Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

H Street: father son adventure

OP
m3kerry
Thread Starter #141
That course was not a FiST course,, no way to take advantage of its size. Im betting the larger High HP cars did well.

WHat capture softwar are you running? I see your getting close to 6300rpm in a few places, did it ever hit the limiter??
I just shifted for third a little bit before the limiter

I just shifted for third a little bit before the limiter
OH... how did that go? We had a test n tune on a closed runway earlier this year. LONG sections on limiter (2-3 seconds), but whenever I tried for 3rd my times were worse. Maybe its a practice thing, but ended up feeling like the distraction didnt pay off.

OP
m3kerry
Thread Starter #144
That course was not a FiST course,, no way to take advantage of its size. Im betting the larger High HP cars did well.

WHat capture softwar are you running? I see your getting close to 6300rpm in a few places, did it ever hit the limiter??
To follow up. I like to get into 3rd gear at the start of the high speed stuff as it settles the car instead of bouncing off the rev limiter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
m3kerry
Thread Starter #145
OH... how did that go? We had a test n tune on a closed runway earlier this year. LONG sections on limiter (2-3 seconds), but whenever I tried for 3rd my times were worse. Maybe its a practice thing, but ended up feeling like the distraction didnt pay off.
It’s faster for me. Get the shift done early if you need to. Be in 3rd before the transitions

It’s faster for me. Get the shift done early if you need to. Be in 3rd before the transitions

Alright, ill have to play with it again. Packwood I may have hit redline for a half second either day, so didn't feel it was needed, but next course I am, Ill work on it.

Man looks good for both of you! You can see how flat the car is staying with the bar, and 2 separate slaloms helped you take advantage of it.
Good work!

OP
m3kerry
Thread Starter #152
LETS HAVE SOME THOUGHTS ON THE THOSE VIDEOS ABOUT SHIFTING FOR 3RD

Im on the limiter several times but did not think a shift for third would work

LETS HAVE SOME THOUGHTS ON THE THOSE VIDEOS ABOUT SHIFTING FOR 3RD

Im on the limiter several times but did not think a shift for third would work
Didn't seem like you were ever on the limiter for more than a fraction of a second? Based on my limited experiments with shifting to 3rd for short stretches, seems like shifting would have been a net loss.

Hmm, watching Joshua's run, right after the start, there is a period he is at 4500-6500 for a good 5-seconds, and varying in that range. Since peak torque is happening at 4500 (if I remember correctly), so maybe shifting at the start of that section, then only dropping out of it after the slalom could have give a few more mph in there without loosing much.

My attitude has been how long am I at redline in any given section, but maybe my attitude is how long am I over 4500RPM in any given section. Though in 3rd you would be well under 4500, so maybe its how long am I in the 5500+ range, and does that section facilitate going to 3rd?

This weekend I am headed down for an event at a go-kart track. They call it an enduro, as its 5 laps around the outside of the track, guessing those 5 laps is in the 2.5-3min range? That could allow a chance to hit some 3rd gear and keep it there...

OP
m3kerry
Thread Starter #157

Top 10 drive the same car one lap each as part of a challenge at the end

OP
m3kerry
Thread Starter #159
Not sure that is the car we all drove in the challenge. It was a challenge to drive.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Agree on the shift to third. Watched Joshua's run with that in mind. The run out is so straight and fast you should shift to third when you are accelerating and not go back to second until after the slalom and entering the twisty bit. On the way back the same happens to an even greater degree as he was over 6000 rpm quite a bit. So coming out of the twisty bit should shift up to third all the way to the end.