Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

GR Corolla Ownership vs Fiesta ST

Dpro

6000 Post Club
how do you see this being an issue? Other than parking lots or toll booths, maybe theres something Im missing here.
like just not comfortable driving right hand drive on left hand drive roads and for anybody complaining about CARB its perfectly legal to bring and drive any car that’s 25 and over in age .CARB has exemptions for that.

thats a really clean example. right under 40k is not bad at all for a car around 60k miles, given so many r33s and r34 would be over 100k.

how would a montana llc work? do you have any articles that would explain this process well? I have a house that I rent out in AZ, but sadly in Maricopa county where there is smog. almost tempted not to rent it out, just to register cars there, but that would mean losing out on rent money I can use.
Dig around their site (no affiliation - that's who I used) https://www.49dollarmontanaregisteredagent.com/. It's better than me paraphrasing, and they probably address other things you haven't considered.

What I also did to protect myself from harassment is to get an EIN, open a business account, and lease the car to myself (I carry paperwork in the car to avoid the "why do you have out of state plates" questioning). I'll pay my company to lease the car, and my company carries the car as an asset. I flip cars on the side, for fun, so this account is now used for that as well.

MOST people don't go through the added lease agreement.

...for anybody complaining about CARB its perfectly legal to bring and drive any car that’s 25 and over in age .CARB has exemptions for that.
That's not entirely accurate.

Even a 100% bone stock GT-R cannot be legalized in the state of California without going through a lengthy and expensive process. A slightly modified one, ha. Ha. HA. Nope.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
That's not entirely accurate.

Even a 100% bone stock GT-R cannot be legalized in the state of California without going through a lengthy and expensive process. A slightly modified one, ha. Ha. HA. Nope.
I was talking stock. So ya if you want to argue semantics of what I said we can but ya if I want a R32 GTR here I can do it. That is all I said , if you want to discuss the process well thats a whole off topic conversation and I really have no skin in that game as like I said before RHD on LHD roads no thanks . So ya let’s just end this here.

ronmcdon

ronmcdon

yeah not even worth it trying to register a jdm car in CA the legal way if one has to pay a 7500 to 15000 premium. defeats the purpose of owning one if you can't even modify it. many of the imported cars look likely to be modded as well.

yeah not even worth it trying to register a jdm car in CA the legal way if one has to pay a 7500 to 15000 premium. defeats the purpose of owning one if you can't even modify it. many of the imported cars look likely to be modded as well.
That's not the case for all JDM cars though (my understanding), but again, it's CA so what's the point. Just go through a Montana LLC and save the headache.

Dialcaliper

There are apparently some JDM cars that can pass CA emissions if a similar enough engine was sold in the CA, and CA emissions controls are fitted. Example SR20DET Silvia with emissions equipment from the Infiniti G20T, and Evo 7 with Evo 8 engine parts. As long as it more or less follows the CA engine swap guidelines (including emissions for model year or newer engine) you can get it through BAR. But bringing in something like a Skyline that doesn’t have an equivalent engine, you’re on the hook for the $7-8k of lab time to certify the full manufacturer battery of drive cycle emissions testing on a Dyno. It can be done, but $$$.

Where you can get in trouble with CA certification is if for some reason the car isn’t prepped well enough and fails one of the tests, the only way forward is to make other fixes and pay for additional repeat testing beyond the initial $8k

Dpro

6000 Post Club
There are apparently some JDM cars that can pass CA emissions if a similar enough engine was sold in the CA, and CA emissions controls are fitted. Example SR20DET Silvia with emissions equipment from the Infiniti G20T,
ahem G20’s never came with a Turbo. There was no G20T all SR’s in G20’s were 140hp NA . Ya owned a coilovered dropped P10 it was a fun car. Also oned a stock P10 and a couple of P11’s.[/QUOTE]

Where you can get in trouble with CA certification is if for some reason the car isn’t prepped well enough and fails one of the tests, the only way forward is to make other fixes and pay for additional repeat testing beyond the initial $8k
Which is why they deter anything but stock cars, not worth the nightmare that'll ensue.

Also, my smog contact told me that Skyline is a no-go regardless because OBD1 por, "The issue is the OBD1 and how if the car ever gets reffed it flags the smog shop. Also, most shops aren't keeping maintenance on obd1 machines."

Dialcaliper

ahem G20’s never came with a Turbo. There was no G20T all SR’s in G20’s were 140hp NA . Ya owned a coilovered dropped P10 it was a fun car. Also oned a stock P10 and a couple of P11’s.
[/QUOTE]
You’re correct - evidently G20t means “touring” not “turbo” 🤣

I looked back in the magazine article I had seen, and apparently it was done somehow using a JWT T28 turbo kit, which is CARB legal. Not sure if the kit is still in production, but there’s an EO number for it.

Basically at that point it’s a S14 240SX with a SR20DE swap, no JDM required unless you want the Silvia chassis.

Dpro

6000 Post Club

I looked back in the magazine article I had seen, and apparently it was done somehow using a JWT T28 turbo kit, which is CARB legal. Not sure if the kit is still in production, but there’s an EO number for it.

Basically at that point it’s a S14 240SX with a SR20DE swap, no JDM required unless you want the Silvia chassis.
which is weaker than a stock KA24DE S14 :ROFLMAO: considering the KA pumps out 150hp and 155 ft lbs TQ vs the SR with 140hp and like 135 ft lbs TQ in a 2750Lb car but ya S13 or go home at least for me.

Last edited:

Dialcaliper

which is weaker than a stock KA24DE S14 :ROFLMAO: considering the KA pumps out 150hp and 155 ft lbs TQ vs the SR with 140hp and like 135 ft lbs TQ in a 2750Lb car but ya S13 or go home at least for me.
By which I mean that doing an “engine swap” also makes you eligible for any CARB-legal modifications made for the “source” vehicle.

That’s yet another of the reasons LS and K swaps are popular as they also have a substantial aftermarket.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Saw that MotorWeek aired a skit on this vehicle. Pricey. Seems heavy. Large? 300 sounds nice though.

I keep 911 Assist turned off. It's in the menus for the vehicle. Not sure why that's an issue. Is this not an option for the Corolla like it is for the Fiesta?

OP
J
Thread Starter #58
Saw that MotorWeek aired a skit on this vehicle. Pricey. Seems heavy. Large? 300 sounds nice though.

I keep 911 Assist turned off. It's in the menus for the vehicle. Not sure why that's an issue. Is this not an option for the Corolla like it is for the Fiesta?
Haven’t looked into it for turning it off. Going to Watkins Glen in October and may need to then.

It’s lighter than things like the Golf R or STI but obviously heavier than non AWD cars like the CTR or Elantra N. The footprint is much smaller than the CTR though which made it attractive to me.

As far as pricing goes it’s, eh. Lot of bespoke parts on it but interior is very mediocre. Hoping to eventually get a Blue Flame Circuit Edition which will remedy my interior gripes and add the hood and wing for a bit more flare.

ronmcdon

There are apparently some JDM cars that can pass CA emissions if a similar enough engine was sold in the CA, and CA emissions controls are fitted. Example SR20DET Silvia with emissions equipment from the Infiniti G20T, and Evo 7 with Evo 8 engine parts. As long as it more or less follows the CA engine swap guidelines (including emissions for model year or newer engine) you can get it through BAR. But bringing in something like a Skyline that doesn’t have an equivalent engine, you’re on the hook for the $7-8k of lab time to certify the full manufacturer battery of drive cycle emissions testing on a Dyno. It can be done, but $$$.

thats really good to know, as Im definitely not ruling out importing an earlier model evo with the 4g63 engine on the usdm turbo eclipse. love my evo x and sad I missed the boat on the evo 7 and 8. jdm import seems a lot better deal and i think the jdm 7 and 8s were not as neutered as the usdm models with the yaw control diffs.