Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

GEM/BCM Clicking & Body Control Issues - HELP?

xxiaze

Hey so, for a while now I’ve had some mysterious car symptoms like when I roll up my window it rejects auto up randomly even after reprogramming the window heights. I’ve had the second push lock from FOB stop chirping, and brake lights slightly flickering (this could just be junk bulb) also, recently I began hearing an audible and consistently timed ticking/clicking aprox every 10 seconds. This ticking/clicking was coming from the behind glovebox fuse box area. I decided to check out all of the relays with the ol screwdriver to the ear stethoscope style isolation. None of the relays were clicking in the fuse panel. Although, I put the screw driver to this box, later to be identified as the BCM/GEM. I believe that there are relays inside this unit because the clicking certainly sounds exactly like a relay. Anyways, can anyone assure me that replacing this unit will resolve the issues? Is there a proper way to diagnose this unit? I will order a FORSCAN switching cable and purchase FORSCAN. I believe I can self read the vehicles code and save the learned program for this module via FORSCAN then just replace the BCM and reprogram based off of saved programming from existing unit.... is this correct? @TDavis or another FORD tech and/or anyone else able to set me up with some more solid info?

30BBF235-0AF8-42E7-982B-EB696F25721C.jpeg

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
One thing you might try first is checking and possibly replacing your battery. I have read of all sorts of odd electrical things happening with this car when the batteries get weak. I just replaced my four-year-old one would seem to be working fine as a preventative measure, I figured five years was probably the most I was going to get out of it anyway.
As for the clicking sound, if you have not read about it, the blend door actuator is a known issue on these cars, a gear strips out in one of them and makes it sound like you are describing. I believe there are three of them, and there's a long thread on here about it with part numbers and everything.

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #3
One thing you might try first is checking and possibly replacing your battery. I have read of all sorts of odd electrical things happening with this car when the batteries get weak. I just replaced my four-year-old one would seem to be working fine as a preventative measure, I figured five years was probably the most I was going to get out of it anyway.
As for the clicking sound, if you have not read about it, the blend door actuator is a known issue on these cars, a gear strips out in one of them and makes it sound like you are describing. I believe there are three of them, and there's a long thread on here about it with part numbers and everything.
Just had my battery tested last week, battery health very good. And definitely not blend door... that is also broken and completely different sound.

I am 100% certain the BCM is clicking.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Just had my battery tested last week, battery health very good. And definitely not blend door... that is also broken and completely different sound.

I am 100% certain the BCM is clicking.
Okay, just trying to eliminate the easy things. Good luck fixing your issue, and let us know what happens.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
My drivers window will auto reject on occasion. But i have in channel visors so thats my cause. Isnt the bcm essentially a hard drive that controls stuff? Could be that its failing due to shock and vibration from driving. Couldn't the bcm come pre programmed if you give them the vin??

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #8
My drivers window will auto reject on occasion. But i have in channel visors so thats my cause. Isnt the bcm essentially a hard drive that controls stuff? Could be that its failing due to shock and vibration from driving. Couldn't the bcm come pre programmed if you give them the vin??
I’m not sure, but I would assume even if that’s the case there would be some sort of nonsense “programming fee” which I’m sure would cost as much as a FORSCAN connector and program. I’d have to buy the part from Tasca or dealer then have it go to dealer. I think they’d want to charge 75$-100$ for an hour of service.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Id ask and find out. If its next to nothing for them to program it. Might be easier.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
I will say electrical issues are not my forte, sorry man lol. Can't go wrong with the GEM at only that price though. Modules are usually much much higher

Could very well be a bad BCM (if it's the BCM you're talking about, has a bunch of fuses on it; what you have pictured is the alarm module), which requires dealer-level programming since the new one will need to register with all the other modules on the CAN network as well as your key fobs. Without being hands-on though, hard to say.

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #14
Could very well be a bad BCM (if it's the BCM you're talking about, has a bunch of fuses on it; what you have pictured is the alarm module), which requires dealer-level programming since the new one will need to register with all the other modules on the CAN network as well as your key fobs. Without being hands-on though, hard to say.
Yeah for sure it’s that unit that’s clicking inside and my alarm chirp doesn’t work... all adds up seems like. I’m pretty sure I can download it’s programming then reinstall the code via FORSCAN. I don’t have the money to do any of this yet so will prob do sometime over the winter while it’s parked for the season.

Any luck finding out what problem you were having with this? I’m having the exact same issue with my car. 2 ticks every 10 seconds non stop while the car is on. I traced it to the bcm and unplugged the green harness which stopped the ticking and threw a tpms error. Not sure where to go from here.

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #16
I haven’t bought the parts yet but the GEM/BCM is def the culprit just as you’re describing. As of now mine no longer clicks... I think the relay inside the unit finally gave out on mine. My horn no longer works when pressing the steering wheel and no chirp on FOB lock. My fix will be to buy a FORSCAN setup and download the BCM software code, which is programmed to each car individually. Save that data file to the FORSCAN software drive... buy a new BCM they’re like 120$ then program the new BCM with the saved program file from original BCM unit. I just haven’t had the funds to do this yet... my car is currently parked for winter so no rush on my end. I’m like 90% certain that will fix the issue, in my case anyways. Pretty straight forward.

I haven’t bought the parts yet but the GEM/BCM is def the culprit just as you’re describing. As of now mine no longer clicks... I think the relay inside the unit finally gave out on mine. My horn no longer works when pressing the steering wheel and no chirp on FOB lock. My fix will be to buy a FORSCAN setup and download the BCM software code, which is programmed to each car individually. Save that data file to the FORSCAN software drive... buy a new BCM they’re like 120$ then program the new BCM with the saved program file from original BCM unit. I just haven’t had the funds to do this yet... my car is currently parked for winter so no rush on my end. I’m like 90% certain that will fix the issue, in my case anyways. Pretty straight forward.
Ok thanks for the feedback this will be the same route I am going to go as the clicking is coming directly from the bcm unit. I’m going to get a Forscan setup myself shorty and hopefully mess with it on Christmas week which I have off. I found a couple YouTube videos of a guy in the uk showing how to save the bcm files and load them onto the new one using forscan. I’ll let you know after I’m done if it corrects my issues or if I run into any other issues along the way.

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #18
Ok thanks for the feedback this will be the same route I am going to go as the clicking is coming directly from the bcm unit. I’m going to get a Forscan setup myself shorty and hopefully mess with it on Christmas week which I have off. I found a couple YouTube videos of a guy in the uk showing how to save the bcm files and load them onto the new one using forscan. I’ll let you know after I’m done if it corrects my issues or if I run into any other issues along the way.
Yeah, for sure! Please do keep me posted. I’d like to know how it all plays out for you. Curious on your total cost too for FORSCAN, Cable + BCM or whatever is you ended up totally needing.

@ XXIAZE Just thought i'd give you my input. My indicators were staying on even with ignition off and alarm would go off after I activated it [aftermarket alarm]. Bought a switchablae ELM327 and dowloaded FORScan, then got a free license.
Ran FORScan and found lots of DTCs.....most relating to the BCM (Body Control Module). I got code (apart from others) U0140 and was told if this code appers then change the BCM.
I purchased a 2nd hand one off eBay.....with the same serial numbers (they differ lots). Disconnected the battery, removed the old BCM and replaced it with the 2nd hand one. Connected battery and then connected my laptop to the OBD, ran FORScan, and then loaded As Built for my vehicle from Index - FordServiceInfo.Com (motorcraftservice.com)
Followed instructions and then deleted all my DTCs. Ran FORScan again and all codes gone. Indicators and alarm works as new.

Defo your BCM,

Gaz.

OP
xxiaze

xxiaze

Thread Starter #20
@ XXIAZE Just thought i'd give you my input. My indicators were staying on even with ignition off and alarm would go off after I activated it [aftermarket alarm]. Bought a switchablae ELM327 and dowloaded FORScan, then got a free license.
Ran FORScan and found lots of DTCs.....most relating to the BCM (Body Control Module). I got code (apart from others) U0140 and was told if this code appers then change the BCM.
I purchased a 2nd hand one off eBay.....with the same serial numbers (they differ lots). Disconnected the battery, removed the old BCM and replaced it with the 2nd hand one. Connected battery and then connected my laptop to the OBD, ran FORScan, and then loaded As Built for my vehicle from Index - FordServiceInfo.Com (motorcraftservice.com)
Followed instructions and then deleted all my DTCs. Ran FORScan again and all codes gone. Indicators and alarm works as new.

Defo your BCM,

Gaz.
legendary! You’re the man! How much was grand total? Did you buy second hand off eBay?