Welcome to the #1 Focus RS Forum and Focus RS community dedicated to Focus RS owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Focus RS Forum today!

Glue inside door causing waviness on the Focus RS panels

LonestarRS

Recently while detailing my Focus RS I noticed there were some waviness on the door panels. I had originally thought they were door dings so I took my car to a paintless dent repair place. They stuck a tool behind there and told me it was the glue that was causing the waviness on the door panels. Anyone else having this issue? Its very difficult for the camera to pick it up otherwise I would post some pictures.

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Damn! Now I want to go look at the doors.
So far I have not noticed this.

MKIIIRS

Staff Member
I'll check after work and report back.

Recently while detailing my Focus RS I noticed there were some waviness on the door panels. I had originally thought they were door dings so I took my car to a paintless dent repair place. They stuck a tool behind there and told me it was the glue that was causing the waviness on the door panels. Anyone else having this issue? Its very difficult for the camera to pick it up otherwise I would post some pictures.
Not sure about Ford but MB use to glue sound reducing sheets inside door panels. With a dark car, the absorbed heat was enough to cause the adhesive to release and the sound reducing sheets would peel off and stick to the windows. A dent repair service will usually slide a thin sheet of metal between the window and the outside panel to push against. Not sure how thick ford uses on doors. I'm sure they have a crash beam inside.

OP
LonestarRS

LonestarRS

Thread Starter #5
Not sure about Ford but MB use to glue sound reducing sheets inside door panels. With a dark car, the absorbed heat was enough to cause the adhesive to release and the sound reducing sheets would peel off and stick to the windows. A dent repair service will usually slide a thin sheet of metal between the window and the outside panel to push against. Not sure how thick ford uses on doors. I'm sure they have a crash beam inside.
[MENTION=156]Macmorgan[/MENTION] that is exactly the issue. Ford uses a foamy glue to adhere the door panels to the crash beam. With the heat it causes the glue to expand which results in the waviness. The repair shop said that they can detach the glue, but that means the door panels are going to be more susceptible to flexing.

With your being in Texas and from the looks of your car being black, heat is probably the problem. Sounds like a warranty issue. With MB, they fixed it. My car sits inside and is SG. Haven't seen the problem.

MKIIIRS

Staff Member
I checked mine earlier today and noticed on one side there is a slight wave in the panel. The passenger isn't as bad.

I think you might want to pull the door panel off and take a look inside. If it really is the glue causing the problem, you've got a warranty issue. My car doesn't get parked outside although it's been in the sun on some really hot days. I haven't seen any wavyness on the doors.

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
The guys from the dent repair place said it could be the glue expanding from the heat. Any issues with yours?
No, I don’t seem to have the issue. But I don’t think we have the extreme heat here. I also keep mine in the garage.

OP
LonestarRS

LonestarRS

Thread Starter #15
Thanks guys for the replies. I have an appointment this Friday for an emissions recall. Will bring it up with the advisor, if all fails I'll open the door panels and have a look.

OP
LonestarRS

LonestarRS

Thread Starter #17
Just a quick update: The dealer sent some pictures off to Ford to see if they'll approve it as a warranty repair.

GhostRS

1000 Post Club
Staff Member
Cool- keep us updated and fingers crossed it's not an issue for warranty repair.