Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fuel pump

Can anyone hear their fuel pump? I think this is the noise I am hearing while driving...like boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo And by the way it's driving me nuts!

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Even with my sound symposer deleted I can not hear that..
And yes I have proof I am deaf ... ;) lol

iso100

1000 Post Club
Are you sure it's the fuel pump? The transfer pump is the one you hear prime when you open the door. Since our engines are direct injection the high pressure pump actually runs off an extra cam lobe and is right on the head. It's a mechanical pump that cranks out the high pressures required for direct injection.

When I have the rear seats leaned down, when you start getting into boost I heard this wooshing noise coming from somewhere in the rear. I wonder if it the same thing. When I put the rear seats back up, you don't hear it.

This discussion of road noise and possible fuel pump sounds and other sounds heard in the car is a bit bewildering. It seems unless we are in RD's car or anyone else s it is hard to determine. RD, when I sound out what you say you are hearing: it sounds a lot like a resonance that I hear when I am going over a rough surface...its like a high pitched vibration being set up by something in the car....but for me, at least, this resonance seems to be coming from further forward than the back end.
I do know that this "resonance" that I hear is also very annoying but I don't know what to do about it either......... And is this the same thing RD is hearing; I have no idea.........

OP
RDgolfer
Thread Starter #6
This discussion of road noise and possible fuel pump sounds and other sounds heard in the car is a bit bewildering. It seems unless we are in RD's car or anyone else s it is hard to determine. RD, when I sound out what you say you are hearing: it sounds a lot like a resonance that I hear when I am going over a rough surface...its like a high pitched vibration being set up by something in the car....but for me, at least, this resonance seems to be coming from further forward than the back end.
I do know that this "resonance" that I hear is also very annoying but I don't know what to do about it either......... And is this the same thing RD is hearing; I have no idea.........
The reason I think it's the fuel pump is I hear it right behind the drivers seat, and that is where the fuel tank is...I will find out Tuesday and see if Tasca has any ideas about this...and if nothing can be done, I'm thinking of putting some sound deadening mats on the floor in that area....we'll see

iso100

1000 Post Club
Strange you can hear it. I have a Walbro 255 in my XR4Ti and that thing is loud. This Fiesta ST is nearly silent.

OP
RDgolfer
Thread Starter #9
It's in the background...higher in pitch than the road noise...almost as if something was whistling outside of the car because of air rushing past it...but more droney...either way it's got to be addressed and fixed...if I had no radio to block it out, I would dump the car immediately