Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Getting rubbing on front left fender

So, I have an issue that's been getting worse over time. I have a significant amount of tire rub on my front left fender. Even slight inclines while turning will cause rubbing. Here is my set up:

Factory struts (80,000 miles)(no leaks)
Mountune springs
16x7 wheels with -42mm offset
205/50 Achilles ATR sport tires

I also rub going through big dips with the wheels straight.(Not rubbing outer fenders, but something in the wheel well.)

I have used an angle grinder to cut out the lower fender bolt and flange that previously rubbed with my last tires.

So, just looking for recommendations!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

So, I have an issue that's been getting worse over time. I have a significant amount of tire rub on my front left fender. Even slight inclines while turning will cause rubbing. Here is my set up:

Mountune springs

I also rub going through big dips with the wheels straight.(Not rubbing outer fenders, but something in the wheel well.)

I have used an angle grinder to cut out the lower fender bolt and flange that previously rubbed with my last tires.

Swap to an OE diameter equivalent, like a 205/45R16? You’re running around with a wheel/tire setup that is, at least 5% greater in diameter than the stock setup. While also decreasing your offset from the stock 47.5mm to 42 mm. Given that the width of the wheel is the same dropping your offset probably means that your wheel is sitting further inside your fender, unless you have some crazy recessed rim faces.

This is also ignoring the likelihood of Achilles producing tires that likely don’t really follow sizing as accurately as a normal tire brand.

So, to recap. You are lowered, running a more inboard offset (meaning the wheel will poke more because the width hasn’t changed) with a taller tire. Of course you’re gonna rub, you either need to lift your car or put on a smaller diameter tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Swap to an OE diameter equivalent, like a 205/45R16? You’re running around with a wheel/tire setup that is, at least 5% greater in diameter than the stock setup. While also decreasing your offset from the stock 47.5mm to 42 mm. Given that the width of the wheel is the same dropping your offset probably means that your wheel is sitting further inside your fender, unless you have some crazy recessed rim faces.

This is also ignoring the likelihood of Achilles producing tires that likely don’t really follow sizing as accurately as a normal tire brand.

So, to recap. You are lowered, running a more inboard offset with a taller tire. Of course you’re gonna rub, you either need to lift your car or put on a smaller diameter tire.

What if he just adds 5mm spacers? Are the mounting springs lowering it enough to rub 50 series regardless of offset?

I'm on 205/50-16, but not lowered. No plans now, but one never knows. Swift would be my choice.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I"m running an almost identical setup to yours (Mountune springs, 16x7 wheels with 42mm offset, 205/50/16 tires) and I don't rub even under full compression. Only difference would be Koni shocks instead of stock. Can you tell exactly what is rubbing where? Is any part of your splashguard broken or loose?

What if he just adds 5mm spacers? Are the mounting springs lowering it enough to rub 50 series regardless of offset?

I'm on 205/50-16, but not lowered. No plans now, but one never knows. Swift would be my choice.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
So wheel specs are a bit weird to think about. Adding spacers in the above scenario he’d just be exacerbating the issue with the introduction of spacers. Offset works in conjunction with wheel width, so seeing that the width has remained the same while the offset has dropped that implies that the actual wheel assembly will poke outside the fender by 5mm more than the OE wheel would.

I"m running an almost identical setup to yours (Mountune springs, 16x7 wheels with 42mm offset, 205/50/16 tires) and I don't rub even under full compression. Only difference would be Koni shocks instead of stock. Can you tell exactly what is rubbing where? Is any part of your splashguard broken or loose?
Your dampers could absolutely be making the difference. Consider that dampers resist motion and that they work in 2 directions: compression and rebound.

It could be that the koni dampers are resisting compression at a higher level than the OE dampers, which would net out to less suspension travel (generally considered bad) although I’m not gonna stand up here on a soap box and act like I know everything, because I don’t.

OP
briandee
Thread Starter #7
I've been thinking it's the springs or shocks. I've had these tires on for about a year now, and had very little rubbing at first. (Only on big dips or hitting a big incline while turning). Now it seems to rub a lot more. While turning, and hitting an incline, it is rubbing the fender enough to put a crease in the lip. When it rubs going straight, it is probably just hitting the liner. I have had the springs on for about 60k miles. Maybe just time to freshen it up! Was thinking maybe B8s or koni yellows with swift springs. Not too interested in coil overs at the moment.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
So wheel specs are a bit weird to think about. Adding spacers in the above scenario he’d just be exacerbating the issue with the introduction of spacers. Offset works in conjunction with wheel width, so seeing that the width has remained the same while the offset has dropped that implies that the actual wheel assembly will poke outside the fender by 5mm more than the OE wheel would.

Sorry, my brain is fried...I got it backwards. doh! I'm still at work and ready to head home... It's not weird to think about at all. I posted a few sites that calculate it all out. That's how I decided to buy my 16x6.5 SVT ET49.5 wheels. I added 5mm spacers to bring it down to 44.5. I run Indy 205/50-16, but factory suspension.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am on the same size 205/50-16s (but Neo Gens, so they are VERY wide in section width), but on 40ET, 16x8 Dekas, 30K mile fully factory suspension (but yes, driven down some VERY rough roads for those miles), and this setup does rub with some steering lock dialed in on slower speed turns, but mostly while braking at the same time, with some nose dive involved.

Sorry, my brain is fried...I got it backwards. doh! I'm still at work and ready to head home... It's not weird to think about at all. I posted a few sites that calculate it all out. That's how I decided to buy my 16x6.5 SVT ET49.5 wheels. I added 5mm spacers to bring it down to 44.5. I run Indy 205/50-16, but factory suspension.
It’s ok I had to reevaluate my statement to make sure I didn’t get it backwards the first time lol

Dpro

6000 Post Club
205/50 16 is 3mm taller than my 215/40 17 which is actually 4mm taller than stock.

You are literally adding almost a half inch in height with that tire size. I honestly think its overkill in trying to get sidewall. Which explains why it rubs at stock height on stock suspension.

Its pretty close to the equivalent of a 215/45 17 which most advise against running. One is better off trying to run a narrow 225/45 16 than a 205/50 IMO. My RT660‘s are 215/45 17 and run wide to the point of being within 1mm of section width from a 225/45 16
Dunlop Direzza DIII!

I get a slight rub lowered around a inch and half. I am about to roll the inner lip on my fronts and most like raise the coils a 1/4 inch . I could only imagine how much trouble it would be with the 205/50‘s on my 16’s.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club

Mountune springs

Check the inside of the fender and the fender liner here. You'll see some wear if this is where you're rubbing. This is where I was rubbing on the fender inner lip and the liner until I rolled in the lip and used a piece of rubber to push the liner up.

1619551219007.png

I was rubbing ONLY when wheels straight and hitting bumps and this was where it was.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Check the inside of the fender and the fender liner here. You'll see some wear if this is where you're rubbing. This is where I was rubbing on the fender inner lip and the liner until I rolled in the lip and used a piece of rubber to push the liner up.

View attachment 40130

I was rubbing ONLY when wheels straight and hitting bumps and this was where it was.
Ya thats the area I am rubbing under extreme compression. and I am going to be rolling my inner lip as well.

Do you guys think the federal tires run wider than the stock tires? Mine is rubbing on the struts to the point of exposing the wires, but the stock tires of the same size don't rub. I'm hesitant to get a new set of the federal and I like them a bunch. My car is bone stock, lol. Sorry I couldn't find anything on this and don't want to start a new thread. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Do you guys think the federal tires run wider than the stock tires? Mine is rubbing on the struts to the point of exposing the wires, but the stock tires of the same size don't rub. I'm hesitant to get a new set of the federal and I like them a bunch. My car is bone stock, lol. Sorry I couldn't find anything on this and don't want to start a new thread. Thanks in advance for the replies.
Assuming you are running stock size Feddys on stock wheels yes the tires run wider than the stock tires. The stock RE50 is a pretty narrow 205/40 17 its pretty much a rubber band.
As far as rubbing on stock struts it should not at stock height. More information would be helpful for the sake of understanding why here.