Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Grooves form the track.

In the racing section I highlighted my experience at our local High Planes Raceway and compared the FiST vs my older Mini Cooper S. One of the takeaway's was the FiST's braking performance. Pretty much consistent after 3, 7 lap runs. Impressive, considering my times.

However, after the lapping, a grinding noise became apparent. I checked and the passenger front rotor is grooved. Not bad, but bad enough to make some noise.

Keep in mind I did not change the fluid or anything else on the car.

Going forward, it seems apparent that with the tracking I do, I'll need brake upgrades. With consideration of the OEM system's performance, I am leaning towards changing out the fluid and rotors. I'd get slotted rotors and something like an RBF 600 fluid and OEM pads. I believe that should reduce braking temps a few degrees and allow the system to deal with heat more effectively.

Any other ideas? Am I on the right track?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
You are on the right track and might wantto think about taking the dust shields off for track days as it will allow more air around the rotors

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Unless the pads were worn way down, metal to metal contact, you may of just got something under the pad that grooved the rotor.

Grooves are not a big deal unless pretty bad, the pads will just wear to fit them.

I second the advice to take off the dust shields.

Unless more mass rotors alone will not effect heat unless they are designed for better air flow through them like the curved vein GT rotors I am running onmy BBK setup, not sure if you can find a stock size rotor like that though.

Fluid will help in handling more heat without fading of course.

If you have further issues there is a moderate cost bigger rotor kit now available instead of a BBK but the BBKs are not very costly either, just pick the right parts and vendor.

OP
P
Thread Starter #4
Unless the pads were worn way down, metal to metal contact, you may of just got something under the pad that grooved the rotor.

Grooves are not a big deal unless pretty bad, the pads will just wear to fit them.

I second the advice to take off the dust shields.

Unless more mass rotors alone will not effect heat unless they are designed for better air flow through them like the curved vein GT rotors I am running onmy BBK setup, not sure if you can find a stock size rotor like that though.

Fluid will help in handling more heat without fading of course.

If you have further issues there is a moderate cost bigger rotor kit now available instead of a BBK but the BBKs are not very costly either, just pick the right parts and vendor.
link to bigger rotor kit?