Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

GR Corolla news

jeff

2000 Post Club
I'm saving up for the day a certain somebody puts a JDM CRX Si for sale......
Oh goodness. Thanks for the CRX love. Bought that car as a project to make nice (it was a C+, now it's a B+ maybe even A-...) but I'm just so in love with it I'm keeping it a bit. Crazy thing too, people are paying ~$17k for cars like mine, I just don't know that that would really happen but in this market anything seems possible.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Oh goodness. Thanks for the CRX love. Bought that car as a project to make nice (it was a C+, now it's a B+ maybe even A-...) but I'm just so in love with it I'm keeping it a bit. Crazy thing too, people are paying ~$17k for cars like mine, I just don't know that that would really happen but in this market anything seems possible.
Sell it in another 20yrs and you might be able to retire on it...not that i'm encouraging that or anything :p Thankfully, the FiST really is its spiritual successor. The GR, not so much. The more I look at it the uglier it gets. A bit gaudy. The Z or the new CTR are better choices.

ronmcdon

I think time will tell how well the GR Corolla stacks up. On paper its not bad at all when you compare it to the sti, golf r, and focus rs and evo. I think the Sti and Evo x are at least 300 lbs heavier. more likely than not it will be more performance oriented than the golf r with less intrusive infotainment.

I wont replace my fiesta with one, but definitely tempted to replace my evo x with one, but more likely than not wont as Ive sunken too much in parts already.

another gripe I have with the GR corolla is it is too tame looking. usually I prefer a car with more aggressive aero and ricey styling from the factory.

Last edited:

ronmcdon

Ya I am right there with you. Hence I am looking at the Z hard 400HP stock on a RWD car that is most likely a 100 lbs lighter than the Corolla and comes stick and looks great pretty much rings the bell for me.
I think thats a solid buy although hope the updates make it more than just a 370z with added power. I do wish they kept the hydraulic steering but I guess you cant have everything.

still quite a shame as who wouldnt be tempted to add more power to that engine and epa is being a real party pooper

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I think thats a solid buy although hope the updates make it more than just a 370z with added power. I do wish they kept the hydraulic steering but I guess you cant have everything.

still quite a shame as who wouldnt be tempted to add more power to that engine and epa is being a real party pooper
I am pretty sure they will they were kinda on a Mission to make a great Z . The platform is a solid base to start from and tweaks were what it really needed to shine. Ya they had to keep costs down so they worked off what was actually a great structural rigidity platform to begin with.

The 370 had dismal sales in part because of timing and it was not significant of enough tweak off the 350 beyond being a much stiffer version of the platform. I also think it did not help that rather than do the typical Nissan 3-4 year refresh they just kept on making the same car.

That was all Ghosn and Renault who wanted to take over Nissan and make it into a larger Renault.( Renault is a tiny car company in size compared to Nissan) Originally Ghosn was not that way but the Renault mindset set in after he was there awhile and it showed in what they were focusing on vehicle sales wise. Hence letting the Z and GTR languish.

One of my close friends buddy runs a Z shop in Santa Clara and has had one of the pre productions models for the last year. I have not heard anything negative about the car from them and they are dyed in the wool hardcore S30 Z people who have worked with all the Z’s.

If they like it that’s a pretty solid bet that Nissan got it right. Will it drive like a heavier car than ours oh sure but the thing is my M3 feels heavier because it is buts it’s no slouch when it comes to handling and making moves it should not be expected to make. Ya they did call them flying bricks.

So if they Z can drive like my M3 or better Nissan will have a real winner on its hands. I honestly think it will. Oh and my M3 in no way ever made me say it’s not as good as any of my 240sx’s in fact in a lot of ways it remind me of my old RB25DET powered S13.

So given Nissans adeptness at making cars perform beyond what they should , looking at you GTR! I am feeling pretty confident.

Last edited:

ronmcdon

Dpro

6000 Post Club
seems like pricing got leaked for the 400z
40k without lsd (not sure about brakes) to start seams reasonable but not sure about the 50k model.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023-nissan-z-sport-performance-price-msrp/
Ya just saw pricing in the Savage Geese pre lim review which was great and ya no selling the FiST this Z will be added to the stable. Of course quite possibly the M3 will finance at least half of the purchase. :LOL: Due to the insane rising prices of vintage M3’s.
View: https://youtu.be/ekEM3VyaDow

jeff

2000 Post Club
Savagegeese (among others) did a review on this, live today. A few interesting things:

1, he brings up the Fiesta ST as comparison...mu hah hah...
2, he says torque dies off before redline and it needs to be shifted beforehand...kind of like a stock ST...

Of course we're biased here but......initial impressions, aside from having more HP and TQ than a stock ST, seem underwhelming to this Fiesta ST owner.

seem underwhelming to this Fiesta ST owner.
Yeah, to me it seemed like the car felt rather boring to them overall and that they tried complimenting it where they could. Morizo looked like the only trim that was set up in an interesting way from the factory. Sure you can put different shocks on the other trims, but I don't want to do that stuff to a brand new (and already expensive) car.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Did anyone catch the Reason why they gave it the 3 outlet exhaust? Less back pressure! Hmm that's a mystery....why on earth would they do that?[drummer]

Dialcaliper

Did anyone catch the Reason why they gave it the 3 outlet exhaust? Less back pressure! Hmm that's a mystery....why on earth would they do that?[drummer]
It seems it’s basically a normal center muffler dual exhaust on the sides, plus a cutout valve for the center exhaust pipe that opens under higher RPM and bypasses at least part of the muffler to give a bit more flow/less backpressure.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/45026/heres-why-the-2023-toyota-gr-corolla-has-three-exhaust-pipes

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
It seems it’s basically a normal center muffler dual exhaust on the sides, plus a cutout valve for the center exhaust pipe that opens under higher RPM and bypasses at least part of the muffler to give a bit more flow/less backpressure.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/45026/heres-why-the-2023-toyota-gr-corolla-has-three-exhaust-pipes
I’m no engineer, but it seems more economical to me to just have the single high flowing exhaust.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Although back pressure is needed for normally aspirated engines, I have always found that little or no back pressure is better for boosted.
In addition, I have found that the least back pressure produces a lower pitch exhaust note.
Maybe they are trying to get away from the "Ricer" sound.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I made a comment in an email like this the other day, about a car looking "riced out", and the person called me extremely racist.
I want to apologize to anyone that may have interpreted my comment as racist, but I couldn't think of another word to describe the sound and make my point.
It would be uncommon for me to be racist toward the Japanese people as my wife of 51 years is Japanese (except maybe some of my in-laws).

Dialcaliper

I’m no engineer, but it seems more economical to me to just have the single high flowing exhaust.
You’re absolutely correct. Even dual exhausts are mainly dead weight - they’re usually there to give a “throatier” exhaust sound. Something they probably wanted with a little boosted 3-cylinder - the bypass gives flow, while the duals remain to add sound. Think of it as a heavier “symposer” for people outside the car 🤣

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
You’re absolutely correct. Even dual exhausts are mainly dead weight - they’re usually there to give a “throatier” exhaust sound. Something they probably wanted with a little boosted 3-cylinder - the bypass gives flow, while the duals remain to add sound. Think of it as a heavier “symposer” for people outside the car [emoji1787]
I knew a guy that took his dual exhaust and switched to a single for “weight savings” [emoji38]

I want to apologize to anyone that may have interpreted my comment as racist, but I couldn't think of another word to describe the sound and make my point.
It would be uncommon for me to be racist toward the Japanese people as my wife of 51 years is Japanese (except maybe some of my in-laws).
Yes, that was my response as well (never inteding to be). Evidently the current politically correct term is "Boy racered", so thats what I plan to use.