Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fun to drive 'grown-up' car?

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #167
Not if you don't like DSG and want 3 pedals.
To be honest if I'm replacing the fist it'd be something faster that could put down more power. The R and GTI manuals wear out pretty quick with even stock power levels. Even a warranty friendly apr+ tune is recommended for dsg only. I'd also prefer a dsg for commuting since traffic takes me 60-90minutes to go 30 miles on the 405.

Still not sold on replacing the FiST though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Not if you don't like DSG and want 3 pedals.
I only drive manuals, but DSG is excellent. Not liking it is just like not liking some food. It’s quicker with DSG, too. Heck, Ferrari is no longer offering manuals. Porsche is vacillating, but will soon fall on the same side of the fence completely. My Jeep has paddles - I suppose for when I get nostalgic about selecting my own gears. I disabled them. Some dual clutch trannys are horrible - bimmer SMG is an example. VW DSG or PDK are very good.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Volvo s60r polestar. 😉
Awd. T6. Six speed auto. Stupidly fast.
^^^THIS!
Or the Polestar wagon.

If you don't opt for that sharp Cyan/Rebel blue color, or whatever they call it nowadays, (which I LOVE and would have to get if I could afford one), it is abjectly; staid enough, conservative enough, and "grown up"<-SIC enough to placate, and not 'offend' the most uptight, 'white bread' type investors out there! [wink]

Last edited:

PunkST

2000 Post Club
^^^THIS!
Or the Polestar wagon.

If you don't opt for that sharp blue/aqua/whatever they call it, color (which I LOVE and would have to get if I could afford one), it is abjectly; staid enough, conservative enough, and "grown up"<-SIC enough to placate, and not 'offend' the most uptight, 'white bread' type investors out there! [wink]
Look up trollmoose on instagram. Thats my friend's white s60 t6 polestar. The car is scary quick.

I only drive manuals, but DSG is excellent. Not liking it is just like not liking some food. It’s quicker with DSG, too. Heck, Ferrari is no longer offering manuals. Porsche is vacillating, but will soon fall on the same side of the fence completely. My Jeep has paddles - I suppose for when I get nostalgic about selecting my own gears. I disabled them. Some dual clutch trannys are horrible - bimmer SMG is an example. VW DSG or PDK are very good.

It is really good, PDK is arguably the best, but for me they take a huge part of the fun out of the car. 3 pedals or bust for me on a fun car.

If you plan for the clutch costs on the MK7's GTI's and R's its worth it for me.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #175
It is really good, PDK is arguably the best, but for me they take a huge part of the fun out of the car. 3 pedals or bust for me on a fun car.

If you plan for the clutch costs on the MK7's GTI's and R's its worth it for me.
Exactly. Knowing a few GTI owners the manuals actually cost more in maintenance than the DSG. Especially when pushing higher power an updated clutch is needed ($$$). A stage 1 GTI can easily get it's clutch overwhelmed by the power and they wear down fast.

I really like the dsg, pdk and Ferrari transmissions. Anything else with paddles outside of the VW group or Ferrari just doesn't feel as polished.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

wetwea33

BMW smg is not a dual clutch. Their actual dual clutch transmissions are great.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club

Right you are. Indeed - sequential manual, before the dual clutches. But - a good bad example of a “clutch automatic”

wetwea33

Right you are. Indeed - sequential manual, before the dual clutches. But - a good bad example of a “clutch automatic”
It's a single clutch box tho and all single clutched boxes were super slow and had rough shifts. Most modern dual clutches are nothing like that.

I never said that it was. Early SMG, Ferrari and Maserati F1' trans were not DSG and they basically sucked 90% of the time. Even the early VAG DSG cars drove much better.

My point was I would still prefer even a mediocre 3 pedal trans over even the best new PDK/DSG, AMG auto or whatever car. I don't care if I am slower than the robot, I am more fun than the robot.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I feel the same way. When DCT transmissions started replacing manuals in performance cars, I had read from the start that one of their supposed advantages was that they can shift microscopically faster than a person can.
I don't care, I'd rather do it myself. I'm not racing the car where hundredths of a second might make a difference. I enjoy the greater control of being able to shift it myself.

Ford Community Posts