Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Group 47 AGM battery conversion

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
No worries, glad to share. I measured the threads on the battery tie-down posts with a thread-measuring device which turned out to be metric M6x1.0 and found online that the road bike rim-brake caliper recessed nut was the same size.
I'd better grab some of these as well, since the way road bike tech is heading, there will be no more caliper/rim brakes soon, ONLY hub mounted disc/caliper setups. [:(]

Thanks again! [thumb]

I'd better grab some of these as well, since the way road bike tech is heading, there will be no more caliper/rim brakes soon, ONLY hub mounted disc/caliper setups. [:(]

Thanks again! [thumb]
Potentially, down the road, maybe. The UCI still has disc-brakes banned in the pro-peloton; that's what will determine when rim brakes fade out of existence.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Potentially, down the road, maybe. The UCI still has disc-brakes banned in the pro-peloton; that's what will determine when rim brakes fade out of existence.
AGREED, but I thought that they were allowed this year by the UCI?

Are they UCI sanctioned cyclocross legal yet?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am reviving this from the dead because I just got off the phone with Odyssey in Missouri, and the rep informed me that they ARE in production now for an AGM, direct fit/drop-in, 96R sized battery.

This is great news for those who want/need a FULL POWER option instead of a flooded lead acid replacement, but do not need/want a featherweight racing, (but MUCH lower CCA, reserve capacity, and aH) replacement. [thumb]

She could not give me any weight specs on this yet, but it will be 'within the range' of the factory Motorcraft as far as mass goes.
Like everything else for these cars it seems, of course these were delayed (was supposed to be released in early April) to a June release. [:(]

I was going to go with their PC1100, 5 pound lighter than the factory battery, but same/close/better CCA, reserve capacity, aH offering, but would rather not have to deal with Rube Goldberging a mounting system for it, and getting the terminal adapters to be able to use it with our factory cable ends/etc. [wink]

I am reviving this from the dead because I just got off the phone with Odyssey in Missouri, and the rep informed me that they ARE in production now for an AGM, direct fit/drop-in, 96R sized battery.

This is great news for those who want/need a FULL POWER option instead of a flooded lead acid replacement, but do not need/want a featherweight racing, (but MUCH lower CCA, reserve capacity, and aH) replacement. [thumb]

She could not give me any weight specs on this yet, but it will be 'within the range' of the factory Motorcraft as far as mass goes.
Like everything else for these cars it seems, of course these were delayed (was supposed to be released in early April) to a June release. [:(]

I was going to go with their PC1100, 5 pound lighter than the factory battery, but same/close/better CCA, reserve capacity, aH offering, but would rather not have to deal with Rube Goldberging a mounting system for it, and getting the terminal adapters to be able to use it with our factory cable ends/etc. [wink]
Any updates ?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^They now tell me that it will be past the first of the coming year before these are readily available on their site, or at any of their vendors/distributors (I guess they consider it a 'low priority' [mad]).

My OEM factory Motorcraft finally gave up the ghost the day before I was leaving to work the Empire State Rally, so I had to spend way more than I wanted to on a flooded lead acid replacement from AAA, to have them bring one out to my driveway.[:(]

I still want to eventually get the Odyssey 96-R 600, but now there is no rush for me, and I know that I will have a 'live' FLA battery to hook up in parallel to charge the AGM IF it ever goes completely dead. [wink]

Last edited:
I just had an issue on my 2016 not starting today. Hooked it up to an extra battery laying around and it fired right up, so I figured my AP had stayed on overnight and ran the charge down. I drove around and then parked it for four hours; came back out and it did not want to start again. Luckily Advanced Auto was opened today (July 5th), just shy of closing (20:30 call / 21:00 closing), and, most important, they had different tiers of batteries in stock. I brought home an AGM, 96R replacement from DieHard! https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...ery-group-size-96r-590-cca-96r-agm/12102917-P

Factory fit, fired right up, and a 3-year warranty.

It was kind of weird that it just up-and-died but it was five years old, which seems to be the use life of an automotive battery.

I know this is an old post, but does anyone have more photos of how the positive top mount post is setup after adding the group 47 battery which is 1/2" higher? I had to add a bolt in with 3 nuts to get the required height difference. My battery seems to be more than an inch taller.

Attachments