Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Grinding in Reverse

I can get into reverse but when I start to let out of the clutch it starts to make a grinding noise/feeling. It happens no matter how much gas I give it.

This problem happens no matter what the situation, under load or no load, I let the car sit in reverse for the flywheel to get to the right speed. Nothing seems to fix it.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or heard of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look up "shift cable adjustment". That's a wild guess. It's easier to take it in then do it yourself. You have to take out the intake and really the battery box/ECU to make it easier.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
ParsonsArmu
Thread Starter #3
Thanks, I was reading something about it on the forums but I can't tell... What am I looking to adjust it to?

Thanks, I was reading something about it on the forums but I can't tell... What am I looking to adjust it to?

You're resetting the maximum throw of the cable. So it will only help if the issue is incomplete engagement. I guess you could say you're adjusting it to the amount of throw needed. There's no measurement or spec. Unclip move to 4th reclip, it needs what it needs.

Again take it in if you can, that adjustment is a pain and if you need to diagnose it further there isn't much you can do.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
ParsonsArmu
Thread Starter #5
I can't really take it in since the dealerships shop is closed on weekends and I'm military. Can't take the day off.

Have you done the adjustment? I heard a lot of people have broken the clip which I cannot afford to do because that'll leave me without a car.

OP
ParsonsArmu
Thread Starter #7
Well, I followed the guide. Thank you for sending me the link. It didn't help with the reverse but it made all other gears feel much smoother.

I think the grinding in reverse is user error. I think I'm not giving it enough time. I'm gonna try double clutching next time I drive.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Well, I followed the guide. Thank you for sending me the link. It didn't help with the reverse but it made all other gears feel much smoother.

I think the grinding in reverse is user error. I think I'm not giving it enough time. I'm gonna try double clutching next time I drive.

Just a guess, but maybe you are giving it too much gas? I've found most times when using reverse if I ease the clutch in slowly, I don't really need to give gas much at all unless I am backing up an incline.

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
ParsonsArmu
Thread Starter #9
That's how I used to do it, but sometimes I have to back up into an incline. Seems that's the only time I have to give it gas but I don't see why that'd make it grind.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
No way to know for sure but I guess it doesn't hurt to take it in. My base Fiesta that I had before used to do something similar in reverse but only on occassion. I found that it did it less when I made sure the shifter was as far in as possible for reverse. Never had that problem with any other car though including this ST. I think maybe it was a cable issue like the one mentioned in one of the previous posts. I didn't know about that fix then.

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
ParsonsArmu
Thread Starter #11
Problem seems to be fixing itself or it was user error :p