Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Harrys Lap Timer

Has anyone used it?

Do you/Can you still use your accessport and utilize the obd2 functionality of harrys lap timer?

It's a decent lap timer, worth the money if you don't have anything else. Pays for itself quickly if you were previously renting a transponder at every event. I've used it together with a bluetooth OBD2 dongle (useful to read and clear codes on virtually any car using your smartphone).

I don't know if it would work together with an AP. I suppose you could use an OBD2 splitter. I figure it depends on whether the OBD2 port can supply enough power to run both the AP and the bluetooth dongle. Also not sure if latency would suffer with both devices attached.

Siestarider

Happy someone started this thread, thanks Brick. I use Harry's Pro and AP, but separately (not interconnected).

Harry's offers very detailed lateral g forces, max and min speeds per turn, max speeds on straights, and lap to lap comparison for all the data. I have found it essential for understanding where I loose time/could gain time on track. Wonderful tool, and amazingly accurate according to the guys running both Harry's and transponders.

My next track day will include using the AP to log average speed, and speed of each front wheel. I want to understand where TVC intervenes with Quaife in corners, particularly on power exit. Harry's will provide simultaneous lateral g's, but I will have to read them side by side and take notes to relate the two separate data sources to the question at hand.

I have not tried downloading Harry's data to a spreadsheet, suppose if that works, AP data and Harry's data could be synchronized and a custom spreadsheet developed that would make understanding simultaneous lap records easier.

My next track day will include using the AP to log average speed, and speed of each front wheel. I want to understand where TVC intervenes with Quaife in corners, particularly on power exit. Harry's will provide simultaneous lateral g's, but I will have to read them side by side and take notes to relate the two separate data sources to the question at hand.
On that note, I do have an AIM Solo DL which records all of that.. and my car is currently at the shop getting a Quaife LSD installed. I'll happily share some logs after my next track :) .

Siestarider

On that note, I do have an AIM Solo DL which records all of that.. and my car is currently at the shop getting a Quaife LSD installed. I'll happily share some logs after my next track :) .
On that happy happy note, I will gladly defer. Your data logging capability is superior, and my next track day is Feb 16, a long way off.

Been using it for a number of years now. I use it with a GoPro 3 Black and an Automatic OBD2 dongle. There were some issues with sync between the OBD2 and the video, but those should be sorted now.

If you log using the AP, video using the GoPro, and log times with Harry's you can bring it all together using RaceRender.

http://racerender.com/RR3/Features.html

OP
Brick
Thread Starter #7
@carramod Thanks man. That's what im looking for!

I've been using Harry's for years. No experience using an AP with it however. Love the video recording feature with data overlay.

Love Harry's Lap Timer - I actually use DashWare to sync videos from my GoPro up with my logged data, but IMO, RaceRender is a little bit more user-friendly - DashWare I think has more graphical options (i.e. gauges), but RaceRender seemed to be far easier to use. Also, I had to manually map some of the values from Harry's Lap Timer to DashWare, which was a HUGE pain in the ass to figure out.

As for using it with the AP, I'm going to guess it's not possible, but I am really basing that on a very limited understanding of how the AP works (I only just bought my FiST last week!).

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I've got a Harry Lap Timer... If you know what I mean.

Move along, move along. Nothing to see here.

With the latest release, Harry's Lap Timer Pro is very good. I've had mixed results using OBD-2 on BT, and want to check out the OBD-2 splitters. The video is quite good, and faster iOS devices really do a good job.

I want to try an all-wired setup, so I'll poke around to see what's out there for OBD-2 splitters. I'd like to use my AP, OBD-2 port, and GoPro camera concurrently.

I don't even bother with transponders any more. Last time I checked, they agreed to .001" over multiple laps. Oh, I use a 10Hz BT connected GPS. I really hoped the newer iPhones would integrate a higher resolution GPS, but I guess they figure 1Hz is good enough for basic speed/location information.

Siestarider

Harry's Pro uses a cool interpolation algorithm vs gps track spots to recalculate time, so functionally its a lot better than hardware recording frequency would suggest.

But for maximum possible accuracy Harry recommends an additional gps module. I wish I was consistent enough lap to lap to need it.

I've seen good accuracy with interpolation, but I don't even like it when I'm out for a jog! My brand of OCD requires true accuracy! :)

External GPS modules are reasonably cheap, and very good.

I need to learn more about what's out there for OBD-2 splitters.

I use the Dual 150 external unit which maxes out at 5Hz. Just make sure to mount it somewhere that has a clear view of the sky. I use the 3M Command strips on the top of my windshield with the Velcro looking strips to hold it. The other nice thing about having a 5/10Hz GPS is that all your data is written at the GPS clock, so the faster the GPS, the faster data is written (includes OBD2 data).

OP
Brick
Thread Starter #15
With the latest release, Harry's Lap Timer Pro is very good. I've had mixed results using OBD-2 on BT, and want to check out the OBD-2 splitters. The video is quite good, and faster iOS devices really do a good job.

I want to try an all-wired setup, so I'll poke around to see what's out there for OBD-2 splitters. I'd like to use my AP, OBD-2 port, and GoPro camera concurrently.

I don't even bother with transponders any more. Last time I checked, they agreed to .001" over multiple laps. Oh, I use a 10Hz BT connected GPS. I really hoped the newer iPhones would integrate a higher resolution GPS, but I guess they figure 1Hz is good enough for basic speed/location information.
I'm glad you've joined this forum. Get back to us when you find out more about any successful OBD-2 splitters.

Thank you.

I bought a couple splitters (Amazon). They're cheap, so hey...

In limited testing, I can say that you can get parallel function (oddly not a universal trait on splitters!). It's not clear if all critical signal paths work the way I want.

I'm interested in keeping my AP online along with my ELM327 (in WiFi mode). I'll keep my external GPS on BT, and other external cameras on BT. My thinking is that there should be less bandwidth/spectrum contention with this.