Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Full Recirculation Bypass Valve - Boomba Racing

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
[MENTION=1045]Boomba Racing[/MENTION];

Could you please go over the advantages this system has over the GFB DV for those who may not have heard them yet, or to better explain them to those who have. ;)

OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #46
Sure [MENTION=4438]M-Sport fan[/MENTION]

While the GFB piece is a good upgrade, you are still re-using parts of the factory BPV. Our unit fully replaces this piece in favor of something much higher build quality. Our BOVs and BPVs are made from billet aluminum and feature a brass piston in a unit that is sealed tight with multiple o-rings.

Another major difference between our piece and the GFB one is that ours is controlled via a standalone solenoid. The Boomba Bypass Valve uses an ECU controlled solenoid that provides the bypass valve with both vacuum and boost pressure. Using boost to close the valve keeps it sealed no matter what the boost pressure is. The higher the amount of pressure, the stronger force there is keeping the valve closed. Vacuum is used to keep the valve open in this configuration. This with the combination of the ECU controlled solenoid prevents the valve from any fluttering or premature opening. This also works to eliminate any unwanted pressure spikes during venting. The purpose of this bypass valve is to prevent turbo lag and allow the car to hold boost in a steadier manner. When the throttle plate closes, excess boost pressure is vented so that the turbo can continue to spin during higher RPMs rather than surge from backpressure. The bypass valve is tested to over 75 PSI to ensure leak-free operation. The electrical connection on the provided solenoid matches right up with your factory wiring and there is no need to splice or trick your ECU with resistors.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thank you! [thumb]

I will start saving my pennies for this, and a new factory vacuum line (the one that gets spliced into, to have just in case I have to quickly revert back to stock configuration for any reason), right after I buy your complete short shift kit, and probably your air/oil separator. ;)

OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #48
Thank you! [thumb]

I will start saving my pennies for this, and a new factory vacuum line (the one that gets spliced into, to have just in case I have to quickly revert back to stock configuration for any reason), right after I buy your complete short shift kit, and probably your air/oil separator. ;)

Sounds awesome! Let us know if you've got any further questions on anything!

Sure [MENTION=4438]M-Sport fan[/MENTION]

While the GFB piece is a good upgrade, you are still re-using parts of the factory BPV. Our unit fully replaces this piece in favor of something much higher build quality. Our BOVs and BPVs are made from billet aluminum and feature a brass piston in a unit that is sealed tight with multiple o-rings.

Another major difference between our piece and the GFB one is that ours is controlled via a standalone solenoid. The Boomba Bypass Valve uses an ECU controlled solenoid that provides the bypass valve with both vacuum and boost pressure. Using boost to close the valve keeps it sealed no matter what the boost pressure is. The higher the amount of pressure, the stronger force there is keeping the valve closed. Vacuum is used to keep the valve open in this configuration. This with the combination of the ECU controlled solenoid prevents the valve from any fluttering or premature opening. This also works to eliminate any unwanted pressure spikes during venting. The purpose of this bypass valve is to prevent turbo lag and allow the car to hold boost in a steadier manner. When the throttle plate closes, excess boost pressure is vented so that the turbo can continue to spin during higher RPMs rather than surge from backpressure. The bypass valve is tested to over 75 PSI to ensure leak-free operation. The electrical connection on the provided solenoid matches right up with your factory wiring and there is no need to splice or trick your ECU with resistors.
Just in the name of fairness, the GFB DV+ is also aluminum with a brass piston. Yes, it reuses the OEM diaphragm, but at the same point, it also doesn't introduce an extra point of failure (additional solenoid), so that's a wash in my mind. I really like Boomba's stuff (and have lots of it!) but minus a big turbo, I found it hard to go this route over a DV+.

On a side note, M-Sport, totally go with Boomba for the OCC. Everything about it is perfect.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Do you have any video clips of this blow off valve operating? I'm wondering how loud it is compared to stock.

Also like another member mentioned, how much is just the BPV itself? I have a vacuum source block so I don't believe I need the vacuum distributor piece thingy.

OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #56
Do you have any video clips of this blow off valve operating? I'm wondering how loud it is compared to stock.

Also like another member mentioned, how much is just the BPV itself? I have a vacuum source block so I don't believe I need the vacuum distributor piece thingy.
The bypass valve is near stock sound in operation with a little bit more "woosh". If you are looking for noise we recommend looking at our boost operated blow off valve.

As far as the BPV itself without the solenoid, we sent you an email in regards to that.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Hey everyone,

I recently picked up one of the full recirculation bypass valves during Boomba's black friday sale. I just installed it today on my 2014 FiST and I figure I would share my thoughts!

Install - This was actually a real pain in the ass. I have a jack, stands, and a good amount of tools and knowledge and it still took me about 3 hours to install. There area you work in is super tight and if you have big clumsy hands like me it will be frustrating! Just real tight in there and no room.

Some major thoughts from the installation:
- ]If I were to do it again I'd replace all of the allen bolts that secure the BPV. The bolts themselves seem like they are poor quality and easy to strip. This is an Easy and cheap upgrade.
- Boomba's instructions say there is a 12mm bolt on the passenger firewall that you will remove to secure the solenoid. On my 2014 this was actually a 10mm bolt. This bolt also had a HUGE washer on it that you cant remove. This was by far the biggest headache of the install. The solenoid mounting bracket has a recessed area where the bolt+socket can go, however with this large washer attached I couldn't get the bolt threaded because it wouldn't fit into the recessed area. I ended up looking through old parts and finding a random bolt + washers that did that worked. I think Boomba should look at the hardware on the early models and update their instructions. If this part went smooth my install would have probably been an hour shorter

Performance - There is a definite noticeable performance gain! The car holds boost much better especially between shifts. Also the BPV noise has a VERY different and more aggressive tone than the stock BPV. This is a good thing!!! The noise level is about the same but the tone is very different. Its hard to describe but I find it more "tuner". I will try and film a video to capture this sound.

Overall I'm quite happy. The parts are made VERY well, I just wish the install went a little smoother. That whole bolt fiasco really annoyed me. Luckily I had an extra bolt laying around to finish the job. Hopefully Boomba updates their instructions in the future

OP
Boomba Racing

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #59
Hey everyone,

I recently picked up one of the full recirculation bypass valves during Boomba's black friday sale. I just installed it today on my 2014 FiST and I figure I would share my thoughts!

Install - This was actually a real pain in the ass. I have a jack, stands, and a good amount of tools and knowledge and it still took me about 3 hours to install. There area you work in is super tight and if you have big clumsy hands like me it will be frustrating! Just real tight in there and no room.

Some major thoughts from the installation:
- ]If I were to do it again I'd replace all of the allen bolts that secure the BPV. The bolts themselves seem like they are poor quality and easy to strip. This is an Easy and cheap upgrade.
- Boomba's instructions say there is a 12mm bolt on the passenger firewall that you will remove to secure the solenoid. On my 2014 this was actually a 10mm bolt. This bolt also had a HUGE washer on it that you cant remove. This was by far the biggest headache of the install. The solenoid mounting bracket has a recessed area where the bolt+socket can go, however with this large washer attached I couldn't get the bolt threaded because it wouldn't fit into the recessed area. I ended up looking through old parts and finding a random bolt + washers that did that worked. I think Boomba should look at the hardware on the early models and update their instructions. If this part went smooth my install would have probably been an hour shorter

Performance - There is a definite noticeable performance gain! The car holds boost much better especially between shifts. Also the BPV noise has a VERY different and more aggressive tone than the stock BPV. This is a good thing!!! The noise level is about the same but the tone is very different. Its hard to describe but I find it more "tuner". I will try and film a video to capture this sound.

Overall I'm quite happy. The parts are made VERY well, I just wish the install went a little smoother. That whole bolt fiasco really annoyed me. Luckily I had an extra bolt laying around to finish the job. Hopefully Boomba updates their instructions in the future
Thank you for taking the time to do this write-up for us! We really appreciate it. We are happy to hear that you are pleased with the performance of our BPV. It really does help with holding boost better and more consistently than the factory OEM BPV. We're going to forward your installation notes along to our engineers to see if we can modify our guides.

Thank you again for making this post!

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thank you for taking the time to do this write-up for us! We really appreciate it. We are happy to hear that you are pleased with the performance of our BPV. It really does help with holding boost better and more consistently than the factory OEM BPV. We're going to forward your installation notes along to our engineers to see if we can modify our guides.

Thank you again for making this post!
Thanks for responding. I agree it is a well made part and the performance gain is notable. Its well worth the headache from the install lol.

What would have made everything a lot easier is if the mounting bracket for the solenoid did not have the recessed area. Interestingly last night I noticed the solenoid mounting bracket on the install video was flat, while mine had the recessed area. Was I sent a solenoid for a different eco boost model?