Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Getting my 10,000 Mile Maintenance soon. What should I ask for?

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Getting my 10,000 Mile Maintenance soon. What should I ask for the techs to do? I've seen that the transmission fluid is low from the factory. Should I ask them to top it up? Anything else you recommend I ask them to do (besides the issues I've already found)?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Do it yourself....I wrote a how to on Ravenol. I'd change that shit out....Ford fluid is mediocre at most. Rotate the tires and change the oil @ 10k

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I was given 6 free services with my car. I've had three oil changes done and tire rotations done in 8,000 Miles. After 3 more I will do it myself.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
Do it yourself....I wrote a how to on Ravenol. I'd change that shit out....Ford fluid is mediocre at most. Rotate the tires and change the oil @ 10k

In the future I will, but I believe it is included in the price of the car so why not?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I never used my oil changes...wouldn't want those monkeys throwing wrenches around my car....they can keep their free oil changes.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
In the future I will, but I believe it is included in the price of the car so why not?
There are a number of reasons why. For, starters, there's the cost of your time. Economists will tell you that you should value your time at the same rate your employer does. Unless you are flipping burgers for a living, the time you spend at a dealership would make these "free" services anything but. But, you'll say, then *I* have to spend MY time on doing the oil change the transmission fluid change, and rotate the tires? We'll, this brings us to the second reason of "why not".

The grease monkeys at the dealership who would be doing this are not master mechanics, and as such, your chances of having an oil filter torqued by a gorilla are quite high.

Now, having climbed down from my high horse, I have to admit there are obviously circumstances that would make it impractical to try and do it yourself - you live in an apartment with no place to get done, or you lack opposable thumbs. [emoji23]

Didn't mean to harangue you - just offering a view why you may want to do basic maintenance yourself.

(I have the benefit of having a lift at home, so this is a no brainier for me - I can change oil in 30 minutes).

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I never used my oil changes...wouldn't want those monkeys throwing wrenches around my car....they can keep their free oil changes.

They are a performance Ford dealer I trust them. They sell custom Richard Petty mustangs, and trucks. I wanted to maintain a positive relationship with a dealer for warranty work if needed. To each their own.

I can change the oil in about 10 minutes if I was doing it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
When I take it in I want to ask them to take care of the clunking in the transmission too. I believe this is to do with the half shafts? Do you think they'd take care of that for me?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
When I take it in I want to ask them to take care of the clunking in the transmission too. I believe this is to do with the half shafts? Do you think they'd take care of that for me?
The car is under warranty - so, it’s not a matter of the dealership’s feeling magnanimous. If they can replicate and diagnose the problem, it SHOULD be done free of charge. That is, if you didn’t mess with it... :)

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
The car is under warranty - so, it’s not a matter of the dealership’s feeling magnanimous. If they can replicate and diagnose the problem, it SHOULD be done free of charge. That is, if you didn’t mess with it... :)
Yeah, I haven't done anything to the car that will affect the transmission at all, so it should be fine. In yours and everyone else's opinions. Should I just say screw it and tune the car and hope for the best, or should I wait several more years or till I can find a helpful dealer till I tune the car?

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Yeah, I haven't done anything to the car that will affect the transmission at all, so it should be fine. In yours and everyone else's opinions. Should I just say screw it and tune the car and hope for the best, or should I wait several more years or till I can find a helpful dealer till I tune the car?
Tuning does not automatically void the factory warranty - unrelated failures, like your tranny issue, should still be covered. I had a couple of visits to the dealer when my car looked, sounded, and smelled very far from Kansas. No questions and no charges. People worry about having a non-factory tune when going in for warranty work - my advice is not to bother restoring, as they would still know (I believe there’s a tune “counter” in the ECU).

I’d mod the crap out of the car - that’s what I did with mine anyway. Modifying the FiST is one of the major reasons for owning one. As good as they are out of the box, there’s plenty of upside left.

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Tuning does not automatically void the factory warranty - unrelated failures, like your tranny issue, should still be covered. I had a couple of visits to the dealer when my car looked, sounded, and smelled very far from Kansas. No questions and no charges. People worry about having a non-factory tune when going in for warranty work - my advice is not to bother restoring, as they would still know (I believe there’s a tune “counter” in the ECU).

I’d mod the crap out of the car - that’s what I did with mine anyway. Modifying the FiST is one of the major reasons for owning one. As good as they are out of the box, there’s plenty of upside left.
I know it doesn't automatically just void the warranty, but my dad helped me purchase the car new mainly due to it having a good factory warranty, but he also likes me modding the car so.... I know the motor itself is very sturdy, but I could see an annoying service manager blaming a fault in the transmission on a tune, and boom, I get a $5000 bill I can't afford. It's just a big risk I'm afraid to take you feel? Anyways, thank you for your help.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I typed up a document, verbally went through it with the Service Manager, left a copy of the document on the front seat. It told them how to reproduce it, told them it was the dual mass flywheel, told them to contact me before doing any work. Week later... got it back with new half-shafts... which were also rusty... heard the same noise loud and clear before I even left the parking lot... and that was the second visit... and they didn't do an alignment after the unnecessary work... so not taking it back. Want sh* done right... :mad:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Yip. I takes me awhile to do oil changes because I'm learning more about my car/motorcycle with each change. I'm learning where all the components are around the vehicle. What normal wire and hose appearance and routing looks like. How my tires are wearing, new nicks in the wheels, on the hood, etcetera, etc, etc... Prior car, I was often aware of what it was before whatever it was actually failed. Hearing a little wacky but brief rotational squeal from the passenger side on a right turn? Had already spotted that torn CV joint boot several oil changes ago. Had already made plans to replace the entire vehicle because I spotted this on an oil change... https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhsZJDCN8kMMi0SCdJRT3OnhNv_1

Those are just examples. I'm never satisfied to just drive my vehicles. I must know something about them.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I know it doesn't automatically just void the warranty, but my dad helped me purchase the car new mainly due to it having a good factory warranty, but he also likes me modding the car so.... I know the motor itself is very sturdy, but I could see an annoying service manager blaming a fault in the transmission on a tune, and boom, I get a $5000 bill I can't afford. It's just a big risk I'm afraid to take you feel? Anyways, thank you for your help.
Not to belabor the point - the dealer would have to establish a causal relationship between the mod and the failed part. Just having run the non-factory tune “at some time” is not sufficient, IMHO. The duty is on them - but, if they are to be acting like dicks, you can take it to another place. I’m sure there are stories “out there “, but I wouldn’t just take their explanation at face value...