Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Getting fix0rzed

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Folks don't total cars. Insurance companies do. It's generally a pretty cut and dried affair. I've dealt with this several times in my life, and it has never taken this long for the decision to be made. Two times I had the vehicle taken to a body shop, the body shop made the estimate, which was higher than the percentage of resale value, and it was totaled. Took a day. The only haggling was over how much my vehicle had been worth before the wreck. The third time the insurance company sent an adjuster to the wrecker yard the day after it was towed, and it was totaled that day. All they do is start adding up parts and labor and if they hit their predetermined amount, it's totaled.

In your case, the holdup appears to be the insurance company isn't sure if there is hidden damge and is waiting for a body shop to take things apart before adding up the repair costs. Part of this may be due to the higher value of a used Fiesta ST compared to another small car of the same age and mileage. If it had been a Fiesta SE or base, they probably would have already totaled it because the value they needed to hit was only $4000 or maybe even less. Since a Fiesta ST, even used, is often worth $14,000 or $15,000, it's harder to total it because the exorbitant repair costs may still come in under the limit.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #84
It will be getting an aftermarket oe radiator. Which if it has a cooling issue. Ill pick up a bigger mishimoto or ome of the other nice massive ones.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Btw told the shop to leave the front plate bracket off. Ill make a custom bracket if ive got to for the legal eagle types.
Front plates Are stupid....Period. When you get pulled over .....how do they run your plates? From the Rear....they could save so much money and material just using rear plates. One plate....one sticker....cripes! Mn has a bunch of morons running the show I tell ya!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #93
So finally an update on magikarp.

Its delayed till monday due to the following.

2015 ST evap purge line on back order.
ST specific radiator fan assembly on backorder ( hopefully arriving on monday as well)
Parts department at Les Stumpf ( where the shop ordered parts from) sent a chrome base model grille instead of the ST grille🙄.

Lets hope the correct parts arrive.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #94
Monday update:
Local dealership is still waiting for the parts, leaving both the shop fixing my car, and me. Stuck in a very annoying holding pattern. Its a shame i couldnt have been there to have the insurance company order one of the aftermarket radiator upgrades that comes with its own shroud. Car probably would have been done by now. 😞.

Any one know why ford has such a huge wait time and everything has to be made before getting it now?? Used to just be a 1 day turn around on bigger parts. And they had loads of parts in warehouses.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'd tell my Insurance company to tell the ferd dealer to hold that part and order the aftermarket market setup. I've done it before if they aren't really coming through.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Any one know why ford has such a huge wait time and everything has to be made before getting it now?? Used to just be a 1 day turn around on bigger parts. And they had loads of parts in warehouses.
I think we can blame the "just in time" style of inventory management. Why carry stock that may never get used when you can just cheaply order it in? Unfortunately, when every step up the chain uses the same system somebody upstream is stuck with a bunch of inventory (or if nobody has inventory, waiting on the manufacturer to make more). Spare parts for this car can be hard to find and I do not see getting replacement do-dads even being possible in the near future.

FJ16

Its a shame i couldnt have been there to have the insurance company order one of the aftermarket radiator upgrades that comes with its own shroud.
Why couldn't you? Did the insurance company pay the shop directly instead of you? That's always a bad deal honestly; have them cut you the check and you can rebuild it or have it rebuilt as you see fit.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Why couldn't you? Did the insurance company pay the shop directly instead of you? That's always a bad deal honestly; have them cut you the check and you can rebuild it or have it rebuilt as you see fit.
Except body shops typically always find more damage. Geico underestimated a repair by $2,000. Anyway the body shop was paid directly no problem on my end.
Also maybe depending on the state, but where I live if you still owe money on the car the insurance company wants to pay the body shop directly sometimes that's a requirement. North Carolina where I live you don't get the title to the car until it's paid off.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

FJ16

Except body shops typically always find more damage.
Hasn't been my experience at all, but everyone has their situations.
where I live if you still owe money on the car the insurance company wants to pay the body shop directly sometimes that's a requirement. North Carolina where I live you don't get the title to the car until it's paid off.
Having the tile has had zero effect on being paid (in my experience); the money goes to the insured party whether they're holding a title or not (but I could see this one being VERY different depending on where you are... banks wouldn't want to be on the hook for a wrecked car). Idk, I've always come out far, FAR ahead when being paid directly for damage and would have been comparatively screwed if I just let them handle it.

Friend of mine went through the same thing last year; she was rear-ended and the insurance company wanted to bring it into their shop to fix it. She asked me about it; I said get quotes and tell the insurance company you want to be paid directly - they pushed back slightly but grudgingly said ok. She got a check for $2,500 and got the damage repaired and repainted for about $600, good as new.