Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fun to drive 'grown-up' car?

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #121
I guess they are finally starting to mark down the Ford rangers.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Massive markdowns on rangers at the bottom and top trim levels. Also f150 4x4 XLTs were listed 20%below MSRP. Not really in the market for a truck yet but still tempting. Building a rousch/raptor ranger would be fun but not really what I'm trying to accomplish here

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Massive markdowns on rangers at the bottom and top trim levels. Also f150 4x4 XLTs were listed 20%below MSRP. Not really in the market for a truck yet but still tempting. Building a rousch/raptor ranger would be fun but not really what I'm trying to accomplish here

After owning a few I’m personally never going back to a truck. I’ll be the guy with a small trailer attached to a fun car forever. Cars are just so much more rewarding to drive and I don’t load things in the bed often enough to sacrifice that. Let us know what you end up choosing and post pics!

the duke

After owning a few I’m personally never going back to a truck. I’ll be the guy with a small trailer attached to a fun car forever. Cars are just so much more rewarding to drive and I don’t load things in the bed often enough to sacrifice that. Let us know what you end up choosing and post pics!
Lies

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #125
Well if I got a truck or a different car than a hatchback I'd keep the FiST. Definitely not driving a grown up car full time unless it's a golf r

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
One of the very few 'trucks' I'd like to own. [wink] [driving]

Now, if Ford ever did a 2 door, single cab, as light as they could build it, manual, Ranger Raptor, that would be the other one!
But of course, I'd have a better chance of winning a billion dollar lottery TWICE than that ever happening, LOL

I know this isn't been mentioned (I just read the whole thread lol) and it's a little out of left field, but how about a Flex Ecoboost?
3.6L V6TT, 365 hp, AWD, leather, heated/cooled seats, very understated. And you only have to deal with one service department for parts lol.
My wife dailies a Flex and I think it's pretty cool. Grown up looking, but still has a bit of a punch for a refrigerator on wheels.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
One of the very few 'trucks' I'd like to own. [wink] [driving]

Now, if Ford ever did a 2 door, single cab, as light as they could build it, manual, Ranger Raptor, that would be the other one!
But of course, I'd have a better chance of winning a billion dollar lottery TWICE than that ever happening, LOL
Get a G8 GXP and do a mild conversion. I think the badge is an additional $15 or so.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Well if I got a truck or a different car than a hatchback I'd keep the FiST. Definitely not driving a grown up car full time unless it's a golf r

I think you lost your focus here. If your “riced” FiST is not sufficiently grown-up (and there are quite a few of us with gray hair driving those), then switching over to an R isn’t going to make you look “grown up” (whatever THAT means to you).

Unless you are a rancher or live in TX, driving a truck won’t deliver the message you’re after, either. You want a sedan/wagon preferably with some cachet (you know, grown up). A 2yo Benz will fit that bill; a GLE or a CLA45. You can find a CPO low mileage MB without any trouble, and they depreciate rapidly in the first couple of years. I would be partial to a XJ (even an older one, especially in the R trim - to come off as a grown up sophisticate).

When you DO grow up a bit more tho, you’ll learn to not give a shit about people who make judgement about you based on the car that you drive. I have a few - but you’ll see me mostly driving my flared out FiST festooned with stickers. Quite juvenile.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Been po
I know this isn't been mentioned (I just read the whole thread lol) and it's a little out of left field, but how about a Flex Ecoboost?
3.6L V6TT, 365 hp, AWD, leather, heated/cooled seats, very understated. And you only have to deal with one service department for parts lol.
My wife dailies a Flex and I think it's pretty cool. Grown up looking, but still has a bit of a punch for a refrigerator on wheels.

Been Pondering a Flex myself. I like the wagon like look and it comes in the limited/TITANIUM Twin Turboed with AWD. Can get one for pretty cheap also now that they are no longer being made with low miles.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #135
I think you lost your focus here. If your “riced” FiST is not sufficiently grown-up (and there are quite a few of us with gray hair driving those), then switching over to an R isn’t going to make you look “grown up” (whatever THAT means to you).

Unless you are a rancher or live in TX, driving a truck won’t deliver the message you’re after, either. You want a sedan/wagon preferably with some cachet (you know, grown up). A 2yo Benz will fit that bill; a GLE or a CLA45. You can find a CPO low mileage MB without any trouble, and they depreciate rapidly in the first couple of years. I would be partial to a XJ (even an older one, especially in the R trim - to come off as a grown up sophisticate).

When you DO grow up a bit more tho, you’ll learn to not give a shit about people who make judgement about you based on the car that you drive. I have a few - but you’ll see me mostly driving my flared out FiST festooned with stickers. Quite juvenile.
I appreciate the input, but unless you work in the cannabis industry, it's hard to relate to the scrutiny and stereotypes that persevere. We have to jump through hoops to do business, still can't bank and many city officials view us as illegitimate business. I've had city officials refuse to sign off on plans and fail inspection even though zoning and building was up to code. Also had potential investors back out when our previous consultant would pull up in his fast n furious modded Civic type r. Having a facility get denied costs investors (my bosses)tens of thousands to millions of dollars. I only get paid when facilities are up and running so I'm motivated to make sure that happens.

At the end of last year I started driving my boss' Tesla to meetings and making sure everyone else's car and appearance was more PC. Guess what? Higher success rate and went from opening 2 facilities in 18 months to opening or getting approved another 4 facilities in 4 months. I literally doubled my income and it's still rising. Going to continue down the path of professional appearance for these meetings. It's literally paying off.

The golf r would remain stock appearing and warranty in tact so no risk of it looking or sounding too fast n furious. As for trucks? In southern California a truck or SUV is very commonplace on the roads and many use them purely as commuters/grocery getters. Would prefer a car and hopefully Toyota, Honda and Hyundai will be easier to deal with post covid19.

After driving a cla AMG [emoji1418] lol. I would not consider any cla 'fun to drive'. I don't need the car to ooze success or have badge envy, just look grown up(discreet) and be fun to drive. And while I'm ok with a golf r, I would prefer a bigger car than a compact if I go that route.

With covid19 all my in-person meetings have been cancelled and dealerships are closing their sales departments. Unlikely I'll be getting a new car in the next few weeks anyways.

Mikey456

If you are still considering a hatch alternative, Mercedes has the AMG A35. I also have been receiving ads from BMW that you can purchase or lease online. I just don’t know how it works without visiting the dealer???

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #137
If you are still considering a hatch alternative, Mercedes has the AMG A35. I also have been receiving ads from BMW that you can purchase or lease online. I just don’t know how it works without visiting the dealer???
The dealerships that are open basically operate like vroom or carvana. Some have contactless test drives but only certain cars not every model/trim. It's like ordering anything else online, except it's an expensive car lol.

pixelzombie

I had a '99 Passat, a nice car with the smoothest manual transmission I've ever tried. What I didn't like was VW was VERY sneaky when it came to getting out of the recall for the front control arms. They would only honor the recall if the vehicle owner could prove the factory maintenance was done. It turns out the control arms had no serviceable parts that needed to be checked or greased in any manner.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I will also mention both the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade. Pretty much almost identical.....But with little subtle differences. Good drivetrain and decent mileage. Most likely good paint! Yes please!