Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Grabby Brakes

Siestarider

I assumed my experience with grabby brakes in my 2014 FIST was just me and pedal modulation. Changed out brake fluid last weekend to FDOT 5.1 for tracking, also removed and miked the right rear pads for wear, still 70% good, so replaced and just visual checked the rest.

Suddenly brakes work very smoothly. Fantastic improvement. Old fluid only 18 months old, and brakes were grabby from day one. Flushed fluid light amber in color, I have no idea how color changes with time or H2O concentration, or if it changed at all over time.

But I have read of others who reported grabby brakes, so if you still have them, maybe changing out fluid is a solution. Or not, see update below.

Update 3/16/15 Just replaced rear pads after more tracking, realized that when I posted this I did not report turning the piston in a little to make it easier to get caliper back over old pads. DUH! Had to adjust them both to fit new pads, now believe the fluid had little or nothing to do with improvement, getting a tiny bit of slack between pistons and pads appears to be where the improvement came from.