Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fumoto oil drain valve

One of my least favorite things about changing oil is wrestling with a drain plug and having oil splash all over me as I pull it free. Looks like this problem could be put to rest by this:

http://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-F-106-Engine-Drain-Valve/dp/B003OXUPOQ/ref=pd_sim_auto_2#productDetails

Experiences, thoughts? My biggest concern, at least as I first think about it, is simply whether this thing could be knocked open during driving and/or be more likely to leak. The manufacturer claims long and problem-free experience with these under demanding circumstances. Anyone here with experience with these?
My main issue with these things is due to the configuration of the oil drain hole for the ST on the side of the pan. Using the stock drain plug, the pan is designed so that when you take out the plug you drain all of the oil out of the pan. If you look at the valve in the picture and consider the distance between the ID of the threads on the large end and the ID of the drain hole on the exit side of the valve, it will always leave a residual amount of oil in the pan. It won't be much, but likely a few millimetres. Consider then that this few mm of oil sitting at the bottom of your pan is where all the bad crap, dirt and sludge and little bits of metal from normal operation collects. This stuff will never drain out of your engine. I'd hazard a guess that if after you'd run the car for a few years with one of these things installed and then dropped the pan you'd have a layer of junk that you'd have to remove with a scraper. Just my $.02 worth.[wrenchin]

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #22
Great observation, scottie. I have to admit I hadn't scouted out the exact position and orientation of the drain plug yet, and hadn't anticipated the issue you raise. That seals the deal for me, if it wasn't already done. Not going there. I love the basic idea, but I'm not going to risk leaving an ever-uglier and thicker layer of crud in the bottom of the oil pan.

The design of the valve is quite fail proof with the spring loaded handle that sits it a groove
Interesting concept for someone who changes its own oil wich i dont
Depending on the plug location mebtioned avove it does create a problem
Good design good idea but not for me

it will always leave a residual amount of oil in the pan. It won't be much, but likely a few millimetres. Consider then that this few mm of oil sitting at the bottom of your pan is where all the bad crap, dirt and sludge and little bits of metal from normal operation collects.
I used to be borderline OCD with draining absolutely all of the old oil out of my cars' engine when changing the oil. About fifteen years ago I bought a mid-'80s air-cooled Porsche 911. That car held about 13 quarts of oil, but due to the front mounted oil cooler and associated feed and return lines you can only drain about 10 quarts of old oil. This drove me crazy for a long time, but in the seven years of owning that car there was never a problem because of dirty oil in the system. Since then the thought of a couple teaspoons of old oil left in the sump of my subsequent cars hasn't bothered me.

With respect to the Fumoto drain valve in question, although I've never used one they have been around for many years and I don't remember ever hearing of one failing or otherwise draining the oil when not intended.

whoosh

I've used one of these on several vehicles for trends of thousands of miles each. The release lever for the valve is engineered very well. I've never experienced an issue personally, nor have I heard of one from other users... It does save a great deal of time and reduces mess during a diy oil change.

If you're insistent on getting every drop of oil out of the pan, you'll want to skip it.

I have used them on several vehicles and my boat. Never had one leak or come open and they make changing the oil much cleaner. This reminds me that I need to order one for the FiST.

Looking at the design...I don't see this opening on its own (spring loaded detente). If I installed this valve correctly (proper torque) I might be better off than removing and re-installing the drain plug multiple times. And I would like to think if I properly warm the oil prior to draining ( help to suspend bits in the oil) and am using a good quality oil filter you would not have to worry about every last drop and especially with synthetic and changing the oil more often than the Ford recommendation...which forum members are likely to do...........

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I'm installing mine this weekend with an Motorcraft oil and filter change. I'll take pics and let everyone know how it goes. I already have quikvalves on on my other Fords (2007 and 2012 Focus, and 2011 Mustang).

FYI, I tried installing mine yesterday during an oil change and there is no way to get it to fit, short of shaving some of the oil pan off and screw all that.

The side of the drain valve smacks against the edge of the oil pan around the drain, preventing it from making even a full rotation to thread in. I'll be returning mine. Too bad!

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
FYI, I tried installing mine yesterday during an oil change and there is no way to get it to fit, short of shaving some of the oil pan off and screw all that.

The side of the drain valve smacks against the edge of the oil pan around the drain, preventing it from making even a full rotation to thread in. I'll be returning mine. Too bad!
You need the adapter for the Fiesta. ADL-106 14mm 1.5, costs about 10.24 with shipping, or you can go to Home Depot (or Graingers and order a male-to-female coupler 14mm.

why is this piece necessary?
Because of this:

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #37
Good to know there's an effective adapter for the valve. Thanks for the info.

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
I've used these valves for years on all of my cars without any failures or leaks. A US patent was provided to Fumoto in 1999 for these valves. Here is the original patent application. I have this on my Mustang, wife's and son's focus, and now my fiesta. These are very well built valves. As stated previously, a locking clip is available for off road applications. However, the way this valve sits on the oil pan, one would dent the oil pan or turbo hot pipe before shearing off this valve.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5275200.pdf

Do you need any other gaskets when using these? Or are the pictured ones (blue ones) included and all you need?