turbo Parts Canada hybrid that another vendor was selling as they are identical in their makeup
good luck in your endeavours (y)

Attachments

All valid points @ron@whoosh. Im not committed to such a turbo.....Im honestly just curious about it and certainly havent bought one. They are discounting them more heavily than noted online (and also located about 90 min south of me), which with my cheap junkyard tuning roots couldnt be ignored. But, as you are eluding to, sometimes one can be pound wise penny foolish.:p

I have there new version that was spoken of in an earlier post. To start of, it is just as pricey as any other turbo when you get down to it, you really don’t get all the parts other companies offer. The turbo definitely doesn’t spool as fast as other hybrids(as @ron@whoosh said), though they seem to have fixed the top end power falling off. I’m still in the earlier stages of tuning, but so far it pulls hard till redline(well as close as I will get to redline) and makes good top end power. I will say I was kinda surprised how slow the spool is. Definitely less torque than expected, you won’t be burning through as many tires as much. It kinda feels more like a wrx power band atleast from my experience. I’ll try an updated here when the tuning is done with some Dyno numbers and more thoughts.

So far though I love it, and have had zero issues.

Update: Final Tune and Dyno Results.
I have officially finished tuning and have driven the car about 3000km. It has been great, the low end torque I had complaint about in the earlier post is better but the car still doesnt have as much oomph as I expected. However, throughout the tuning process that problem has been dealt with slightly. This may be something that can help people decide if they want this turbo or not, the final torque number was about 293 wheel(which is a lot) but it doesn’t peak until around 3750rpm. For me this is a plus since it still pulls really well but doesn’t burn through tires nearly as easily. However, if you want the low end punch characteristic of these cars you won’t get quite the same feeling with the slower spool time of this turbo.

The final figures from my dyno session today were 270whp and 293wtq on 91 octane. The attached graph is from a local dyno that is known to have low figures. To compare it to a Dyno jet you need to add 10%-15%, I added ten to get my final figures.

All in all the car is amazing, exactly what I wanted. It has great top and power to redline and the way the torque comes on allows for good acceleration but doesn't destroy your tires.

Some things to keep in mind if you are thinking of buying this turbo.
1. Doesn’t spool as fast as other hybrids, so you don’t get the same down low punch of the stock turbo.
2. This turbo whistles a lot and I mean a lot. If you don’t want a loud turbo this turbo is not for you.
3. It isn't the most popular turbo and there dont seem to be a lot of people who have run them for a long period of time. Something to keep in mind for reliability. 8CFA8BD2-1541-42B8-B5D3-EF8D9B246BEB.jpeg
4. You will not be able to make a much max power in the long run with this specific turbo, I wouldn’t feel comfortable pushing more power out of it. Go with a whoosh turbo if you think you want to keep adding power down the line.

I will make a 1 year update post so people know how it’s going.

OP
Obsoletion
Thread Starter #32
Sorry I haven’t posted an update, but I haven’t been having a good time with the turbo. The turbo was sent back two times for leaking oil somewhere inside which caused some serious smoking. I received the the turbo a third time and installed it after about two weeks i was driving on the highway and heard a pop, turns out the exhaust side fan blew off. Well i was super pissed being the third time it has failed and ordered a S280 that day. The S280 is running great. Im not going to even bring up the fact it took almost a year to get it back the third time.

Attachments