Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fun to drive 'grown-up' car?

HBEcoBeaST

I'm in the market for a more mature appearing car that still has a soul. Due to the stigma in the cannabis industry, modded, overly flashy, 'rice-burner' or loud cars are frowned upon when meeting with city officials, law enforcement or potential investors. I've had several people mention it mostly due to my ITG intake noise but I'm sure being lowered, black wheels, tints and stickers don't help either.

Looking for a fun, more low key daily. My first thought was a used cts-v but not sure if that'd be any less obnoxious than the FiST and the interior/infotainment is not good. Second thoughts were an M2 but not sure of the famous BMW reliability with that model. Also really like the Alfa Romeo guilia but again.... Reliability. Drove the top of the line Kia stinger, it was ok but reminded me of a charger in how big/heavy it felt. I'd love to get something electric but currently rent my apartment so no charging station.

Is there anything out there fun, professional and reliable? Audi S5? BMW 3 series? Mercedes C class? Anything I'm missing? My budget would be $40-65k. I'd rather get the right car than the fastest or most expensive. Also open to leasing which BMW leads the pack on affordability.

And as a side note I'm keeping the FiST.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Brianmc27

I was searching for the answer to this question just earlier today, in case my wife cons me into having a third kid.
For me, a manual trans is a must in a DD - and cars that can hold 3 car seats and have a manual trans are few and far between. My final decision would probably be an Accord Sport 6MT - but if size weren’t a factor I’d shoot for the Golf R.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I'll openly admit that I feel a little odd at the age of 27, almost 28, to be driving around a Fiesta ST. Something about it doesn't feel "grown up." Which I attribute that mainly to the size of it. I've had a inner debate with myself saying that if I got a Focus RS I'd feel much better about the "maturity" of my vehicle. When I was deciding on the FiST it was between it, a Focus ST, Focus RS, STI, or the newer Fusion Sport. In the end though, I try not to care because the FiST is such a blast to drive compared to the others and its definitely not going to be in my stable forever. It'll be there for a long time, but not forever. So my "grown up" car will have to be my next. I do consider it my toy though, as I do have another car which isn't a "grown up" car, but is more "grown up" then the FiST.

I definitely understand your situation

Well I'm in my 40's and got the Fiesta as it's a blast to drive, don't care what others think. My wife gave me crap as I've always had cars a bit more expensive, but the kids fit and enjoy it.
HBEcoBeast- VW Golf R's are quite nice. You can get a DSG or manual. Looks like a typical golf but much more enjoyable to drive, awd and pretty fun. Interior is also nice and if you spend a bit more money you can choose pretty much any color you want for an exterior.
There is always the golf sport wagon awd with a manual as well if more room is needed. Throw an APR flash and it's faster than a Gti.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Well I'm in my 40's and got the Fiesta as it's a blast to drive, don't care what others think. My wife gave me crap as I've always had cars a bit more expensive, but the kids fit and enjoy it.
HBEcoBeast- VW Golf R's are quite nice. You can get a DSG or manual. Looks like a typical golf but much more enjoyable to drive, awd and pretty fun. Interior is also nice and if you spend a bit more money you can choose pretty much any color you want for an exterior.
Agreed. My girlfriend loves it and loves that I love it. I don't care what anybody says about it.

On the VW Golf R subject. Be careful as I've heard from fellow VW friends that maintenance isn't cheap once out of warranty. Interior is definitely nice though.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
To the OP
Honestly I get where you are coming from I have an M3 that definitely falls into the the more grown up aspect. I do not really care how my FiST appears to people in fact most people around here just see it as a cute little econo box. Lol
There are plenty of Grown ups driving Fiesta’s in LA.

I also laugh out loud at the fact that your in the Cannabis industry and worried about outward appearances. Sheeesh you‘re peddling pot man.
Either pot has become uptight or its comprimised by the corporate types. Lol

Glad I stopped doing that crap long time ago lol

But jokes aside Even a nice sedate looking Mazda 3 Sedan would fit the bill and look appropiate and they are fun to drive. You do not have to break the bank to get a good car that presents a more mature good image. Lol

Or are you just tryin to show off you’re a Huntington Beach baller? Lol J/K

Last edited:

Brianmc27

I’m 34 and I couldn’t care less about looking grown up, haha. Life is too short for boring and sterile cars.
My 2 toddler car seats just baaaaarely fit behind me and my wife, but it works.

Ever heard of the Datsun 240Z? Take a look at it's descendant, the Nissan 370Z. 3300 lbs. curb weight and 350 HP under the hood means spirited performance and excellent handling. In addition it's also available with a 6 speed manual. That is your "grown up" FiST. BTW, after looking it up and seeing the sticker price it would be my choice to replace my ST if the need ever arises, it's actually quite affordable at about 34,000 USD.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ever heard of the Datsun 240Z? Take a look at it's descendant, the Nissan 370Z. 3300 lbs. curb weight and 350 HP under the hood means spirited performance and excellent handling. In addition it's also available with a 6 speed manual. That is your "grown up" FiST. BTW, after looking it up and seeing the sticker price it would be my choice to replace my ST if the need ever arises, it's actually quite affordable at about 34,000 USD.
Oh ya can pick one of those up used low miles in good shape for around 17k No need to pay $34k for a new one. Nothing really has changed on them in the last ten years. Lol
I was literally having this discussion with Booster last night. Seeing as I am a RWD car guy first and I am planning on offing my M3 anyways. It was a thought. He is quite interested in one for the very reasons you stated. Put the car on a diet and get it down to to around 2900 lbs it would be pretty damn fun. Of course the looks are polarizing for some. I would never buy one new at this stage though. I would plunk down the extra money for Supra. Lol or get a used Cayman.
Though I think he is looking more towards a sedate 4 door type vehicle. Which is way I would never recommend a Golf R like I joked about before but is kinda true he lives in Huntington Beach its kind of a seen be seen place with lots of flash. You either go baller or go conservative nice. Too sporty might not present the image he is after again something else I joked about because he is in the fricken pot business. Lol

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'll openly admit that I feel a little odd at the age of 27, almost 28, to be driving around a Fiesta ST. Something about it doesn't feel "grown up." Which I attribute that mainly to the size of it. I've had a inner debate with myself saying that if I got a Focus RS I'd feel much better about the "maturity" of my vehicle. When I was deciding on the FiST it was between it, a Focus ST, Focus RS, STI, or the newer Fusion Sport. In the end though, I try not to care because the FiST is such a blast to drive compared to the others and its definitely not going to be in my stable forever. It'll be there for a long time, but not forever. So my "grown up" car will have to be my next. I do consider it my toy though, as I do have another car which isn't a "grown up" car, but is more "grown up" then the FiST.

I definitely understand your situation
I am almost 65, and I don't give a flying eff what ANYONE thinks when they see me getting out of a small, loud, hot hatch! [wink] [driving]

In fact, I wear it as a 'badge of honor' of sorts. [:)]

Let THEM drive their abjectly boring Camrys/Avalons (I don't care HOW 'quick' they are 0-60, or how much TOY tries to tout/market/promote them as 'exciting' with all sorts of packages, they are still appliances to me!), or their pedestrian SUVs if they so desire or 'must', or because that is "what they are supposed to drive" at my age.

Last edited:

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Forget all that. Get a slightly used XJ. Callum’s design is timeless.
Barring that, an E63 wagon. Or a Giulia. Finally, an unmolested GTI.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I’m 36 and work in the petrochemical industry. Everyone drives trucks or flashy cars. They can’t believe I drive a little Fiesta with orange wheels.

My wife has a Mazda 3. It’s plenty comfortable and low profile, but it drives nice. I would definitely recommend one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genesis g70. Same platform as the stinger you drove but shorter wheelbase and lsd standard. For a midsize sedan, it certainly does not feel it's size. Certainly doesn't handle like a fiesta but I enjoy driving it, supplemented by the bump in power. A big plus is for under 1k for a jb4 and some supporting mods, you can reliably make 400+ whp.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk