Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fun to drive 'grown-up' car?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I don't care, I'd rather do it myself. I enjoy the greater control of being able to shift it myself.
Not to split hairs here - but you don’t cede CONTROL if you choose to use the paddles rather than leave it to the computer to change gears. But - naturally, there’s something to be said about a perfectly executed heel-toe downshift. I suppose you’re not a fan of rev-matching either, eh? ;-)

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #182
It comes down to preference and what you use the car for. During non covid19 traffic it can take me over an hour to go 20ish miles on the 405. A manual is definitely not more fun in stop and go conditions as mentioned. That's where the dual nature of a DSG is a great compromise.

A manual is great for around town or when you are having fun.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Not to split hairs here - but you don’t cede CONTROL if you choose to use the paddles rather than leave it to the computer to change gears. But - naturally, there’s something to be said about a perfectly executed heel-toe downshift. I suppose you’re not a fan of rev-matching either, eh? ;-)
You make a good point here, I guess a more accurate way to describe it is that I just prefer the feeling of a manual transmission. That's true for me even though I don't know how to heel and toe.
Whenever I've had paddle shifters in a loaner car, I just ended up feeling annoyed. That said, if I had them for a while I might get used to them. I do think our transmission is an especially nice one, and that's comparing it to the manual transmissions in Hondas and Acuras that I have had which are known for having really good transmissions.
I wouldn't mind rev-matching, I know some manual transmission cars have it now.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I wouldn't mind rev-matching, I know some manual transmission cars have it now.
I always thought that was part of the reason for the (seemingly built into the factory ECM's programming) 'rev hang', which everyone on here despises so vehemently, and scrambles to eliminate with tuning of one sort or another??

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I always thought that was part of the reason for the (seemingly built into the factory ECM's programming) 'rev hang', which everyone on here despises so vehemently, and scrambles to eliminate with tuning of one sort or another??
I was thinking more of a kind of rev matching that would automatically blip the throttle for you to the correct RPM when you shift into a lower gear. I read that a Nissan 370Z had that, and thought it was kind of interesting.
I haven't found the rev hang on our cars to be a problem.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I was thinking more of a kind of rev matching that would automatically blip the throttle for you to the correct RPM when you shift into a lower gear. I read that a Nissan 370Z had that, and thought it was kind of interesting.
Of course the rev hang in our rides is not anything as accurate, or efficient as a real, dedicated, programmed in (whether by the factory, or a tuner) rev matching feature, but I just thought it was a very crude/'catch all' attempt at rev matching.

Last edited:
OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #187
Auto rev matching is amazing in smoothing out shifts. On the c7 Corvettes it can be turned off. The Veloster n felt like it has rev matching too. It's basically the opposite of rev hang and 'matches' the RPMs to the selected gear automatically. Usually only on downshifts.

Rev hang is the unnatural pause when the rpm 'hangs' in place even though throttle isn't being applied. It's meant to increase economy. For me it causes rough shifts since the throttle is acting independently from what I'm telling it to do. Very counter intuitive although most modern manuals suffer from it to some extent.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Yup 370’s have and most Nissan owners hate it . I remember when it first came out and we were all like WTF fuck that I do not need my ECU blipping my throttle to rev match lol. Some people get it programmed out with Tunes.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #189
Yup 370’s have and most Nissan owners hate it . I remember when it first came out and we were all like WTF fuck that I do not need my ECU blipping my throttle to rev match lol. Some people get it programmed out with Tunes.
Just like Traction Control, there's good systems and bad. The c7 Corvettes rev match will do it even if you blip the throttle on a downshift, it just automatically rev matches to the RPMs for the selected gear. Doesn't feel unnatural at all even during fast shifts. Just feels like a proper smooth shift.

Lots of companies use a feature similar to rev hang that brings the rpm to a target range regardless of throttle input. That is unnatural and annoying.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #190
So I'm doing the paperwork on a blue golf r with dsg [emoji51]

Currently the 0 apr and price incentives end tomorrow, but the dealer has papers drafted with an April sales date in case the deals end. They advised me to wait in case the May incentives are even better.

Figured since it's the last R the USA gets for a couple years....

wetwea33

Currently the 0 apr and price incentives end tomorrow, but the dealer has papers drafted with an April sales date in case the deals end. They advised me to wait in case the May incentives are even better.

Congrats it's an amazing daily. If your ever looking into a turbo, the is38 hybrids can make insane power with fueling. The dbv2 is a killer option. Get the dsg tuned it makes a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #192
Congrats it's an amazing daily. If your ever looking into a turbo, the is38 hybrids can make insane power with fueling. The dbv2 is a killer option. Get the dsg tuned it makes a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks. It's coming from out of state so probably next week. Local VW dealership is an APR+ dealer. A tune+dsg flash with basic bolt ons will retain warranty. Honestly my goal is to not mod past stage 1 since a proper sports car for weekends is coming by next year. Discreet, warranty friendly speed that can fit my surfboards inside. Gosh I'm getting old lol

I'll probably hold onto the FiST and do a slow part out starting locally. Used car values are trash right now anyways.

How's the Golf R been treating you? I had one in manual for most of a year, but wound up trading it away for a ND2 Miata after buying my '16 FiST. I do wonder if I might have been more inclined to keep it if it had been a DSG.

I will say the Golf R has that air of "looks more expensive than it is", which definitely helps with a more grown-up appearance (which is funny, because I know it's completely the opposite in Europe). Luckily I'm a working professional that doesn't need to deal with customers/clients, so I drive what I want. :)

Lexus makes some fugly looking cars. I get the attraction to reliability, but they either need to tweak their spindle grill or get rid of it. Only car it works on is the LC500. The most recent update of the GS brought the styling well and truly into the “one ugly mother—“ area imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I hate to say it [doorpeek](hide), since they are considered soooo wanted, and desirable on here, but the worshiped 'cup spoilers' for our cars also lend/exacerbate some of that 'Predator' look to our rides as well. [:(]

Styling wise, it's only the front clip of the sporting Lexus coupes that I loathe, the rest of them is actually pretty sweet. [thumb]