Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Grinding/ chattering noise coming from front end

So I noticed my car making a grinding noise of sorts from the front end. It definitely sounds rotational, like gears not meshing, or like something is rolling around in the transmission, but its not crazy loud (have to have everything turned off to hear it). That being said, I put the car up on jacks and put the car in gear and I can't really hear it. I am running motul gear 300 in the transmission (changed it since the noise started and no real change). The noise continues even with the clutch in, or in neutral if the car is rolling. I also only really hear the noise at low speeds, don't hear it much past about 25-30. Any ideas? I am thinking maybe drive shafts or drive shaft bearings? Any advice or things to check are appreciated!

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Your description sounds like what my car has done since new. Little over 30k miles now, still does it, dealership told me "normal"

Intuit

3000 Post Club
If you're in the rust belt and your pads have dug into/worn the rotors, it could be the "lip" making contact with pad/caliper parts. If you do have worn rotors with a "lip", hose down the rotors and braking components to see whether the noise is temporarily affected.

OP
C
Thread Starter #7
82k miles. I've tried taking a video but its hard to hear. It sounds like maybe the diff? It sounds like gears but its the same whether or not the clutch is pushed in. I also feel like I can feel it through the steering wheel when in reverse. Its very odd. I've put about 7k miles on the car since I've had it, and it hasn't gotten any worse, but its just strange.

Also just heard my throwout bearing making some noise, but that goes away when I push the clutch in.

OP
C
Thread Starter #8
If you're in the rust belt and your pads have dug into/worn the rotors, it could be the "lip" making contact with pad/caliper parts. If you do have worn rotors with a "lip", hose down the rotors and braking components to see whether the noise is temporarily affected.
I have brand new powerstop Z26 brakes on it so I don't think thats it. It made the noise before and after changing the brakes