Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Funny oil reviews.....

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I was reading reviews on the Castrol Edge With Titanium, the following statements are examples on why I rely on independent testing not "opinions". Have a good chuckle!

Not every engine likes synthetic so make sure before using. (do you ask the Oil filter or dipstick?)

oil is oil (brilliant!)

My car felt much stronger with this oil (damn....free horsepower?)

I open the oil plug from down to drain the oil out there was almost 1/4 of oil so I believe that the dealer didn’t add enough oil because my warranty just has been expired. (huh?)

Well, you know, it's oil. Pours easily out of the jug. Good price. (damn good reason to buy it!)

The engine warms up faster during the winter, around 3 minutes rather than waiting for 6 or 7 minutes (switched from Valvoline syn to Castrol Edge Syn both 10w-40)

I have almost 500,000 miles on my car with no engine problems. Being using this oil since my car was new. Wont use any other kind. (From 3/2019, s-l400.jpg sure puts a hell of a lot of miles on a car....Castrol Edge with Titanium is pretty new)

2.4 honda runs lower idle and more power at that range and doesnt stall out as easy and the gear switching seams smoother. (It's a miracle!)

The thing about a lot of these outlandish sounding claims is that they COULD be true. You have no way of knowing what type of shape the motor is in, and in all likelihood they rate talking out of their asses, but with how efficient synthetic oils are at cleaning gunk out of the oil galleys and bearings there is a possibility that it could help an engine that has been neglected to run better than it had been.

That said, Amazon’s review section is always good for a chuckle in just about any product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I FIND YOUR SERIOUSNESS TOWARDS THE TOPIC OF OIL MORE FUNNY THEN ANY OF THESE COMMENTS

OIL IS OIL. COUNTLESS CARS, MIXING OIL WEIGHTS TYPES AND THIS AND THAT FOREVER

NEVER HAD AN ISSUE

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Oil is not oil. Watch the project farm channel on YouTube where he has tested oil after oil against each other. It is very interesting to see the differences with the lubricity tester, cold flow and how much oil gets evaporated off from heat.

Project farm is my favorite YouTube channel I watch every video he makes. He buys everything himself zero sponsorships.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I FIND YOUR SERIOUSNESS TOWARDS THE TOPIC OF OIL MORE FUNNY THEN ANY OF THESE COMMENTS

OIL IS OIL. COUNTLESS CARS, MIXING OIL WEIGHTS TYPES AND THIS AND THAT FOREVER

NEVER HAD AN ISSUE
As long as you are using the appropriate API Service classification, it likely doesn't matter. Current engine technologies generally require API service SN, as long as you use an oil meeting that spec you aren't going to notice a difference. Although Service Spec SP was introduced earlier this year to aid with turbocharged vehicles and the temps they see, so it may be wise to look for oils with that classification.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
SO YOU USE WHATEVER OIL YOU WANT. I DO WHATEVER I WANT CAUSE OIL IS OIL

NEITHER OF US HAVE ENGINE PROBLEMS......PROVE ME WRONG

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
As long as you are using the appropriate API Service classification, it likely doesn't matter. Current engine technologies generally require API service SN, as long as you use an oil meeting that spec you aren't going to notice a difference. Although Service Spec SP was introduced earlier this year to aid with turbocharged vehicles and the temps they see, so it may be wise to look for oils with that classification.

100% PEOPLE LOOSE SLEEP OVER THIS TOPIC SO MUCH FOR NO REASON

I DON'T TALK POLITICS, OIL, OR COVID LOL WE WILL ALL NEVER AGREE

I run Ravenol SFE 5W-20 in the winter and Amsoil Signature 5W-30 in the summer for a reason. Both oils have superior film strength and maintain their viscosity throughout the service interval. I've ran nearly every oil under the sun and had each tested by Blackstone. Castrol and Pennzoil are great for the money, but if you want the best protection for your engine, run some of your own tests and use what you think is best.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I take a slightly different tact by running Ravenol year 'round, but their DXG 5W-30 in the winter (it's a very 'thin' 5W-30 @ 3.1 HTHSV [wink]), and their slightly thicker RSP 5W-30 (3.5 HTHSV) in the summer heat.

Both of these oils have at or below a 7.0 NOACK volatility rating, which I consider critical in LSPI and intake valve deposit prone turbo direct injection engines.

Yes, that Signature Series 5W-30 also has a very low NOACK number as well (7.2). [thumb]

BTW; The Ravenol GFE 5w-20 is the ONLY Ravenol oil in their lineup which fully meets our Ford 945 oil spec, but it does have over a 10 NOACK number. [:(]

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
^^^I take a slightly different tact by running Ravenol year 'round, but their DXG 5W-30 in the winter (it's a very 'thin' 5W-30 @ 3.1 HTHSV [wink]), and their slightly thicker RSP 5W-30 (3.5 HTHSV) in the summer heat.

Both of these oils have at or below a 7.0 NOACK volatility rating, which I consider critical in LSPI and intake valve deposit prone turbo direct injection engines.

Yes, that Signature Series 5W-30 also has a very low NOACK number as well (7.2). [thumb]

BTW; The Ravenol GFE 5w-20 is the ONLY Ravenol oil in their lineup which fully meets our Ford 945 oil spec, but it does have over a 10 NOACK number. [:(]
I have thought about trying The DXG 5W30.

Would you consider that the best overall oil in your opinion?
I normally use Pennzoil Platinum.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have thought about trying The DXG 5W30.

Would you consider that the best overall oil in your opinion?
I normally use Pennzoil Platinum.

That is really hard to say, almost impossible, given all of the hundreds of variables of each individual's setup, driving conditions, mods, etc., etc. even within our platform/community.

PennzPlat is a great oil, no doubt, and if you are not open tracking it every weekend in the summer, (some on here would say even if you ARE! LOL) is just fine. [thumb]

I just like the extra 'head room' the Ravenol oils give, and the DXG is Dexos 1 Gen 2 compliant (they won't even have to reformulate it for the latest/greatest API, or otherwise specs, since it already exceeds those by FAR), has a really low NOACK, has some very high tech/cutting edge anti-friction and anti-wear additives, and use super premium, group 4 and 5 base stocks, and is less coin than most of the 'boutique' oils out there (Amsoil, Red Line, JG Driven, Torco, etc.), especially when you buy it on Blauparts' sales/discount coupons, albeit yes, still more than the 5 quart jugs on the Wally's shelves.[wink]

Last edited: