Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Gearshift Movement in FirST

Did some looking around and didn't find much on the subject, leading me to believe it's not normal or just goes unnoticed. Does anyone else have a wobbly shifter when the car is moving in first gear? I'm not terribly worried about it since no one spends much time in first and 2-6 are solid. Thanks guys!

Do you have a stock rear motor mount? Or an old upgraded one? I noticed gear selector movement going between on/off throttle a few weeks ago and the culprit was a dying RMM. I swapped it and the issue went away.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Business6

I've had this going in mine since i picked it up with 27k miles. I have an AWR mount waiting to be installed but never the time (or non-injured body) to get to it

OP
HysteriaFiST
Thread Starter #4
Do you have a stock rear motor mount? Or an old upgraded one? I noticed gear selector movement going between on/off throttle a few weeks ago and the culprit was a dying RMM. I swapped it and the issue went away.

I have a COBB RMM that was installed about 25k miles ago so that should still be good.

OP
HysteriaFiST
Thread Starter #5
I've had this going in mine since i picked it up with 27k miles. I have an AWR mount waiting to be installed but never the time (or non-injured body) to get to it
Glad to hear it’s not just me! I do have an aftermarket RMM in already though.

I have a COBB RMM that was installed about 25k miles ago so that should still be good.
That's what I had, and about how long mine lasted. But I also track my car so that probably didn't help. I'm not getting movement in first now with a Whoosh RMM.

OP
HysteriaFiST
Thread Starter #7
That's what I had, and about how long mine lasted. But I also track my car so that probably didn't help. I'm not getting movement in first now with a Whoosh RMM.

Good to know! My FiST has seen quite a few laps around the Nurburgring so that would make sense. I'll be checking my RMM and possibly purcashing a Whoosh RMM. Thanks for the info!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The gear shift lever must be tied to the transmission so that both move in sync. Allowing the engine/transmission to move around without the shifter, would allow the distance between the shifter and transmission/engine to change. This would cause many issues including, having the shifter pop out of gear with engine/trans movement.

All that said, I have not noticed any movement of my shifter. If you're noticing significant movement, I would inspect the engine/trans mounts. IIRC vaguely recall someone here mentioning that they found a busted passenger side engine mount.

OP
HysteriaFiST
Thread Starter #9
The gear shift lever must be tied to the transmission so that both move in sync. Allowing the engine/transmission to move around without the shifter, would allow the distance between the shifter and transmission/engine to change. This would cause many issues including, having the shifter pop out of gear with engine/trans movement.

All that said, I have not noticed any movement of my shifter. If you're noticing significant movement, I would inspect the engine/trans mounts. IIRC vaguely recall someone here mentioning that they found a busted passenger side engine mount.
I have yet to inspect the mounts... but if that were the case, wouldn’t there be movement in all gears not just 1st?

HBEcoBeaST

Check your mounts. My psmm failed and was causing a lot of shifter movement mostly in 1st,. 2nd, 5th and 6th. 1st and 5th were the worst. After upgrading to new OEM mounts + powerflex inserts it solved the problem

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
+1 for engine mounts. Could also be the shifter bushings possibly. The bushings are more unlikely since its segregated to first gear though.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I have yet to inspect the mounts... but if that were the case, wouldn’t there be movement in all gears not just 1st?
The mounts experience the most torque while the engine is trying to overcome inertial resistance from being stopped. If they do fail, it's typically (not always) the result of a clutch-drop, or bad shift. I'm not saying that one or more are definitely bad, just that you'll want to inspect them in order to make that determination for yourself.

My sons car has this issue. Only 2k miles. Brand new 2019. You can feel it in the shift handle only in first gear.

Getting it looked at next week by ford under warranty. Will update once I hear from them.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Jerks at the dealerships joy ride; even just pulling them off the truck. Many years ago and a prior vehicle, caught one hook-sliding around the parking lot a vehicle I had in to check out an airbag light.

Did they ever figure it out?
I took a ride with the tech and he saw what I was talking about but said it was normal...checked the TSB's and said there was nothing...they did note it in the system that we have complained about it, so if it gets worse it is documented. They also printed that out for our records.