Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Getting a fiesta - tomorrow?

Hi!

Since I'm going to be hanging out here probably more often anyway, I thought it's not a bad idea to post my first post before I get the car, and make sure that I'm not making any mistakes at this most important step!

I was going to look at this car tomorrow: https://www.hermesautosales.com/inventory/ford/fiesta/01-136851/

Any comments? Things that don't look good?
It's a first year model, but according to this thread there is no difference between 2014 and 2019, correct? https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/difference-between-years-fiesta-st-2014-2019.27788/

Maybe one question I have: What where the options for the Fiesta ST? Does this one have everything I would want?
It has the Recaro seats, has a sun roof (which I'd actually rather not have).. anything else? I guess this one doesn't have a backup camera, which I think was an option at some point?

Also, sorry if this is totally the wrong subforum, didn't know where to post this.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hard to tell with just pictures. we would need to see underneath....Under the hood. All Door seams and body seams for Rust. Don't be afraid to get a 3rd party inspection done either. It might save you from a LEmon or reveal some performance surprises!

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hi!

Since I'm going to be hanging out here probably more often anyway, I thought it's not a bad idea to post my first post before I get the car, and make sure that I'm not making any mistakes at this most important step!

I was going to look at this car tomorrow: https://www.hermesautosales.com/inventory/ford/fiesta/01-136851/

Any comments? Things that don't look good?
It's a first year model, but according to this thread there is no difference between 2014 and 2019, correct? https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/difference-between-years-fiesta-st-2014-2019.27788/

Maybe one question I have: What where the options for the Fiesta ST? Does this one have everything I would want?
It has the Recaro seats, has a sun roof (which I'd actually rather not have).. anything else? I guess this one doesn't have a backup camera, which I think was an option at some point?

Also, sorry if this is totally the wrong subforum, didn't know where to post this.
Welcome to the forum!
That fiesta looks good to me. Engine bay looks stock, which is good. Like typhoon mentioned some fiestas have rust issues at the door seams and on the hatch, so I’d check those areas. As far as features, I have and love the recaros, so it’s nice the car you’re looking at has them. Backup cameras started in 2018 (I have a 2017 😡). Hopefully one of the 2014 owners will chime in about the coolant sensor recall thing, I’m not sure what the details are but I doubt it’s a dealbreaker.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Looks decent. Somewhat related, I live about an hour a way and have a ton of spare parts if you ever need anything. Selling some performance parts too.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Looks good, well-equipped. Looks stock, which is a plus. Low miles for age. Tires look new-ish but are a Wal-Mart/Amazon/eBay tire that goes for $67 each and probably won't give you the full handling experience. There was an overheating-related recall on the 2014s but even if it hasn't been done (though I doubt it if it was regularly serviced at a Ford dealer) you can still have it done.

The problem area you can look for, as mentioned, is rust, which typically shows up on the inside seam edges of doors or hatch, and under the antenna.
Some cars with sunroofs develop a clogged drain which results in water ending up down in the trunk floor. Look for wetness down by the spare tire, inside the taillight, or a musty smell in the hatchback. Otherwise just look it over closely the way you would any used car.

The price seems a little high, even for a dealership. 6 months or a year ago, I'd have said in the current market the price looks good. But I'm seeing them go for a lot less nowadays. So I'd aim for something about $2000 less than what they are asking. But if the car is really cherry and has no problems at all, you're going to like it so much when you drive it that you're going to be willing to pay what they ask.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Here's my thread on changes through the years on the car-
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...-improvements-to-fist-through-the-years.9186/

They were similar throughout the model run, but I think it's an overstatement to say that there's no difference between the model years. Notable things for me that made me want one from '16 on were the fact that the suspension was softened somewhat to my liking, the addition of the better Sync 3 screen system, and the improved cylinder head.
As mentioned, there was a recall on some of the '14 and '15 models, basically there was a defect in the head which could cause coolant to leak and catch on fire. The recall / fix doesn't really fix the problem because it doesn't add a new cylinder head, it just adds another coolant sensor.
There weren't many options on the car, the main one was the Recaro seats which yours has. I have them also and I love them. I don't use the sunroof much, but it is nice occasionally, and I've never had an issue with it.
The price seems high, but there aren't many clean ones out there, so if you want it, I would jump on it.

OP
T
Thread Starter #8
Awesome, thanks for all the replies. Really appreciate it. Really helpful advice!

I definitely know now what to keep an eye out for, especially in terms of rust. Thanks for those comments @FiestaSTdude and @SteveS .

Thanks @Capri to ST for the model history, also very helpful and good to know!

@Jabbit : I actually also live an hour away. ;) Probably we live in the same area haha. I'll DM you!

I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow!

OP
T
Thread Starter #10
So I test drove the car yesterday, but didn't commit to anything. Looked like it was in really well condition. Didn't find any rust. And I was really amazed by the interior. Not sure how the previous owners managed to keep even the piano black plastic 100% scratch free. Only the metallic looking parts (gear knob, rims of the cup holders) were flaking off. Is that a typical problem? Everything else looked great!

The only thing I didn't like was a type of sound I heard coming from the engine. I took some videos and was hoping someone here would recognize the sound and maybe could tell me what's up with that. I know, it's asking for a lot haha. It's especially noticeable in the video where I put my phone outside the window. Hard to hear with my phone speakers, but with headphones or on my computer I can hear it pretty clearly. It's kind of a whirring sound, I think mostly between 2 and 3k rpm. Any chance anyone can take a guess what's up with that?

Attachments

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Nothing sounds out of place. I think you're hearing the turbo whoosh.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
The sound on the outside video I think is a clutch/transmission noise. Our car has always made a sound like that when first engaging the clutch since new. Normal.

I couldn't really hear anything unusual in the other two videos.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
The sound on the outside video I think is a clutch/transmission noise. Our car has always made a sound like that when first engaging the clutch since new. Normal.
Same here.

OP
T
Thread Starter #14
Hi,

Thanks for the comments! That sounds pretty reassuring. And I am tempted to go there tomorrow and just get the car.

I'm still a little nervous about the sound I described though. @XR650R I have to admit I actually might have never driven a car with a turbo, but what I'm hearing is not a whoosh or whistle - maybe it's a low rpm turbo sound that seems weird to me? All my previous cars were manuals, so it wouldn't be an unfamiliar sound because of that, if that's what you're getting at @SteveS. I mostly heard the sound when the clutch was fully released (revving the motor), but also when it was fully engaged. It didn't really coincide with either releasing or engaging the clutch.

I hope I'm not being annoying, but here's one last test: I cut one of the videos to be 2 sec long so that it's only that noise. It's not the deeper motor sound I'm talking about, but the slightly higher pitched ringing/whirring. Really doesn't sound strange to you guys?

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
T
Thread Starter #16
Soo, I got the car on Monday!

Didn't get it for much cheaper, but oh well. Showing up at the same dealer twice for the same car, doesn't put you in the best position to work on the price haha. (Which is why I already tried to get it down last Friday, but also didn't get far.) There definitely wasn't a better ST in a 400 mile radius, so that's OK.

Had more time to test drive it this time. Like I said, I never had a turbo before, but it's awesome! It's a weird feel that I still have to get used to. I kept redlining, because it was pretty counter intuitive to upshift when there's still so much power haha.

Still a little nervous about that sound which I kept noticing while test driving, but I decided to trust you guys and just go for it. ;)

Excited to pick it up next week!

Last edited:
OP
T
Thread Starter #17
One thing that bothered me about the fiesta I just bought were the panel gaps around the head lights. I though that can't be right.. but oh well, can't expect everything to be perfect.

But now that I keep looking at pictures online. This seems to the case in all pictures I find. E.g. here: https://www.fiestastforum.com/attachments/img_8253-jpeg.44067/
I'm talking about the front of the headlight where the front bumper panel basically touches the headlight. But the hood has a clear panel gap. Is it actually intended to be that way, or is Ford really that bad with panel gaps?

OP
T
Thread Starter #19
The gap around the hood seems like a healthy amount of panel gap. It's more the corner of the bumper that touches the headlights that seems off.

I guess what I'm trying to say though is that I'm actually glad it's not a problem with the car I bought, and that it seems to be 'normal'. :)