Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fun to drive 'grown-up' car?

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #22
I really appreciate the input. While I'd love to tell judgemental people to shove it, I've noticed city officials and investors are much more willing to work with a 'professional' appearing individual vs some 'punk' in a loud, lowered car. Asking someone to invest millions in a cultivation facility or convincing an inspector you're good for your word affects my bottom line. I design and run low-impact indoor cultivation facilities. Most of the start-up money comes from industry first timers and approval often hangs on an official's opinion. Impressions matter.

Back to cars:
Probably going to stay on the lower end of my budget range, not too excited for anything grown up on the higher end.

convincing the fiance to get an Explorer ST or Defender when they come out. She wants the new bronco. We'll see... we won't need 2 SUVs.

I have to drive a genesis g70 but that looks promising. I'm really impressed with Hyundai's N cars and the Genesis brand.

Golf R I love how they drive (when they work) and I drove one with an apr turbo kit that was amazing. But I'm keeping the FiST and don't want a semi reliable 2nd hot hatch. Lots of local guys unhappy with the current gen GTIs and Rs and their random problems.

Volvo polestar. A bit out of my price range, but amazing car.

Need to drive a Toyota Avalon TRD or Camry TRD.

Mazdas are nice, but the fiance worked for their advertising company and when they consolidated she was laid off. Not exactly loyal to the brand.

Right now manufacturers are offering extremely attractive financing or leases. Do you think prices will come down in this market?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #23
Audi RS3. AWD monster with great sounding 5 cylinder engine.
The rs3 is a nice car. I would like something a little bigger than the FiST since it's not being replaced. Back to Audi's I really like the TTRS and rs5 but $$$$$

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #24
Forget all that. Get a slightly used XJ. Callum’s design is timeless.
Barring that, an E63 wagon. Or a Giulia. Finally, an unmolested GTI.
I am really looking into an e63 wagon. Just nervous when I see new ones over $106,000 then a 2 year old one for $65,000. Are they ticking time bombs? The guilia I'm concerned about reliability as well. Since I'm keeping the FiST another hot hatch really isn't desired

PunkST

2000 Post Club
My friend found his polestar used. And i think only paid 30k for it. He really lucked out on finding a low milage trade in. Even a non polestar is a solid performing car.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #26
Oh ya can pick one of those up used low miles in good shape for around 17k No need to pay $34k for a new one. Nothing really has changed on them in the last ten years. Lol
I was literally having this discussion with Booster last night. Seeing as I am a RWD car guy first and I am planning on offing my M3 anyways. It was a thought. He is quite interested in one for the very reasons you stated. Put the car on a diet and get it down to to around 2900 lbs it would be pretty damn fun. Of course the looks are polarizing for some. I would never buy one new at this stage though. I would plunk down the extra money for Supra. Lol or get a used Cayman.
Though I think he is looking more towards a sedate 4 door type vehicle. Which is way I would never recommend a Golf R like I joked about before but is kinda true he lives in Huntington Beach its kind of a seen be seen place with lots of flash. You either go baller or go conservative nice. Too sporty might not present the image he is after again something else I joked about because he is in the fricken pot business. Lol
Exactly. I'm going for a sedate looking 4 door. In Huntington Beach/OC/LA a brand new range Rover or g wagon on 24" wheels would simply fit in. On PCH I've seen matching his/hers Lamborghini's, M4s and G wagons cruising together on PCH. I have neither the desire nor the means to be that glamorous.

I just need something professional/nice looking without being offensive. And it has to be fun to drive. But I could live with an automatic [emoji56]

This car won't be modded and hopefully I'll be able to focus on the FiST more and finally get around to my s280 kit.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #27
My friend found his polestar used. And i think only paid 30k for it. He really lucked out on finding a low milage trade in. Even a non polestar is a solid performing car.
What year though? I'm looking for newer as this car will definitely be professional appearance over performance.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #28
Just lose the tint and the stickers and I wager it reads like a sporty hatch rather than a fuckboi-mobile.
I've thought about it. But I have nice llumar ceramic tint, I actually use my roof rack that has the fairing with all the stickers on it and my ITG intake is pretty loud. Not really into spending money on undoing mods when I'd rather get another vehicle and really mod the FiST. I have an s280 waiting so grown up is something it will not be.

pixelzombie

Mazda6 Grand Touring with the 2.5l turbo. Zero outward indicators that it has 250hp/310tq compared to the 187hp/186tq standard engine. Looks good as hell and has Mazda's focus on driving dynamics.

I'd personally start there.
I had a 2004 Mazda 3 hatchback and it was a fantastic vehicle. I've never driven the Mazda 6, but I do admire them when I see them on the roads. Hopefully you have the chance to take one for a test drive as they are well made and designed.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I am really looking into an e63 wagon. Just nervous when I see new ones over $106,000 then a 2 year old one for $65,000. Are they ticking time bombs? The guilia I'm concerned about reliability as well. Since I'm keeping the FiST another hot hatch really isn't desired

Italian and reliability? LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't read all the comments but did anyone mention a Jetta GLI? Seems like it fits all the criteria; comes in manual or auto and, with as much as you are willing to spend, you can get the top of the line model (and still be way under budget).

EDIT: In my personal opinion (I can't stress this enough) there is a certain stigma attached to BMW/Mercedes owners as well. I can completely understand your concerns about making a good impression to perspective clients. I would also assume your "clients" would include potential investors as well as state/local government officials? I think you would want a nice, clean vehicle which is well maintained and "middle class." As opposed to a vehicle which could be viewed as a status symbol. Where I come from (suburban Houston, Texas) and where I am now (active duty military) BMWs, Mercedes, and to a lesser extent Volvos are most definitely viewed as a status symbol.

Last edited:
OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #34
Didn't read all the comments but did anyone mention a Jetta GLI? Seems like it fits all the criteria; comes in manual or auto and, with as much as you are willing to spend, you can get the top of the line model (and still be way under budget).

EDIT: In my personal opinion (I can't stress this enough) there is a certain stigma attached to BMW/Mercedes owners as well. I can completely understand your concerns about making a good impression to perspective clients. I would also assume your "clients" would include potential investors as well as state/local government officials? I think you would want a nice, clean vehicle which is well maintained and "middle class." As opposed to a vehicle which could be viewed as a status symbol. Where I come from (suburban Houston, Texas) and where I am now (active duty military) BMWs, Mercedes, and to a lesser extent Volvos are most definitely viewed as a status symbol.
I was really looking into a 25th anniversary edition gli. They are very affordable. But I'm not 100% sold on how it looks or the cheap interior. Along with VW reliability on their performance models.... Still a consideration. Also afraid I'd want to mod it.

In southern California, BMWs and Mercedes are just as numerous as any other car. AMG and M models aside, one wouldn't be too flashy at all.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #35
So I just realized I'm not going to be able to test drive anything at the dealers for a while. This is annoying, but given the current situation, understandable

I was really looking into a 25th anniversary edition gli. They are very affordable. But I'm not 100% sold on how it looks or the cheap interior. Along with VW reliability on their performance models.... Still a consideration. Also afraid I'd want to mod it.

In southern California, BMWs and Mercedes are just as numerous as any other car. AMG and M models aside, one wouldn't be too flashy at all.

I don't want to get into an argument or anything but, I think you should qualify your statement as being the part of SoCal that you primarily live and work in. I am certain there aren't anywhere close to as many "luxury" European cars in SoCal as your run of the mill Toyotas/Hondas/GMs/Fords. My last duty station was in the Eastbay area (Fairfield, CA) and I can assure you that outside Silicon Valley, SF proper, and Berkley luxury cars are simply that; a luxury.

Again, not trying to start an argument, just food for thought if your image is a factor in your buying decision.

Mikey456

I really appreciate the input. While I'd love to tell judgemental people to shove it, I've noticed city officials and investors are much more willing to work with a 'professional' appearing individual vs some 'punk' in a loud, lowered car. Asking someone to invest millions in a cultivation facility or convincing an inspector you're good for your word affects my bottom line. I design and run low-impact indoor cultivation facilities. Most of the start-up money comes from industry first timers and approval often hangs on an official's opinion. Impressions matter.

Back to cars:
Probably going to stay on the lower end of my budget range, not too excited for anything grown up on the higher end.

convincing the fiance to get an Explorer ST or Defender when they come out. She wants the new bronco. We'll see... we won't need 2 SUVs.

I have to drive a genesis g70 but that looks promising. I'm really impressed with Hyundai's N cars and the Genesis brand.

Golf R I love how they drive (when they work) and I drove one with an apr turbo kit that was amazing. But I'm keeping the FiST and don't want a semi reliable 2nd hot hatch. Lots of local guys unhappy with the current gen GTIs and Rs and their random problems.

Volvo polestar. A bit out of my price range, but amazing car.

Need to drive a Toyota Avalon TRD or Camry TRD.

Mazdas are nice, but the fiance worked for their advertising company and when they consolidated she was laid off. Not exactly loyal to the brand.

Right now manufacturers are offering extremely attractive financing or leases. Do you think prices will come down in this market?

Have you thought about a Tesla Model 3? Maybe you can do a lease on a car and right it off as a business expense.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #38
I don't want to get into an argument or anything but, I think you should qualify your statement as being the part of SoCal that you primarily live and work in. I am certain there aren't anywhere close to as many "luxury" European cars in SoCal as your run of the mill Toyotas/Hondas/GMs/Fords. My last duty station was in the Eastbay area (Fairfield, CA) and I can assure you that outside Silicon Valley, SF proper, and Berkley luxury cars are simply that; a luxury.

Again, not trying to start an argument, just food for thought if your image is a factor in your buying decision.
Understood. Yes I was referring to my location in Orange County and Los Angeles county. There are more Tesla's than Prius. More Range Rovers and g wagons than Suburbans. Just the way it is [emoji1745]

This car is going to be mostly about appearance. Nice, professional and fun to drive without being gaudy. But I may have started this thread at the wrong time since scheduling test drives isn't the easiest with covid19 restrictions.

My top pics are currently
Used g70
Avalon TRD
BMW 340i
Used E63 wagon

Not really into Mazdas. Need to familiarize myself with Acuras and Honda's a little more. I'd rather drive a fully loaded car than a bare bones luxury brand.

Brianmc27

w

Travis AFB!
To be fair, Fairfield is a sh*thole - that’s why there are no nice cars there. Drive closer to Davis and Sacramento and they become more common.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #40
Thankfully, my 2012 Ducati has been nothing but reliable. Has 53k miles on the clock currently.
I miss my 749 dark. Beautiful bike. Italian motorcycle reliability is a bit better than Italian car reliability.